1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android based infotainment system for Linea T-Jet on a shoestring budget.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can get it done from a local electronics repair(TV, CD player repair) shop. With the help of voltage regulator IC LM7805 you can get 5V from 12V input at very low cost than with what is shown on link. Source IC and other components required by yourself(so that you can buy good quality components) and get the circuit assembled from the electronics repair shop or you can google for dc-dc transformer and assemble it yourself if you can solder the components to a breadboard.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Created a new mount for the tablet - fabricated out of a headrest mount and some DIY. I like the location, but the bloody thing rattles a bit. I have another design in mind, which would have a better fit, hopefully. Will post a detailed design, fabrication and fit DIY guide, if successful

Also rerouted the 3.5 mm pin through the glove box. The external BT dongle will also sit in the glove box.

WP_000179.jpg

Also, a quick question for electronics gurus - I am planning on putting an extra cigarette lighter socket, right next to the B&M module in the glove box. If I were to use a Belkin USB charger adapter - 12 V input / 5 V 1 A output and snip an old USB cable and just wire up the red and black wires to a barrel connecter, so I can charge the tablet on the move (the only USB port on the tab is used by the BT dongle, so need to use the DC in option with a barrel connector), will it work? I have tried using the old Nokia car charger at 0.8 A output. It charges fine, but with navigation screen on, the tab discharges faster than getting charged. :A

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. harishgayatri

harishgayatri Amatore

Mulund, Mumbai
    The Discharging problem is present with all AllWinner based Tablets.

I have a setup similar to yours currently it is not yet complete. I have already got the tablet, but the GPS Dongle & The tablet stand are on their way from Singapore.

Will post the setup as soon as it reaches & is tested.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I would not term it as discharging problem. The battery life of the device is pretty decent. Even with continuous usage of GPS / Torque (both have the screen on all the time), the battery lasts for 3+ hours, not to mention background music and Bluetooth. Also, this tablet has a Amlogic 8726-M6 Cortex-A9 dual-core 1.5 GHz processor - not Allwinner.

The challenge is to find a charging source. The existing power socket, next to the handbrake is not really convenient - I hate dangling wires. I think I have found a solution. Planning on completing this project today / this weekend. Fabricating the dashboard mounting clamp could be the biggest challenge.

Watch this space for details :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. sushilbiddu

sushilbiddu

Karnal
    I bought Huawei Ideos S7 for 7000 with Android 2.1, AGPS, SIM calling and 3G/Edge data, 720p HD display, Bluetooth. All features packed tablet. Use Navigation by google for navigation. I bought ELM327 OBDII scanner and connected it with Torque and using it as HUD. Bought one Bluedio stereo bluetooth headset and connected with AUX to remove AUX cable shown in picture by you. Cantact me for innovative DIY ideas.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @sushilbiddu - Thanks for the tips buddy. Not sure if you read through the whole thread. I already had this tablet, which was sparingly used by my wife. The whole project was built around the tablet and this was not bought specifically for this project.

I did a quick compare of vital statistics of the Huawei Ideos and Ainol Elf II. Here is what I found:

Huawei Vs Ainol.JPG

Having said that, I do sorely miss not having internal Bluetooth. Would have surely eliminated the extra cable. I do have a couple of questions for you:

1. When you say BT stereo headset, how do you play music from the car's stereo? Or do you wear the headset? Wouldn't that mean that passengers in the car will not be able to hear anything?
    2. When you say connected to AUX, how do you mean? Not sure what you drive, but is it B&M equipped? If so, how did you get AUX?
    3. Where is the tablet mounted in the car and how? Pictures would be nice.

Also, why don't you please post up your innovative DIY ideas, so more TFIans can benefit.

Thanks,

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  7. sushilbiddu

sushilbiddu

Karnal
    If you have B&M then you need not have bluetooth headset but in case u dont have B&M you can connect Bluedio with AUX.

For DIY https://www.facebook.com/sushilbiddu#!/pages/Do-It-Yourself/421495531232214

And also contribute.

Thanks
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    How? Could you please explain? AFAIK, B&M does not support A2DP.

Rajan
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

nice.. work..
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Can you please explain how you managed to fit the headrest mount to the front panel? If you have the new design please provide a detailed description for that also.