1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android based infotainment system for Linea T-Jet on a shoestring budget.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Very good & wonderful mod. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing with us. It will be really helpful to others. :)
  2. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    First Use Impressions

I decided to check out how it performs in real time. So set up navigation from home to work - 17 kms on my usual route. The App calculated a different route, 14 kms. As I know that the shorter route has bad roads, innumerable speed breakers, one railway gate and maddening traffic, I always take the longer route.

Started driving and the system prompted me to take a right turn at the end of the road. I took a left. The system just recalculated the route in 2 seconds - no announcement about recalculating. I was very pleased. This is something I was always annoyed about with earlier navigation tools I had used. I mean, I have already made a wrong turn, so go ahead and tell me how to get along. Why announce that I have deviated from course and claim that you are recalculating? Just do it :D

Since I could not think of any other place to mount, I mounted the tablet on the driver side visor. Suited me the best. As for today, I had the tab held up with rubber bands. Have to find a better solution. Bluetooth and screen always being on did drain the battery a bit. Started from home with battery at 87%. 17 kms and 40 minutes later, arrived destination with 74% remaining. I do have a old Nokia car charger that fits this tab, but hate it with wires crisscrossing all over the place.

Smooth
    Precise directions
    Just the right amount of voice instructions. No chatter
    Auto-zoom at junctions where one needs to make a turn

Dislikes:
    Drains battery
    The tab is very reflective and reading is a tad difficult in bright light conditions
    The Bluetooth dongle is an eyesore, hanging from a cable :A

Though the Navfree website says that voice will be routed to the car speakers if paired and connected with BT, could not make it work. The tab paired with B&M fine, but the voice still comes from the tab's speaker.

To Do:

Figure out a way to properly mount the tab to the driver side sun visor
    Wiring to the visor for charging the tab
    Arrangement for the BT dongle to be less conspicuous and less of an eyesore
    Power source to charge the GPS receiver. Right now it is sitting on the small tray above the central console

All in all - very satisfied with the setup. Will try to explore unknown routes tomorrow in the Tirupathi trip.

Rajan

@Pronoy - I bought the device from ebay in July for 7990. As with all electronics, prices would have certainly gone down.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Rajan,
    Nice setup there and good to hear it works well too.
    Happy Journey for your Tirupathi trip :)
  5. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,
    You got a nice navigation setup. One doubt, is this tablet same as Karbonn Smart tab1?.

Sent from my SmartTab1 using Tapatalk 2
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks buddy.
    Slightly better, I guess. 1.2 GHz Dual Core Vs 1.5 GHz Single core and 1024 x 600 Vs 800 x 480

Rajan
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

this looks super cool. Do post more reviews as you use it. Thank you for introducing me to Ainol brand.
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Just got back from Tirupathi. The navigation setup is awesome. Guided me through Chitoor town with pin point precision. Only downside - Drains battery. The Nokia car charger is unable to keep pace. With continuous use, the battery drains faster than it gets charged. Switching off the display when doing straight highway stretches helped. Will have to do find a better charging source.

Apart from that - awesome is the word.

Next in line - get a ELM OBD2 scanner and use the additional capacity of the tablet :D

Rajan

9. :eek:fftopic how was your trip??
  10. funkykar

funkykar BANNED

Bangalore
    I am waiting to see where and how you would be fixing the GPS in the car. I have a 7 inch cheap Chinese GPS (works great) and the suction mount I feel will give away soon as the device is large and not too light. I will take cue from you on where else or how ould put up my GPs in my Palio