1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Am I getting a right/reasonable deal from my dealer?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Aamir, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Srinagar
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I'm from Srinagar-Kashmir and I'll be booking a Punto Evo 90hp very soon. The FIAT dealer in Jammu(National FIAT) is offering me free zero depreciation insurance from Future Generali, 10k exchange discount for my old flood affected car which was declared as total loss by the insurance company and 5k corporate discount which adds up to around 40k and the ex-showroom price in Jammu for 90hp Evo is about 7,70000.
    However the dealer called me today and asked me to decide in one or two days as next month the schemes from FIAT might be different and I might get less benefits.
    Hence I am posting this thread for an expert opinion from all the members over here who already have experience in dealing with these dealers.
    Should I wait for next month or go with these present discounts? And also needed to know if the discounts offered are reasonable as the dealer in Pune was offering me discounts worth 68k which included free insurance worth 28k + cash discount of 20k + 20k exchange on producing my old vehicle documents.
    Apart from that as there's no service centre in Srinagar, minor services are still handled by a TATA workshop over here, however, the dealer assured me that in case of any major issues RSA will transport my car to Jammu from Srinagar within a week, should I trust the dealer on that? RSA claims free transportation of car to the nearest SC and hence I guess that should cover it well. Jammu is 300 kms far from Srinagar and it's a time consuming hilly road. :banghead: Should I go ahead and book the car or wait till they set up a service centre in Srinagar that might take 2 to 3 months?
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aamir

Hi, man.

Cannot comment on the deal you are being offered, other than to suggest it is a good one. Could an even better one be possible? Who knows?

Hope you're in touch with a few other Srinagar Fiat owners. What's their take? The Tata guys will manage your, in any case reliable, mjd engine, i suppose? And as a Srinagar resident you perhaps will not be keen to go run to FASS for every small rattle or this or that minor thing, like we do in the metro cities! So it's really a case of accident/breakdown repair being your main concern. In which serious case RSA-ing your car to Jammu should not be a problem, no, for quality and warranty reasons? Pending the opening of the Srinagar FASS.

Do ping Fiat/FCA India to see if they can confirm the opening (even if not the exact date) of a FASS is Srinagar?

cheers, all the best
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Aamir please also PM @S A SHAH who could guide you better since he is in same/similar region. Better open a conversation (via Conversations feature) with him and ask about the service related things too.

I would find a scrap dealer and ask him the value of my total loss vehicle (for exchange offers) and compare that to the dealer's offer. Also ask dealer if he can match the scrap dealers value if incase its substantially more.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Srinagar
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks @prabhjot. Should I expect a lot of niggles from the car? One reason of choosing it is for its reliability and solid built. The dealer will be opening service centre by the end of august and they assured me that the Tata workshop with whom they have a tie-up in Srinagar will be able to handle all minor issues till then without any voidness of warranty. Moreover by august I don't think the car will run more than 2 or 3000kms.

Thanks @asimpleson, will be messaging him now, hope he will be able to help. I tagged him in a post many days ago but didn't get any response. And regarding the exchange benefits, my car is already sold to the scrap dealer and I also got a percentage of its IDV from the insurance company, combining both I almost got all of the IDV for it and the dealer said he will give me 10k discount on producing the car documents only. I'm not really sure how it works.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    He may not be too frequent visitor... so maybe..

It would be always good if you find some mechs. on standby arrangement who can cater to any niggles, in worst cases. Better to look for people having some experience with Fiats Palios and such. These cars need examiner in certain scenarios so either you must have a mech or SC which is aware of common faults or could track the issue based on a hunch or trial and errors.

Meanwhile as suggested keep pinging them at Fiat to open up dealership and FASC in Shrinagar.

EDIT: also you can invest in an OBD2 dongle or cable to connect to a laptop and diagnose issue for yourself. You will find help for the same. Worry not therefore.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Srinagar
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @asimpleson Is it a reliable car or will I be facing issues regularly that might need special checkup from a FASS? FASS is opening here by the end of August and my car won't run more than 3 or 4k kms till then.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Aamir these are very reliable and believe it or not really these engines sing and perform well in cold climatic regions. The car has nothing out of the ordinary issues that other manufacturers wouldn't have. Just if you are the worrying type it will not help. Go for the 90hp or even better the Avventura if possible.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Srinagar
    Fiat Enthusiast
    It definitely is most well built and beautiful, only issue is the unavailability of FASS over here, had that not been the case, I wouldn't have given it a second thought :p I really don't like Marutis and Hyundais, not to offend anyone, I just feel they are just for travelling from one place to another, they lack that feel which we get in Fiat, plus they don't stand anywhere close when it comes to looks. And regarding Honda which I owned previously(Amaze Diesel), the built quality was pathetic, very thin metal sheets, no side or front impact beams, it handled well though and even the acceleration was very good but it just didn't feel solid and I felt the same in new Honda City too, plus it seemed like it had no power in the initial gears, I might be wrong though, just drove it once for few kms. I was also thinking of Polo 1.5 TDI but it's really cramped in the back plus a big floor hump. Moreover Punto ground clearance is the best, it'll suit the bad roads of Kashmir very well :D And yes, I'll be going for 90hp. Thinking of magnesio grey or white, any suggestions?
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Magensio grey is my personal favorite but you want something that is more visible in dark esp. if you take such routes that are poorly lit. That is one practical reason where people prefer white for the slight visibility edge it gives during night driving.

All cars these days including Fiats are designed to be reliable. Its just that you must have the support needed in the odd circumstances you need one from the company. Cars that mechanics don't understand, are often blamed to be unreliable and bad giving the brand a dubious reputation. They botch-up something in pursuit of fixing something and that leads to another problem which they go on to blame on to the car. Like Nach na jaane aangan teda... :(
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Srinagar
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I won't be doing lot of night driving, my previous car was black, will be definitely choosing between magnesio grey and white, more inclined towards grey, it looks gorgeous. Any idea how magnesio grey Punto will look if later after couple of years I get the roof done in glossy black and also get the alloys painted black?
    And I completely agree with the second part, FIATs need to be handled by expert mechanics, it's not typical Korean stuff :p
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015