1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by royj, Sep 29, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    A CM10 stable is already out? I thought only 9 was.
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    No, I said a stable running build is out! They take a long time to release stable version so nightlies are the way to go. Which phone do you have?

OT - why are my posts showing as 'waiting Mod approval'? Am I in Team BHP?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Rooted and installed CM10/JB on my Defy+ just now. Loving it!
  5. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Yea CM10 is availablr for the defy+ and milestone! And for guys who own the Lg Optimus 2X, Lg has released the ICS in Korea, should be here by 15th of Sept! Its really awesome i must say..
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Review: WIUI ROM for Motorola Defy+

So I've tried many ROMs on my Galaxy Ace and Motorola Defy+. But nothing comes as close to perfection as WajkIUI Gingerbread 2.3.7 ROM. Before flashing this, I was on CM10 JB nightly build of Aug 28, 2012. Granted, it brought JellyBean experience to the Defy. But there were some real issues in it. Primary ones included - a very high battery drain (12-15 hours on 3G, with minimal calls/SMS/WhatsApp etc), data connectivity would not turn back on in morning and significant lag in opening the stock dialer, contacts and messaging app. Then there were many apps which were giving FC issues. I could bypass some issues by installing repalcement apps like Touchpal Contacts+Dialer and Go SMS Pro. But battery and data issues was making this a no-go for daily use.

I then came across WajkIUI's builds. He has made GB, ICS and JB ROMs. But ICS and JB are still experimental and I didn't want to take a chance. Although the Defy is a very well-spec'ced phone, I felt ICS/JB was straining it's hardware. So I decided to flash the 2.3.7 GB Build.

Boy oh boy, this one is a real beauty! Right from the visual appeal (fresh, fluid, a bit iPhone-isqe), memory utilization (very small RAM footprint) and the best part - a very well optimized battery. In the first two days of running with the same (probably a bit more) usage, I was able to extract 21 hours with 3G always on and about an hour of BT, GPS & WIFI thrown in as well!

There are some distinict differences vis-a-vis stock or other custom ROMs that I';ve seen in this one. There is no App Drawer and all app icons are placed on the homescreen itself. While this increases the number of screens, it reduces one click as well, which is otherwise required to access apps.

I find this ROM highly intuitive. Features for which you would otherwise need to download apps are in built (e.g. Call Blocker/Firewall, Better Battey Stats, Screenshot, 3G Watchdog etc. are already included). The Toggle screen is one full page and you can have upto 12 toggles. Very useful!

My Defy is significantly snappier with this ROM. Part of this is attributed to the fact that CPU is overclocked to 1.1 GHZ. But otherwise also, the dialer, phonebook, SMS & Browser apps open up in a snap. I have not required any third-party/replacement apps to perform basic phone functions. Though the stock browser is quite capable, I still chose to go with Dolphin.

I would definitely recommend this ROM for Moto Defy users. It is fast, stable and instantly lovable! Attached are screenshots.

2012.09.15-10.54.32.jpg 2012.09.15-11.29.15.jpg 2012.09.15-11.29.59.jpg 2012.09.15-11.30.07.jpg 2012.09.15-11.30.15.jpeg 2012.09.15-11.31.11.jpg 2012.09.15-11.54.53.jpg 2012.09.15-11.57.58.jpg 2012.09.17-16.00.41.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    1 person likes this.
  8. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S2 way long back. The official updates from Samsung sucks anyway..

Currently using CM9 nightly build 20120909. I didn't try to update it to CM10 as I wasn't sure if I can use it as a daily driver. Perhaps, I will update it with CM10 sometime next week and will share my experience.

I also have Motorola Xoom MZ601 version.. Rooted it too as I got tired waiting to get updates from Motorola. Started off with ICS and then updated it to JB ROM from TEAM EOS.. So far the experience has been excellent. Project Butter rocks :up
    1 person likes this.
  9. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Hurricane!

I too own a XOOM (in fact, am posting this message via my XOOM). I too am sick of waiting for the ICS update. Can you please explain the steps involved in rooting your XOOM?
  10. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Hyderabad.
    Sure, I will send you the steps involved. But first, which version of XOOM are you using ?
    1 person likes this.