1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by royj, Sep 29, 2010.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have tried "universal androot". It failed to run - may be it works only for Android 2.2 & below; mine is 2.3. Also tried "Super one click". It exited saying that the device was not recognized.

Regards
    Johnny
  2. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    @prakhar_lfc

My bad :oops: Sorry for the delay. Office work kept me very busy and added to that TFI went offline for many days.

Still interested in getting your Motorola Xoom rooted? I will send you the steps at the earliest by tomorrow.
    1 person likes this.
  3. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes I am interested in rooting my XOOM! :)
  4. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    Rooting Process - Part 1

Cool. Rooting is just like unlocking the device. Here's what you need to do to root Motorola MZ-601.

[HR][/HR]
    Prerequisites
    [HR][/HR]
    Get the Motorola USB drivers Motorola Drivers

Get the Android SDK to your laptop Android SDK

Download the above and extract the contents to a separate folder.(eg: D:\SDKTools)​

Recovery Image Tiamat Recovery Image

I've uploaded the file to filecloud. Download the file by clicking on the "free download" link​

Once the download is complete, place the recovery image in D:\SDKTools folder​

[HR][/HR]
    Rooting Process
    [HR][/HR]
    1. Power off your XOOM
    2. Press and hold the volume down button while pressing the power button at the same time. (Even if your xoom starts again, just keep the button pressed until you see "Starting fastboot protocol" on the screen.)
    3. Connect Xoom to your computer via USB.
    4. Open the "Command Prompt" in your computer and navigate to sdk folder. This is the SDK you downloaded above.
      eg: cd D:\SDKTools
    5. Connect Xoom to your computer via USB cable.
    6. Once connected, execute the below commands one after another.
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot oem unlock
      fastboot flash recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm
      fastboot reboot
      adb reboot recovery​

I tried my best to explain the process. If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please note that this is only Part 1 of the process. Next is installing the right ROM for your device. Rest assured once the above process is successfully done, you can still use your device normally. The only advantage you get is that you can now install any custom ROM of your choice that is compatible with your device. Update the thread once you are done with the above steps.

Happy Rooting.
    2 people like this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Today, I updated the Android version on my S2 to Icecream Sandwich. I couldn't notice any significant difference apart from the font designs. I may have to experience for few more days to notice more difference.
  6. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Get yourself a S3:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Looks you've become an apple fanatic. In my case it was a huge difference from gingerbread. Sony had improved a lot from their previous versions and phone was snappier. If your phone is out of warranty root it and put a custom rom to feel the difference.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    Did you use a custom ROM? or did you just went ahead and updated your S2 with ICS provided by the Samsung. If this is the case, then sorry to disappoint you, the update SUCKS big time. I didn't like it at all.

I waited for this update and after using it for a day or so, I went ahead and rooted it and applied a custom ROM (cyanogenmod) nearly 7 months back. I used a nightly build and trust me, this ROM rocks!!

Same here teky, my S2 felt soo much faster when I installed a custom ROM . It totally rocks and there is nearly 0 lag. Moreover you have soo much control over your phone.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is some information for me. I did not use any custom ROM. I just went ahead and updated my S2 with ICS provided by Samsung. I am not even aware of this Custom ROM. I am just hearing this :). Can you please elaborate more on this? Where can I get this and how this can be installed?
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    One of the main reasons why people root phones is to install custom rom
    I rooted my phone and removed almost all of the htc specific apps and some Google apps. .with just that I got nearly 100mb of ram free. ..

Most notable reasons to root are high performance, battery longevity by underclocking the cpu. .
    1 person likes this.