1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

An S10 comes home..Badge #73

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    the longish drive update: Sunday saw my wife and I going nuts with house work. By the afternoon, we decided to run away from home as we had not had a solitude break in a long time. We decided to ditch the Avvy and see how the S10 does on the open roads. My word! This car is so capable of playing Jekyll and Hyde. My wife threw me the key and said "Just drive". She buckled her seat belt and just wanted to watch. And I had so much fun overtaking anything and everything. The naturally aspirated engine meant there would be no turbo lag. Everytime I had to pass another vehicle, I just had to shift down to 4th. I know for a fact that in any other petrol car, I would have to shift down to 3rd or maybe even 2nd. But nope, not in the 1.6. It pummels ahead with so much power in every gear. For most cases 4th was enough. There was one, ahem, driver in an Indica who I dared not overtake a second time. He drove like a maniac with black smoke coming out of the exhaust. And it was one man and 4 burkha-clad women in the car. The sight of that emptied my brain temporarily and I slowed down to leave some distance between us.

The route we chose was from Hyderabad to Ananthagiri Hills. It is a lovely stretch of excellent, good, bad and ugly stretches. But most of all, it is a route which zigzags like the edge of a serrated knife. And on these turns, the S10 was God. I never exceeded 110 kmph because all the fun was in overtaking and cornering. My wife kept telling me to stop exclaiming so loudly in joy as I had fun. Fun like I never had before.

Other things that I noticed is that this gearbox is a slick shifter. Although I have no complaints about the Avventura's gearbox, this one feels faster. More precise. I was shifting between 3rd, 4th and 5th very quickly. The other thing is the near instant acceleration everytime I pressed the throttle. I never floored the throttle even once as there was no need to achieve hedonic pleasures. And cornering. I will keep coming back to this point for as long as I have this car. Overtaking every other car at the corners is what the fun is all about. No need to brake most of the times. But the suspensions are definitely old. Although they performed perfectly, there was too much feedback from the road.

We went to a lonely stop on a little hill and sat there enjoying the sunset. No other humans around. Just us and the S10. Driving home was after sunset and the stock headlamps were not upto the mark like the new age ones. But I still ended up overtaking most cars on the road. Some photos of solitude below. All taken with the phone as I was in no mood to fiddle with the DSLR even though I had it on me.

IMG_20150906_164253.jpg We got out of a kilometer of slush by crawling slowly.

and came out suddenly in front of a church. Oddly, very few people around.
    IMG_20150906_164310.jpg

And now, pure silence. Beautiful plains.
    IMG_20150906_170505.jpg

A parting shot, yellow sunset on a yellow car
    IMG_20150906_165050.jpg
    punto_emotion, C_S, pdash and 4 others like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Ah yellow. Mellow Yellow that belies the sportiness. Young and joyful. Glad for your automotive fun and frolic!

cheers
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.