1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

An itch..is it the 75 hp or the 90 hp which will live through the years???

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Fiatophile, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Hello all,long time and i dont know if i am kicking up a storm in here..but its always been an itch in my back side and i thought ill send it down to all of you here.Now me being an old school guy believes in Low tech = rugged = Longitivity.So for me longetivity (read 300,000 kms and above only) and durability in diesels mean in hierarchy 1)The DI's 2)The IDI's and 3)The CRD's and Pump duse and what not.What compliments my itch more is that with the kind of $#!TTy fuel,road and climate conditions that we have is why i still lean towards the old tech.

Now coming to the Fiat MJD's.I feel the 75hp will outlast the 90hp in terms of long term mileage and maintenance.Reasons
    1) A smaller and simpler turbo (less stressed engine)
    2) Better gear ratio's which means you dont have to near the redline out from the start (less stressed engine and driveable in the city)
    3) Of all i feel 90bhp is like sqeezing blood off the udders from a 1.3 diesel.

Now let the ball roll.
    1 person likes this.
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    @Fiatophile,

Your first post here and you are creating a fight among fiatians :p

In my opinion there won't be much difference between 75 and 90 hp in longevity. It all depends on the driver, riding conditions, maintenance etc.

If older tech had to live longer then do you think expensive diesels in Beemers and Audis are short lived compared to DI s?
    1 person likes this.
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It's all about the driver and the road and climatic conditions. Take the following things:

1) Good Driver, very bad conditions - Engine lives long because driver knows how much stress should be given on engine.

2) Good Driver, good conditions - Engine lives long.

3) Bad driver, good conditions - Engine fails because he always stresses the engine; frequent gear shifts, frequent braking, very high revs, rash driving all makes the engine to wear out early.

4) Bad driver, bad conditions - Engine fails as both are bad.

More than that the maintenance of the car also makes difference. With a fault if a driver gives the car to go, whatever the good driving and road and climate conditions, the engine fails.

As well there is no difference in life of the 75HP and 90 HP. The 75HP uses a FGT and 90HP uses the VGT. These turbo kits know how much air mixture should happen when the turbo opens. So the life of the engines will be almost the same.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Logevity is subjective to the drivers . I've seen clutch and turbos pack up for as low as 8000kms .
    I've also seen Fiats running on OEM parts for as long as 75000kms.

Its all in the way a person takes care of his rides.
    Mechanical degradation can be prolonged if the drivers is good and can be cut short if he is bad that's about it.
  5. Punto Maniac

Punto Maniac Amatore

TN07
    Race cars would be a good comparo. These guys squeeze the maximum of the engines, which in turn requires them to change engines for every race or two in a season. If we're squeezing more from an engine, its eventually bound to break.
  6. Drivers and longivity...I will give it to you guys..maybe 20%.Punto maniac has a very valid point which i will buy and is more convincing but racing = catastrophic stress hence maybe an engine/race.Now for the reasons why i dont believe it is the drivers or the driving style that affects an engines longivity.

1)The first things to go phut because of a bad driver are the driveline and transmission i.e .the clutch,drive shafts etc.
    2)Talking about multiple drivers and abuse our good ole Indica cabs average atleast 2-3 drivers in a years time and most of the IDI's have lasted 2 lakh plus and still running.
    3)Way back in the 90's we had an influx of import diesels like the Toyota's and Isuzu's which finished a life time(Read 2,00,000 kms easy) in the Asian markets as taxis and then they just needed a top end job and ran another 2-3 lakh kms in our Ambys and Jeeps.Mind you ..all these are IDI's and DI's.(How do i know?I used to work partime in a garage which retrofits Ambys with these imports)
    4)Durability is highly called for in the heavy hauling business and i see mostly DI's ruling the roost.(but you can say they are trucks and not cars,which we are currently talking about).
    5)I hear timing chain (everyones moved to belts) changes at 75,000 kms or 2 years on the MJD.A TC is supposed to be one of the strongest flex components in an engine.Heck even the Maruti Esteems timing belt (not chain) is advised to be changed at 75kms if i recall rightly.Never hear of a belt change in a Diesel Lancer 2.0 engine (IDI) unless you break something in the valve train or timing gear.Same goes for a Peugeot XD3P (IDI)this is 80s tech and runs a chain:evilsmilebut never heard of a change unless you break it!

So what do you guys think?
  7. Thanks Fiatophile for an intersting new topic. The reason to buy Linea was I wanted my first car to live with me for very long. Something which could become classic. So ofcourse I was looking for some car that could do 3 lakh kms with cautious driving. May it be a gutt fealing or the appraisals I had seen on the internet of the engine made me go for FIAT. The idea was to even if later in the life I have bigger fancier cars my old car should remain adorabale and dosn't feel exhausted or rattels within first 5 yrs.
    1 person likes this.