1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alternator conks off in Linea TJet - Wrong Diagnosis by Wasan

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by dj.nish, Jun 27, 2013.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Mangesh is already involved right from Day 1. In fact it was his intervention which ensured that Wasan guys attend to me. Just my bad luck that car wouldn't drive till Sakinaka or Worli, else Fortune or TCRS were my preferences.

They have placed an order with Fiat factory and alternator should reach them today I hope.
    My old battery was already reading 11.5v at rest AND after crank. Unfortunately they forced me to buy a new battery :-(
    Exactly my point. I kept insisting them to check wiring and alternator and he kept refusing!
    Well, Mangesh himself told me to go to Wasan. In fact even when I called RSA, they instructed me to go there based on my location. As far as I understand, exiting Tata-Fiat dealers have been requested by the company to accept vehicles till Sep end.

P.S.
    The mechanic and Works Manager at Wasan were trying to blame all and sundry! They even went to the extent of saying that Amaron battery is the culprit (despite being brand new) since it is not 'recommended' by Fiat. Had I installed an Exide, this problem would have never occurred!

His second stupid statement was - the battery is wrongly installed! (***?) According to him, the Amaron guy must have briefly swapped the negative and positive terminals which has shorted the alternator. I really could not believe what kind of jokers these people are!
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    In a place where there is no dignity of work and no dignity for work its not surprising to find people like that.
    Henceforth make sure you stick to your side of the story . If they are not ready to accept something , just tell them if they are ready to give in writing about there absurd explanations then they will shut up and heed to your words.
    Bunch of buffoons
  3. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    The Amaron dealer from whom I bought was surprised that my OE battery went flat in less than 2 years. When I asked this question to Wasan, you know what he said?

'Sir, Linea is a very advanced car which has 8 ECUs. Hence the load on battery is huge and you are lucky it lasted for 2 years. Most OE Exides in Linea runs flat in1-1.5 years and that's why the company also gives only 18 months warranty on OE batteries'
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    :evilsmile :lol

Hold him by his collar and ask him to show all the 8 ECUs also mail whoever these WASAN motors are and tell them about such fools .
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    In a way he is right. The Linea does have:

1. Engine
    2. ABS
    3. Airbag
    4. Dashboard
    5. Body
    6. Service
    7. Climate Control
    8. Others (Parking control)

These are not ECUs per-se, but computer nodes that are on the CAN BUS. So, 8 is correct, but battery load is not something I buy into.

Rajan
  6. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Normal battery voltage should be ~12.7 V, anything less than 12.4 shows battery is dying. With engine turned voltage should be ~14.2 V, anything less than 14V can be attributed to alternator.
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    So finally on Friday, the alternator arrived at Wasan and it was fitted in my car. Got a call at around 4 pm that after trial etc the car is ready to be collected by me. I reached an hour later and inspected. Upon connecting the multi-meter, battery was showing 13.1v at rest (yes it is high, but that's because we tested immediately after switching off engine. Also, I suspect they might have charged my battery in the fear that a failing alternator may have drained it). Upon cranking, it was showing full 14.4v.

I have been told that this is the first case of alternator failure in a TJet that Wasan has seen. Probably it is a first for a TJet across India as per them too. I have no way to confirm (other than this forum). In either case, this is one statistic that I neither wish to remember nor be proud to be a part of.

I had a long argument with Mr. Shetty (Workshop Manager, Wasan Motors) about reimbursing me / making good my expense of being forced to buy a new battery when (most probably) my OE Exide still had life left. After all, it was a case of pure wrong diagnosis by their technician and despite multiple requests by me to check alternator and wiring, he declared that it was ONLY the battery that was faulty.

As expected, it yielded no positive result. He gave me all kinds of weird (read useless & impractical) solutions i.e. I should return my new Amaron battery to the dealer and take back my old battery, or that their OBD scanner was not working *that day* when I came, or simply because there were too many cars to attend to and hence the technician was overloaded with work. (So he took the quickest way out by blaming my battery. WOW!). He even went to the extent of saying that all this could have been avoided if I would have just bought a new (overpriced) Exide battery from Wasan itself. Then they would have taken out the new battery and returned my old battery/or any other battery from their stockyard etc.

I didn't see any point in continuing the debate, but left only after I made him admit his fault. In the end he was repeatedly apologizing for the incompetency of his staff in being able to diagnose the fault, despite me telling him ALL the symptoms. But despite everything, he was adamant that the ONLY reason they zeroed down on the battery being faulty was because WASAN has never seen an alternator conk off in a Fiat car. Yes, it might be an unheard event, but does it still make a case for not inspecting the electrical to begin with?
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Re: Battery dead? Or something else?

I'm not good with these battery stuff but try to see if amaron can buy it back or if you have a UPS that's in need of a battery replacement then try to trade this new one for that on batterybhai.com
    In the worst case see if you can store it without damage till the old one gives in

from HTC desire S with cynogenmod 7.2
  9. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Your old battery might be the culprit for damaged alternator. It might not be a good idea to fit the old unless it is diagnosed properly.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If they didn't confirm charging voltages before blaming the battery then - Epic Fail.
    GP_Freak likes this.