1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

An unforgettable night

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by ThePunter, Jun 8, 2010.

1. This is about an unforgettable night we (me + 3 in family) had while travelling along the road Chennai -Villupuram- Ulundurpet -Salem-Palakkad. As few folks here may know, the stretch before Salem is too bad most of the times and we got into a pot hole - a biggie - which made my car jump a bit and land back.

We were going at above 50 kmph speed and somehow I did reduce the speed seeing the black hole, :shock: but couldnt avoid an impact, where by my car's bottom scraped the side of the pothole. It took me 2-3 seconds to realize the engine has indeed stopped, and I was unable to start it. Few minutes IN and I was on call with the toll free support. They told me to check the fuel block button - if it got activated due to the impact. Also to check if there is any fuel leakage. Couldnt help ourselves in any of those ways. So, in an hour or so, mechanic is on the way.

It was a lonely stretch time was 7pm+ and it took a mechanic to come from near Salem, but any ways, even though the mechanic came, (he was from MyTvs) he had no equipments to diagnose what is going on with this high tech machine, and so a tow was advised. We were towed to Salem which was 40-50 kms away, and by the time it was kind of 11 pm ! That experience was bad with the car jerking every time the tow rope gets tight from the loose state. (It was not a rigid connection with the tow truck)
    Night, and hence we were told we will hav to wait overnight till the service center (tata -fiat )opens and we were told to stay at hotel.

Next morning @10 after the shop (True Sai) opened, they were all set with teh Bosch diagnostics and machinery. The people were courteous and in no time was finding that lambda sensor (I dont have much idea about what it is for) had got detached due to the impact. I was impressed :up with the way and speed of diagnostics. It was just a push of a hand job, and car was back into action. And we continued our trip at 1 PM after a test drive.

I had to bear the hotel stay expense (as the Road side assistance terms say so) but all else was taken care by Fiat.

The experience was horrible as it was least expected that too at night with 2 little kids to take care of.
    The response time for the help was poor but so was the location I should say, in that stretch.
    We felt very safe as the car was stable and we didnt felt impact whatsoever.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes you had bad time but i don't think any other manufacturer would have given you any better service.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I just got this from google
    more on it here: http://www.picoauto.com/applications/lambda-sensor.html

Agree to that. I don't think you would have been better served by any other manufacturer in India.
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    For Roadside Assistance, isn't the mechanic supposed to come with a toolkit (may be even basic) in RSA van/car? (Am not saying that this could have been sorted out at roadside on-the-spot during night only). Only query is whether he came "swinging arms" or with some toolkit?
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Fiat RSA is a boon, which can be banked upon in case of emergencies. At least, I will get some assistance on a deserted road at ghostly hours. I will take Fiat RSA as my Fiat Linea is not covered under Fiat RSA at present.
  6. I mentioned that the mechanic didn't had 'high tech' instruments, like the BOSCH or similar one they had at the Service centre, which when connected to the car's computer eradily pointed to the exact location of the problem. (Really..! just 2 messages showed up - 1 was "check lambda sensor", it was checked and problem solved.!!)
    He did had the ordinary tool kit, jump start cable etc though - And was a "very good person" accompanying us all the way till we were left at the hotel, and refused to take any thing "at all" when I handed over him an amount as a jesture .
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Good that I "purchased" RSA :)