1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Android Apps for FIAT Cars

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Viny, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Harish,
    I have tested on Emotion Pack.
    Basic features like Trip details, Service details, Fuel details etc should work for dynamic version too.
    Only steering control related features might not work for dynamic version.
  2. harish kotur

harish kotur Novizio

Namma Bangalore
    bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Viny.
    I will try the basic features today.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If Connect2 is available, steering controls need not use CANBUS right..? Anyways, steering mount controls is a pain to fit in a dynamic variant.
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

Basically, by hacking canbus you can make a given button perform more than one action :D
    1. Default action it would perform as per car configuration
    2. Firing second action by catching the given canbus command.

Hypothetically,
    1. situation activating pass light (short time high level beam) should also blink the hazard lights. Currently its not possible in default setup, but can be done by can bus hack :D
    2. Or start recording video on you android tab when the "windows key" is pressed on steering mounted control etc.

There are tones of things possible :)
    Its just opening up the Pandora box

This takes me back to ideas of enabling cruise control in car without having cruise control sticks :)
    Probably will take help of the crusie control master to log his Canbus data and then use it.

Once again, if anyone among us is Android app developer his help can be of very helpful.
    I remember someone among us was making google camera app. Have to search out
    Prashant Teki, Ravi and PaddleShifter like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Viny, I am aware of what CANBUS is capable of. I do know how it works. It's similar to a WAN or LAN except with a set of protocols defined by standards of one or more Automotive umbrella groups. The message relays or codes can be captured. FYI, there is a seminar on hacking CANBUS held at Singapore, where one can even opt for additional courses to get hands on training for various hacking and reverse engineering techniques including CANBUS (for which a special course is there.)

The areas of interest for me have been Steering Mounted Controls, All Windows Roll up and down at flick of a button, Cruise Control etc. It's just that I am not sure I could pursue it to the end due to other work limitations. However, I am very much interested to see these things work if people are motivated for the same. Patchyboy could have been of further help in this regards, his post of cruise control on other forum is much more easier to read and understand, and I believe he suggests it works for MJD also. Except the interface as you suggest for mapping to different buttons, I am not sure how safe or what reasons are there for the company to develop a ready stock/stick for this very purpose. You might want to study that first. :)

Cheers..!
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Viny, LIN or Local Interconnect Network must be understood. In most cases it could mean no software development if mere swapping or assigning of switches or making switches connect or send/receive messages via CAN is needed. Ofcourse tools will be needed. Tools for capturing CAN codes are there, some nodes or modules could be secured or locked from user tampering for vehicle safety and security.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

Asimpleson: I am not sure if I got you correctly. But I will try to explain based on my understandings

1. Company gave cruise control sticks and other buttons because usage of soft touch control switches where not available in 2009 and still missing. Otherwise most of the HU would have been just a tab with various options to touch and go. Secondly I feel that having real switches and buttons make it easy for driver to control as he doesnt have to look on the screen to click the precise button. Human motor learnings are very good to do many actions accurately without direct attentions.

2. All the data that travel in digital networks can be captured with right tools. In case of CAN BUS all the data is floating from Destiantion A to destination B in form of commands. You can capture this set of data and execute. I have been doing this from sometime, you can read about how to do this from my posts in Patchyboys thread on "Curise Control"

3. The software in discussion currently sends the same set of commands to canbus as done by any actions. And for this software even has mechanism to log all the canbus data, so that developer can find what commands are going in canbus.

Even I am interested in making app to perform various actions that we do via hardware buttons.
    Problem arises out of security concerns, given that all chinese Bluetooth ELM327 have common bluetooth connection password. If you have ELM connected to your car. Someone else might connect to it and take control of actions on your car using same software.

Trying to figure out how it could be made secure, but until then these cheap ELM327 opens up security risk. Might not be that much in our local community in India, but then its a risk overall.
    1 person likes this.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    I did install lancia can and tried connecting for a bit in the morning but had to run to office. it connected but I didn't see any data. then it was saying Bluetooth not enabled in the connect to car tab although BT was enabled.

I don't remember seeing any logging options. where is that?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

vj_v1: You would need ELM327 OBD Scanner to connect via Bluetooth, I hope you had it. The app pairs your device with OBD Scanner and then you see all the data.
    Its not pairing of Android Tab with Blue & Me via bluetooth.

Once connected you would see KMs: XXXX on top left conner.
    Double Clicking on same will take you to CANBUS DATA Monitor Section. Click "SAVE" to save the canbus logged data. It saves log file on you sdcard.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    :D Haha!!! Glad you told me. ::T

I did manage to get beyond that basic level of car science a couple of years ago ;). I was not expecting CAN data out of the B&M obviously and did pair with the OBD BT Adapter.

So, it was not showing any readings when the car was idling, not sure if it was supposed to. I didn't try double clicking the KM on the top left, will retry tomorrow morning and get back.

VJ