1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android Thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by royj, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am latest entry with Galaxy S2, Just upgraded from Nexus S to Galaxy S2

For your info, I have been using Sygic 11 with MapMyIndia maps (all india 3d maps) since last 2 months on my Nexus S (GingerBread)
    Easily moved to Galaxy S2 (Gingerbread) and it is working even better (smoother) on 1.2ghz dual core.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Sorry for back to back posts,
    (Request to MOD, if needed please join them)

As I Just upgraded to Galaxy S2 from Nexus S

So, I might be selling off my Nexus S, Hence checking if anyone from Delhi NCR interested in my Google Nexus S

Nexus S (imported, as hasn't launched in India Yet)
    Unlocked and Rooted
    ROM: CyanogenMod 7.1 RC (replaced stock ROM)

Only 4 Months old, with all accessories, as good as new
    Screen Protector installed

List of complimentary software already installed.

List of a few Softwares:
    Sygic 11 with latest MapMyIndia 3d Maps
    Sygic 10 with normal MapMyIndia 6.0 Maps
    Dual Mount full - must for rooted android, connect android to computer without unmounting sdcard from phone
    WidgetLocker Full - A must for all Android
    CamCard Full - to scan visiting card to contacts directly
    CamScanner Full - Click n scan docs to PDF directly
    Document to Go - Full vesion
    Folder Orgnanizer Full
    CheckMark Pro - todo List
    Touch Calender Pro
    Astro File Manager Pro
    PrintShare Pro
    Converter Pro
    Fake-Call Pro
    ScreenShot It
    Root Explorer
    aCar Pro
    aCurrency Pro
    Torque Full (ODB-II diagnose tool)
    Car Locator full
    Start Chart full
    SkyORB Full
    Dolphin Broswer HD Full
    CardioTrainer Pro
    VitualGym
    20 Minute Meals full
    My Perfect Egg Timer Full
    IFitness
    Instant heart Rate
    Galaxy Tarot Pro
    Aldiko Premium
    Laputo Pro
    Moon+ Reader Pro
    DjStudio Full
    Camera Illusion Pro
    Color Pop
    photaf Full
    xPiano+ full
    MoboPlayer
    vidTrim Pro
    AgingBooth
    FatBooth
    TubeMate
    Instant Lyrics Pro
    Remote Desktop (work for all windows computer)
    iDisplay (use Android Screen as Second display to your computer)
    SECuRET LiveSctream Full
    SECuRET SpyCam Full
    TeslaLED
    MediaServer (Share contents on DLNA devices)
    Terminal Emulator
    Traffic Counter Full
    Unrar Pro (unzip all kind/formats of zip files)

List of a few Games installed:
    Angry Bird full
    Asphalt 5 Full
    NFS Shift Full
    Fruit Ninja Full
    Pool Break Pro
    Tank Hero Full
    Turbo Nanny Full

A Screenshot of WidgetLocker on my Nexus S
    20110704144542.jpg
    It is a real good tool, to have sliding shortcuts of multiple apps on lock screen
    quickly accessible for use

Like I have, Camera, VideoCamera, CamScanner, CamCard
    SMS inbox, Gmail, Torch, Phone on lock screen

Can also place Widgets on lock screen
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The Sense UI is much better than the Samsung TouchWiz! Also for some reason Samsung phones always feel a little plasticky, just tab from behind any Samsung phone. I do not been their build quality is any lower than HTC, just the way they feel in your hand. However their AMOLED screens are simply brilliant!

I am still using the original Nexus One with an original Nexus one Car dock! This has inbuilt 4 speakers with bluetooth. Works great for navigation :)
  4. Totally Agree that HTC Sense UI is way better than Samsung TouchWiz,
    but it is just a software, user can switch to other Launchers, like ADWLauncher or Launcher Pro

I personally like and using ADWlauncher Ex over stock launcher.

Build-quality and look n feel are subjective and personal choices
    Samsung may look platicky and fragile but as per my personal experience all three of my samsung devices (i900, i8000, Nexus S) had tough time with me and survived many hard jolts and drops

Just sharing an interest video on Galaxy S durability test,
    What more we can expect :)

Not only samsung, I believe that now a days all of the high-end phones come with real tough-skin
  5. Dear android gurus,

I'm back after paying a quick visit to a mobile shop near my home, along with my dad. We can across a sparingly used Samsung M110S Galaxy S which is up for sale @ Rs 16.5k, obviously with no warranty card and accessories(except mobile charger and headphone)

I would like to get few queries cleared, before buying this phone :

1) The phone currently runs on Android 2.1 (Eclair). Will I be able to upgrade it to the latest version, say 2.3.3?

