1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android based infotainment system for Linea T-Jet on a shoestring budget.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Visiting this thread after long.

PatchyBoy, this is really awesome DIY for the tab holder! I would be interested to get such a thing done for my Palio. I have a DIY friend whom I will take help to get such a clamp done. Greatly appreciate you sharing details :). More than the clear visibility, what I liked most is the position that the clamp is fitted doesn't get too much sunlight and hence the tab wouldn't get heated. If on the windshield, it would get super heated all the time. Would it be possible to conceal the tab in any way? I would love to be lazy and leave it as it is and not worry about removing it, keeping in dash or carry it home and refitting on next drive.

I have been using a suction mount for my 7 incher Chinese tab. Works well. Ever couple of weeks it falls off. I don't care for the unit since its Chinese and it continues to work. The droid bug has bitten me too. What VFM 7 incher tab would you suggest with 1 gig RAM, dual core, GPS and BT? I did extensive research and found that Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 - Samsung: Flipkart.com is the best choice.

Other options are to buy a similar tab from other manufacturers and then add BT, GPS and possibly a memory card too, and may some small accessories for the charging for BT/GPS too. Wouldn't the sum of it come up close to the Samsung tab that has everything in house?

For me brand don't matter. I have a lot of faith in all these VFM companies like MMX/Karbon and all.

Let me know if there is better tab + accessories you know of that can come cheaper than the Samsung
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3110 does not seem to have built in Bluetooth or GPS. If given a choice to buy a tab now for the same purpose, I would buy one with Bluetooth at least. I have found that my ActivePilot external Bluetooth GPS receiver is far more accurate than the built in GPS in my Windows Phone.

The only issue I have with my current setup is the external BT receiver. It works fine, but is an eyesore. You might want to check the Ainol range of tablets. There are very good VFM.

Rajan
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    TAB2 P3100 has all the features along with calling facility. Price is around 15k
  4. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Galaxy tab 2 P3110 has BT and GPS (Glonass), no calling facility. Attached are the screenshots from Flipkart and Snapdeal. I hope they havent advertised wrongly.

I did research Ainol:
    Ainol Novo 7 Crystal II - 6990/-
    Pros - Quad Core, 1 Gig RAM. Would be good enough for any apps and will not have lag. Also its latest Jelly Bean, 16 gig storage
    Cons- No BT, No GPS

Ainol Novo 7 Rainbow - 4490/- (OUT OF STOCK)
    Pros - Super Cheap
    Cons - 512MB RAm, Single core. May be an issue for future map s/w and can get very slow. No BT, No GPS, very less internal storage

Ainol Novo 7 Venus - 8990/-
    Pros - Quad core, 1 gig RAM, 16 gig internal storage, latest Jelly bean, fast processor
    Cons - Expensive, No BT, No GPS

So, if I have to go for Ainol, I will have to choose Crystal II thats 7k/-. I will then need to buy a GPS adaptor (couldnt find online easily except at dx.com) and a BT adapter. Rough estimate would be 2k for both these devices? So cost would come up to almost same as Galaxy tab 2 P3110 but the setup with have a quad core and a few extra wires :p

So, if Galaxy tab 2 P3110 really has GPS and BT, isnt it worth?
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    go for iball slide recently i have bought it from naaptol it has GPS(Not standalone rather A-GPS) and BT as well its cheap deal.

iball 6309i slide

when i purchased it was 4997 last month now its 5699 :eek:
  6. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Oh! Never seen rising price like this. Did you find any appropriate gps receiver? If yes please share the link

Sent from my Karbonn_A18 using Tapatalk 2
  7. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Thanks for the iBall suggestion. I like it. iball 6309i slide is history I guess. Not available/Discontinued

Close to that is: iBall Slide 6309r Tablet - iBall: Flipkart.com

Price looks very yummy. 1 GB RAM should do wonders!

Please suggest me what GPS receiver I should buy. I am not just able to get a hang on how to choose it and how to connect to the tab. Many thanks!
  8. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I doubt it. Operating Systems: Windows 98 / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7/Mac OS 8&9 / Mac OS10/Linux 7.3 / 8.0 /9.0, says the website. No mention of Andriod. Even if it does, it is USB, meaning a hanging cable or a protruding dongle. I searched for the Jentro ActivePilot Bluetooth GPS receiver I have, but am not able to find it :(

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  10. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    Yes, that was the first thing I too had done. My inclination is now leaning towards Galaxy tab 2 P3110. I would wait till Monday to see if Flipkart gives the Monday offer of 5% off for electronic items.

[Had forgot to attach the images of Flipkart and Snapdeal showing the GPS and BT feature on this tab. Attaching now]

samsung.jpg

snapdeal.jpg
    1 person likes this.