1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alto or Uno (Novo)..?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by asimpleson, Dec 23, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If Alto comes with a diesel, and the same single nostril like UNO, will it end the market for a possible Novo Uno in India..? Although no marks to say which one looks better. :)

uno vs alto.jpg
    GirishRaghu, ghodlur and prabhjot like this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Ha!:p Good one.

But jokes apart: am pretty sure and in any case actually hopeful that Fiat does NOT try to enter the b1, let alone the a-segment. They have the Tata JV and amt supplies to Maruti for that!

A better idea: how about full localized production of the upcoming all-new Fiat 500? It will be much bigger than the current one, after all...priced somewhat premium to where the Evo 90 hp is priced today, or even where the not-worth-the-money i20 Elite is today, of course.:cool:
    GirishRaghu and asimpleson like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Forget Uno. Even if Fiat gives the Punto at the price of Alto, people in India will still buy Alto. They are so obsessed with the Maruti.
  4. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I agree with you, after all life is cheapest thing available in India.
    And power of stupid persons in large numbers can not be ignored.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @asimpleson

Not at all a bad idea Aseem. Why shouldn't Fiat introduce the two door Uno In India? Alto's are becoming like common cattle on the roads, what people need is one good looking Uno amongst the herd. What say??
    mangeshtendulkar and asimpleson like this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I saw a Datsun Go yesterday and for many people car for a single person in a much smaller package is a need. Apart from the price the Punto does look BIG for some very congested Mumbai roads, where people still prefer a small car for the weekly shopping and dropping kids to school etc..

The UNO could still fit the bill for all these. :confused:
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  7. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    I would immediately go for a 3 door UNO if that becomes reality any day...
    prabhjot and asimpleson like this.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There were a couple of older 3 door UNO Ds that were bought for testing during Uno days. Very rare ones those that are there in India.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The only way they could make the Nuvo Uno work in this car baazar is if they build it tough....and go to marketing town with its distinctive, unique-for-any-Indian-small-car safety and sturdiness?

The experience Chevy had with the brilliant Spark (designed by the same ustaad Mr. Guigiaro who penned the Linea and Punto, if I am not wrong), and Tata had with the even more brilliant Nano, and what Nissan is having with the Go tells me that it would be big unaffordable risk for Fiat (the brand as well as the company) in India to try this segment out.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It should be tough enough in its existing avatar @prabhjot, for a small city based car. If you see there has never been compromises on sheet metal thickness and sheet profiles and design has been to withstand more than equivalent of an average city car. I think Indian people have started to recognize that it is bound to be better in terms of build quality. The key question is will they give this a 1.3mjd too with a better gearbox and tune..:cool: Will make it fun to drive, doesnt matter if its 90hp and such.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 27, 2014 ---
    A huge no. of population for entry level city based cars need these to be very cheap and affordable to maintain. Requiring lowest maintenance in its entire lifetime. Easily fixable by the local gulli mechanic. Yes, diesel engine will need some more maintenance but other things, niggles like door locks, levers, window winders, MIDs, AC and blower components, affordable suspension components. These must match pretty well with Jap and Korean competitors. Even better if they can beat them with some intelligent localization of parts.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    ghodlur and prabhjot like this.