1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android based infotainment system for Linea T-Jet on a shoestring budget.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    All,

Took up this project as a DIY of sorts. First, a picture, before the story

WP_000136.jpg

Components used:

The Tablet
    Ainol Novo 7 ELF II 7" Tablet with 8GB Storage, Dual Core A9 1.5 Ghz & 1GB DDR3 RAM

The GPS Receiver
    Jentro Bluetooth Wireless GPS Receiver

Bluetooth Dongle

Some generic make, bought a few years back

Foldable Desmodromic key - placed in the photo to get an idea of the size of other components :D

Software used:

The tablet runs JB based Cyanogen Mod from here

Additional Software - Bluetooth GPS and Navfree - with India map, both available for free download from Google Play Store

Steps:

1. Connect the Bluetooth Dongle to the tablet using USB OTG cable and turn on Bluetooth in settings
    2. Search for and pair the GPS receiver - one time activity
    3. Start Bluetooth GPS App. The receiver shows up. Tap connect and wait for the BT LED on the device to stabilize
    4. Start Navfree

That's it. You are done.

Now the cost

1. Tablet - Rs.7990. Actually bought it as a gift for my wife. She likes to connect the tab to the TV with HDMI and watch youtube videos about chocolate making (her hobby)
    2. GPS receiver - Rs. 1749. Ordered yesterday and was delivered in 24 hours flat
    3. Bluetooth Dongle. IIRC I paid Rs. 150 a few years back.

The GPS receiver is very well built and got a satellite fix in less than 30 seconds. I fired up Navfree and it pin pointed my position almost accurate to the metre.

Why not a dedicated GPS device, one may wonder. Since this is a proper Android tablet, I can connect and post FB updates during travel, check my mail and of course this forum when I stop for a break, possibly get a ELM 327 OBD II Bluetooth Scanner and install Torq and use it as HUD (Thanks Viny), figure out a way to connect a camera and use it as a reverse assist, copy movies on the external SD card and use as an entertainment unit and my wife can still connect to the TV and watch youtube, when we are not travelling :D

This is just a first impression. Haven't decided on how and where to mount the device in the car, how to keep everything charged, and how it actually performs as a navigation device. Will post up observations as and when I make them :D

Rajan
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    10 people like this.
  2. Good work Rajanji,hows the battery life of this tablet??and the maps you are using are free or paid??
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Arnab - Have had the tablet for a few months now. Very decent battery life. Wife uses it almost 2 - 3 hours a day, checking mails and watching youtube stuff and the device needs charging every alternate day. The build quality is also very good. If you ask me truly VFM. BTW, just found out that the old Nokia car charger, the one with the fat pin, fits the device perfectly. That solves the issue of charging the device on the go :D

I have installed Navfree and Openorg maps. Also installed Google maps and Google Navigation. All are free. Planning on using it this weekend for the planned Tirupathi drive - I know the route, just want to see if the device does :D. Will post up once I use it on the highway. The GPS reciver claims a 11 hour battery life. Haven't tested yet.

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. TheDrifter

TheDrifter Amatore

Hyderabad
    Im still wondering, How the tablet is using Data connection to load maps based on GPS dongle signals? Can you please enlighten on this point?
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That is the fun part. Navfree app and the associated maps are already downloaded and installed on the device. No need for a data connection. The App is awesome. Calculated the route from my house to a vague address in Ludhiana (lifted off a website :D) in 2 seconds flat. All without a data connection.

Rajan
  6. When you leaving for tirupati,i mean at what time?
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Planning on 4:00 AM, Saturday the 6th October.

Rajan
  8. By what time will you be crossing kr puram?max by 4:45 i guess,i might come to say a quick hello if you dont mind..
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    :D :D

I live after KR Puram, close to Sivas Road. Shifted there, because my kids (the lab and the GSD) needed lots of space and I love to cycle on Sivas Road. So I won't be crossing KR Puram at all.

Will Call you sometime tomorrow. We can always fix up a meet.

Rajan
  10. I used to stay near hirandahalli before..I can come near hoskote,anyways the toll is not open yet so no prob::T
    What about your lab and gsd?you keeping them in boarding?