1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Amplifier power cut off - in GP E+

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Rizzou, Jun 1, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    even though it is a practical solution to wire from ignition line, but not advisable .
    acc carries much higher current which in case of short circuit or malfunction can result into fuse being blown away or damaging ignition circuit.
    in my punto the service centre guys wired the rem switch from ignition line i.e one of the contacts of in fuse box under steering. but i felt it was awkward so changed it to proper rem switching line from back of oem head unit
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Care to explain in detail, it bounced over my head :(
    The ACC Dashboard unit and HU receives power from same line, they have a common fuse rated 10Amp, if that blows power to amp and acc dashboard unit goes down.
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    excuse me viny.

ignition line carries much higher current which in case of short circuit or malfunction can result into fuse being blown away or damaging ignition circuit.

additionally the sourcing power from ignition line for switch off action is better avoided rather use a current limiter like a 1000 ohm resistor or <100mA fuse at the base of wire to avoid any short circuits.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

Sorry, I am still unable to make much out of it :(
    Kindly help

Isnt the power supply in entire car is 12V, what do you mean by higher current ?
    Which fuse would it blow off, could you share fuse no and its rating?

If I am going to use a <100mA fuse to power HU and ACC , it would blow off fuse instantly, currently HU and ACC are peaked rated at fuse of 10A
    And I have not seen automotive use of that rating, generally we see 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 20, 40A fuses, never seen a mA fuse :(

Finally why would one need to source power from ignition line, when power is already available at back of HU?

Probably I am unable to get your point, kindly excuse my noobness and share further gyan.
    Thanks, much appreciated
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    battery is 12 volts 50ah or more . 50ampere hour is current rating. power amp may need 20 amperes,headlamps may need 10 amperes ,rooflamp may need 1 amp etc. but remote switch on an amp may not need that much current but few milliamps.

as asked by the thread starter, his amp remains "on" all the time if not turned off manually . so he asks a solution to turn it off automatically when key is turned off (or am i getting it wrong?).

the best way to do so is to use the remote power switch option in modern amps. which is an additional connector at the back of an amp. (see figure)

normally ice guys would connect this rem switch to ignition or wherever power is shut off when key is turned off.
    the rem switch needs only few milliamps(mA) to function. so one need not carry full power live wire through out the car to reach amplifier. add a small resistor or fuse .small milliamp fuse with scokets or resistors are available in any electronic spare part shop.
    these kind of tweaks are bit geeky and more diy as the ice guys wouldnt like to take pain for such additional measures but they proves very healthy for you and your ride . but a good and truly proffesional ice installer would consider such matter and inform the owner as how he will be improvising .

ps:-we are talking about above said "rem"(in figure) when +12v and gnd is is already connected to battery terminals or wherever full power is available which is unavoidable.

remote switching.JPG
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. rizzou,, i have the p\same problem in my car too...everytime u have to switch it off and at times ,i forget to switch it off....and wen someone else is driving they never switch it off,,,as they r not used to it
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

Thanks for detailed reply.
    I appreciate.

But a battery with 12V at 50Amp doesnt push that power, its rather the device which pulls the power and if the device is pulling excessive power then required, the fuse placed in between blows off. I still dont get how a mili amp fuse will ensure only miliamp power is passed to remote power on terminal. Rather it would only help if the amp remote on switch is trying to seek more power unnecessarily, this will cut off the amp.
    Basically the remote power on terminal waits to check if there is any power supply available over remote wire, if its available it starts the amp. You can connect easily the normal 12V wire from battery with constant power line to this and nothing would go wrong. Its just that amp will stay ON.

Ideal method for installation is

1. Get the 12V power on ignition link from ISO Mini A Pin from the HU, this is generally the "RED" color coded cable. "Yellow" color coded cable is constant 12v Supply.
    2. Connect this 12V power on ignition link to the remote power link in Amplifier
    3. Pull a direct power connection from battery to Amplifer with a fuse in place in between based on your Amplifier RMS. For example a 500W RMS amplifier would need 40A fuse in place.
    4. Pull a second earthed cable to connect to Amp

I hope this helps :)
  9. Rizzou

Rizzou

Hyderabad
    Great.. sounds good.. i am little afraid as i am not getting it all.. my Dumb head not able to get educated with. I used to have statis problem initially but good earthing fixed it. I am using a 4-Channel Silicon 1000W & 2-Channed JBL guess is 450W. and both are hooked up with a small switch near the boot lift lever.

I was wondering all is the HU issue its pretty basic we get with the E+, do we have inputs for connectors that Sync the steering controld & after market HU..?
  10. Makarand

Makarand Timido

Pune
    Hi Jayadev

Thanks for the detail information!

Two week back I installed 2 channel amp in my Punto, after one week of installation my car's battery was drained so again I want to the ice guy and he told me that REM wire need to be connect so he puled down one blue wire for the head unit and connected to the amp as you shown in the attachment...

So I wanted to know by connecting blue wire to the amp will not drain the battery? from last couple to days I am observing the amp but I can see the green light is always on and very small sound can be lessen near to the connected speakers.. Is it expected behavior or anything that is missing in the installation?

Above you had mentioned about some add a small resistor or fuse .small milliamp fuse. so I need to install that of it is ok by connection blue wire?

-Makarand