2) Is it worth spending Rs 16.5 k on this phone?

Thanks in anticipation. :)

PS: We've a good relation with the shop owner and have bought multiple phones and other goodies from him. That said, if something goes wrong, he'll surely take back the phone and return the money! For the record, I bought my LG Optimus One P500 from him, for ~ Rs 5.5k :D
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Have you checked around for a used HTC Desire HD. Cousin recently got a month old one for 15k and it's a bloody nice piece of equipment. It's a tad big though.
  7. Yeah if you get desire HD with Gingerbread 2.3.3 nothing like that, but its price is beyond 24K. Galaxy S is a good machine , but I doubt that it can be up gradable to 2.3 (I am not sure). Recently, I come across Spice MI410 (1GHZ and 2..2 Froyo and 4.1 capacitive screen) it is re branded Huawei phone in India market, amazing specs and great touch screen and can be up gradable to 2.3.3. Please check igyaan.in for more info on mi410 or any other phone.
  8. It seems to be a good deal. But 16k is a bit higher considering that a brand new one is for around 20k, with all accessories and warranty.

If possible bargain it for 13-14k.
    It will be vfm.

Guys am searching for a new phone.
    Currently use an n8(nokia).please advise.
    I already used Sony erricson xperia x10 mini pro a while back and had an iPhone( the first one 2g)
  9. Bought Motorola Defy for my sis on Rakshabandan. Amazing phone.... It is life proof (water resistant, dust proof and scratch resistant). You can check the water resistant tests on youtube. The Gorilla Glass makes it really beautiful. I am using moto XT502 which to has Gorilla Glass. The phone has 3.7 inch screen with 480x854 display which is brilliant. The phone runs on (2.2 Froyo). Other specs are 800Mhz processor, 512 RAM, 2GB internal memory, 5MP auto focus camera, DLNA. Dont worry about 800 MHz as it works amazingly smooth. Video is actually a delight to watch to due high resolution. I got it for Rs. 15.8K in Pune and I would recommend this if you are buying a new phone. I will not disappoint you.

I would not recommend running Eclair/2.1. Check if you can upgrade using custom ROM. I have been using custom ROMs since few months. Choose a stable 2.2 instead of using buggy 2.3. I haven't come stable 2.3 ROMs. Samsung has already released Galaxy 2 which mean there will be less focus on upgrading original galaxy to newer version of android.

Specs wise SPICE/Huawei is very nice. Somehow I could not find it in stores. How is the service for SPICE? I was reluctant to pay 14K for SPICE phone hence opted Moto defy.

It depends on your budget. For mid-range, I would definitely recommend moto defy. Sony has come up with Xperia mini with better specs however it has only 3 inch screen size. After using Android for a year, I would say that you should have minimum 3.5 inch screen and battery 1500 mAh.
  10. Bought Motorola Defy for my sis on Rakshabandan. Amazing phone.... It is life proof (water resistant, dust proof and scratch resistant). You can check the water resistant tests on youtube. The Gorilla Glass makes it really beautiful. I am using moto XT502 which to has Gorilla Glass. The phone has 3.7 inch screen with 480x854 display which is brilliant. The phone runs on (2.2 Froyo). Other specs are 800Mhz processor, 512 RAM, 2GB internal memory, 5MP auto focus camera, DLNA. Dont worry about 800 MHz as it works amazingly smooth. Video is actually a delight to watch to due high resolution. I got it for Rs. 15.8K in Pune and I would recommend this if you are buying a new phone. I will not disappoint you.

I would not recommend running Eclair/2.1. Check if you can upgrade using custom ROM. I have been using custom ROMs since few months. Choose a stable 2.2 instead of using buggy 2.3. I haven't come stable 2.3 ROMs. Samsung has already released Galaxy 2 which mean there will be less focus on upgrading original galaxy to newer version of android.

Specs wise SPICE/Huawei is very nice. Somehow I could not find it in stores. How is the service for SPICE? I was reluctant to pay 14K for SPICE phone hence opted Moto defy.

It depends on your budget. For mid-range, I would definitely recommend moto defy. Sony has come up with Xperia mini with better specs however it has only 3 inch screen size. After using Android for a year, I would say that you should have minimum 3.5 inch screen and battery 1500 mAh.