1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Always a Good Company - My 2009 Electric Blue Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by ThePunter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Its been 3 years....!!!! My ownership review has no better time than this, so i think..and so i go...
    thanks in advance for reading... friends

Apr 2009 - I came back from a 2 year hiatus in USA.
    Couple of months down..... actively Looking for a car
    eyes on a sedan, but alas,..my house front yard has just space for a 4 m car- complying to indian exercise duty exemption standards. LOL..
    June time- raining in Kerala, it is melting in Chennai - My eyes hooked on Jazz launch
    jazz price published; me- no where in sight :) uff what a car. hmmm what a price too !
    well there it is, I hear of Punto- yeah I had never heard of Punto before, courtesy of course I will put first blame on fiat for no aggressive media push,..and partly of my absence in India for the immediate past...
    so it is www all the way after I got a glimpse of the beauty's pics,
    interest go higher...
    and higher, and higher, but it was only online... till in august when I first test drove her at concorde velachery.
    bliss.. (it was diesel ) and again bliss.. it was 1.4 EP. seeing the differnce in price and since I was already on tight budget, convinced myself that petrol will be sufficient and that justifies my running too, which will not involve daily office commute in the car. what else to say! I was blown away with the ride, all I could see was carpets unrolling instead of the passed by road and ahead also..
    liked the interiors too, and emotion pack it will be - I said to myself. hence there was no question of diesel
    even more..days pass, weeks pass. was not in a hurry since it was my job changing times
    mean while ritz and swift also were driven and came to realize more about the running cost difference and mind was leaning more towards diesel, but with no budget flexibility. liked the ritz much, but not the swift. and during a test drive hard braking in ritz didn't convince me..and that kept niggling in my mind. so too the rear bench and rear door armrest felt awfuly inadequate. what did remain in the mind was the front air space you get immediately in front of your head and body. it was very spacious.
    one more round of test drive with punto is done during the days ahead, including a visit to home to see how it fits in.. it did win by a very narrow margin. also quotes got from vst tafe etc wer got. few used cars were seen too, mostly swift. but none a fit.

- - - Merged Post - - -

come 21Nov, and i was on the way to concorde to book, and ufff...here i go, myself got diverted to abt maruti guindy and in minutes i am finalizing the deal and giving a booking amount of 10k! back to home and thinking whether i followed my heart or not.. no no no.. it was not.
    had numerous discussions with my family, who were then back in kerala, and now they are also added to the confused list. i will be reaching there on 26th mid night+ and thus it was going to be a surprise for them whether it is going to be punto or ritz..such was the case.
    heart wins.
    23rd monday and i am marching to concorde, getting loan fixed (sundaram fin) it wil be 50:50 for the OTR of 5.3. as it is already late and i got only 2 days- i need delivery before 25th. 1.4 EP it is and due to the dates, my choice goes to electric blue, though medium grey and red were also in contention. SA was very friendly and he promised me delivery next day, and RTO things done by the 2nd next. i go about and intimate the cancellation. didn't wait to see any drama, just gave the letter and back.
    counting days...! oh no, there are no days to count.. it is just the next day.

the d day. non eventful. 25th Nov. i kept calling SA whether it is getting ready. i get convincing answers and by 1130 i am at showroom. saw the car .checked inside out, a quick one..and the driver was taking it to rto. i go to ofice. evening got the call late that car is geting ready. so reached by 645 only. and the sun film sticking is in progress..did the pooja- lemons got squeezed below the tires, SA, manager every one hand shake-d and security gets a token tip too . out goes we 2 me and ma punto, gets the complementary 10L petrol and i fly home...hmm..drive home..peaceful sleep at night, for the next days long drive.
    26th mornning left to office early. was told to come to concorde in afternoon, just before my departure to kerala planed at 2pm to fit the number plate. all goes planned. i was happy, and tried to make SA also more happy, offered cash as gesture, which he politely refused to take after repeat request.
    1pm I am leaving concorde with cool wind in my hair and ribbons flying :) later i cut it to avoid distraction in highway.
    what a ride it was.i never crossed 100 though. planted, confident and me smiling. the last leg of the journey was from Palakkad to Kozhikkode highway and it just as though i was part of wrc special stage.. winding smooth roads and me single inside, the vehicle is so planted that i flick it here, and the car is here. i flick it there, the car is there..an experience never to be forgotten when i think of my punto.
    i reach home just after midnight...and it is all surprise surprise (i had informed about the car, but not the color) in all faces.
    it was my sons 2nd birthday on 27th and the celebs were just on.

thats the saga of my punto...and stories are there more to come..
    I hope i can keep posting with out making people get bored of it..
    had been holding of till now.. now, i let it loose.
    gShrey, amargawade90, teky and 7 others like this.
  2. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Hi Punter, great start to your ownership thread.
    Eagerly waiting for more on your ride and ofcourse please post some pictures of your ride.
    1 person likes this.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Not at all, nicely written! :)

Similar was my experience too. But my trip home was two weeks after owning. That was in Aug 2009, just two months after launch in India. Whereever I went, my Punto got stares, most thinking, "what car is this?". When we stopped to take a turn, one guy even came in front of the car to see what name is written on the grill. He had never seen such a car till that moment. Punto then was a very rare specimen on Indian roads. We would see hadly one Punto a day.
    Sorry to highjack your thread :) Emotion flowed in!
    1 person likes this.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great start up my friend! Congrats for your beast. Please treat our eyes with few pics :clap

Happy and safe motoring :steering
    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010

Electric blue!!!!
    Where is the photo of that rare beauty.
    Very nicely written.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Lovely narration Punter! Just enjoyed reading this part so much!
    A Big Congrats on your ride! The 1.4E i guess is the most fun to drive Punto.
    Wish you millions of happy miles with her! Do keep us posted with lots of pictures and driving experience :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. Loved the narration :) Please post some pictures.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Great Write up....
    Dont make us wait for a year now to have a look at your Italian Grande....
    1 person likes this.
  9. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Congrats on the electric blue Punto (though late by 3 years). Electric Blue is very rare, do post the pictures of the car to spice up this thread.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Hey Raj, sure- I am posting few pics across the past of the blue beauty! and more as I dig them out.., or I will make her pose for more ;)

Thanks FL!!
    Hi’Jack!! Not at all, buddy !.. all those emotions flowing in will only help light up the thread and forum further.. yes, na?

Thanks much for the encouragement. Yes I am posting a few now.

Yeah it is surely rare. For ex: I think this was the only EBlue that turned up during Yelagiri Meet.! So much so, to be distinct.
    Thanks for your words.

Yeah true- that really reflect my thoughts and feelings..
    Infact there are few such sentences that come across, here or “there” -which echo when I think about forum posts on PUnto. One goes like..(Excuse me, it is just as I remember it ) - ”At 120 when other cars starts getting shaky , the Punto is just getting into the groove”… loved those lines! gives me goose bumps...;)

Thanks! Would continue to follow the flow!

No Tony-kkuttaa… (always comes to my mind when I hear the name 'Tony' ; as it is heard in the hit Mohanlal + Mammotty Malayalam movie- it is like addressing you ‘Dear Tony Boy’ J )
    I will check to make regular updates, as no day passes as a regular day with a Punto, it is always special.

Thanks Krishna, better late than never. Good to have a running personal thread, I too feel. Spices coming in ..!

Guys thanks for the cheers to the post… Those should surely get me going further from here :)
    2 people like this.