1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

An S10 comes home..Badge #73

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Vidhyashankar Kannan, Jul 9, 2015.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I got 16.24kmpl from my s10 on Pune Solapur road, driven with very very patience.

Tank full to tank full method.
  2. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Gentlemen,

While I do not wish to prove myself an ignoramus, I will still bite the bullet to ask a very basic question.

Today, I noticed that although the ride is superb and the suspensions seem to be perfect, the rear kept bottoming out with just 2 people in the back. In the sense, when I rode over a small speed breaker, the rear shocks got fully depressed with the thud. This normally happens in fully loaded Marutis where the shocks are weak. But I did not expect this in an S10. So after parking the car, I tried the classic example of pushing down on each of the shocks to see if they keep bobbing up and down which is a sign of failure. But they did not.

The shocks are firm and after hard pushes, they quickly firmed up. Having another doubt, I took a photo of the rear shock and got this photo. Shouldn't there be a coil spring around the strut!?!? Or is this some old fancy shock absorber of which I have no knowledge? Please help

IMG_20150712_213525.jpg
  3. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Does you car bottoms (rear of belly of the car touches down) or does you shocks lock-out (no more room to go further) but car doesn't hit the ground.

I don't know if the S10s are a bit different on the shocks but my Palio never bottoms out (belly touching) with full load over a speed bump if I'm slow enough at speed tough it can scrape the bottom. But the front shocks lock-out sometime if I go over at speed.
  4. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you @kk27 for that reply. My car never bottoms out (no belly touching). It is the second case that you mentioned "your shocks lock-out (no more room to go further) but car doesn't hit the ground."

So if you also face a lock-out, I guess that's normal? Any Fiat I have driven has excellent shocks where I have never faced either the bottom-out or the lock-out. So if this is how this particular model is, then I don't need to worry. Odd though.
  5. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    An update: Having quickly finished nearly 250 kms in this car, all I can say is that this is the best car we've ever driven. The level of driver to car engagement is phenomenal. The steering, handling and performance work so beautifully together that I am left wondering why the GTX flopped.

Overtaking in traffic has become a breeze as there is power ready at any time. And having lived on the sloping inclines of Hyderabad for over 15 years by now, this is the only car that does not gasp and wheeze when moving up inclines. No turbo lag, no sputtering, just raw power to pull up any slope, even fully loaded. This car is a serious corner carver. I have never had so much fun driving before.

I only wish the brakes were slightly better. The Punto/Linea have superb brakes but a bit lacking in the S10. Still, it is miles above the Zen we owned earlier.

Everything comes together so well in this car. Brilliant package.
  6. AVS10

AVS10 Timido

Delhi NCR
    Delhi NCR
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Congrats Mr. & Mrs. Kannan.
    I have owned the S10 for about 6 months now and has a similar mileage on the odo. I have been driving it only recently and must have done about 500 kms now.
    The ride is something I have a question about. It is a bit bouncy over uneven roads compared to the my Baleno. Is it cause of the state if the tyres which have a life if about 5000 kms left as per Fiat. Also got the suspension checked and it was given a thumbsup.

Regards
  7. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you @AVS10 . Great to know that you are also enjoying your S10. And the ride that you are talking about is exactly the same thing I am facing though it does not seem to affect the handling one bit. It still corners beautfully. When I try pushing down the bonnet over the wheel, it does not bounce continuously which means the struts are fine. Yet it feels bouncy over bumps and potholes but recovers quickly. The FASS here said the shocks were fine. So I guess its just the character of the car. And my tyres are new. So its not the tyres either.
  8. AVS10

AVS10 Timido

Delhi NCR
    Delhi NCR
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    hmm.Guess the experienced members can advise here.
    Cornering - this is one hell of a car. Only knows to hold it line to the steering inputs. No drama whatsoever. Its a road worthy go karting machine.
  9. Kiran_Borra

Kiran_Borra Novizio

Hyderabad
    It was a treat to read the excellent write up Mr. Shankar.
    Subscribed to this thread for updates :)
    Vidhyashankar Kannan likes this.
  10. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    An update: After driving within the city for many days, we checked the mileage and found it to return a figure of 6 kmpl. We were not too worried as our city drives are in intense traffic, constant use of clutch and constant acceleration/braking. We then decided to see what the car is really capable of. Took a drive to Decathlon opposite to the airport. Maintained a speed of 80-100 kmph and overtook every other car except an Audi A4. What suprised me was this car's ability to handle and corner. There was a Verna, an Ecosport and a Xylo racing along with us. The Verna was able to keep pace as long as the roads were straight. The Ecosport and Xylo were managing well and I was unable to overtake them for a while, mostly due to my own fear or pushing this car.

Finally, I summed up enough courage to push through and see what a GTX is all about. And what a corner carver it is! I flung it around at 90 kmph and it went around with a yawn. The Verna stood no chance and I was far ahead as the car slingshot out of the curve. The Ecosport managed very well and at the next turn, I stayed off the brakes and went around at 100 kmph. The S10 didn't even flinch. The Ecosport was out of the race. Only the Audi A4 handled beautifully but then I do not consider a 40 lakh car to be competition to a 1.5 lakh car. I truly understood why the S10 was deemed to be the ultimate performance machine of its time and even now at its price. It corners like a blackbuck which is why there is no competition to it.

The clincher came next. On the return trip, I filled up to check the mileage. It returned a wonderful figure of 12 kmpl after being thrown around at a 100 with plenty of overtaking. I think this car does not do too well in city drives. The 1.6 litre engine is hungry to be pushed. Our respect for this car has grown leaps and bounds.