1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android based infotainment system for Linea T-Jet on a shoestring budget.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Visiting this thread after a long time. Thanks to Rajeev Pillai, I got this DC-DC Buck Converter from ebay, to charge the tablet. Here is the plan:

1. There is hollow underneath the ACC controls, just ahead of the cup holders
    2. In the GP this is open and seems to have enough room to hold a mobile phone
    3. In the Linea, this hollow is covered by a sloping piece of plastic like this

WP_000433.jpg

The plan is to add another cigarette lighter socket in that space. Additionally, also add the DC-DC converter to charge the tablet, a female USB port and a female 3.5 mm stereo. The additional power point is to help charge a mobile without the wires coming in the way of the gear shift / hand brakes, the DC-DC exclusively for charging the tablet, the female USB will be wired to the USB of the B&M unit, to enable plugging in a thumb drive, without twisting in unnatural positions and the stereo for connecting AUX-IN (I have not given up hopes fully, yet :D)

Question to experts - I know that the DC-DC circuit will generate some amount of heat. I am planning on putting the circuit in a box like this

WP_000432.jpg

Do I need to drill holes for heat dissipation? Will a bunch of holes above the LM2596 chip suffice, or should I drill holes all over the surface? Electronics experts, please advise.

Rajan
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Let me remind you that the output voltage need to set first. Use a multimeter and turn the potentiometer to adjust the output.
    The box seems to be perfect for the converter. You can drill holes where the mounting screws are. Attach a small aluminium sheet, which may act as heat sink.

Rajeev

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the quick response Rajeev. I already checked the voltage. It was preset to 5V output :D. The box is a Tic Tac box. Will 2 holes, where the mounting screws go, be sufficient? Also, where do you suggest adding the aluminium sheet? Outside the box?

I just opened the plastic panel and realized why it was closed. The AC piping to the rear AC outlet are fixed there. No room for a Cigarette lighter socket. The rest can fit, though.

Rajan
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    On the board there are two holes for mounting screws. Drill two corresponding holes on the box. Also two on the opposite side to pass the screwdriver. Fix the aluminium plate outside the box.

Rajeev

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Today only I got chance to test the DC-DC converter.
    I have two of them one for carputer monitor @12V while other for usb hub @ 5V.
    I couldn't find a tic tac box, so used a small plastic jewelry box (donated by better half).
    The on/off switch points given on the board is of no use, leave it as is. Need to trace the circuit to find out more on this.

The default output voltage was 5.5V on the volt meter, adjusted it to 12V for the monitor and connected the monitor to test under load.
    Current drawn by the monitor is less than 1 ampere. As expected and described above, the circuit gets heated up, but within tolerable limits.
    I kept it for hours and it is working fine without heat sink. However it is better to use a heat sink which will be fixed tomorrow.

I am planning to use an aluminium sheet larger than the size of the box and drill a couple of holes to it.
    The heat sink also can be used as a clamp to attach it to some metallic frame if i found a suitable place.

Rajeev