1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alternator conks off in Linea TJet - Wrong Diagnosis by Wasan

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by dj.nish, Jun 27, 2013.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    A car does not stall when the battery is dying. A running car will continue to run without any issues with a dead battery since the alternator will be powering all the electrical components.

It is when the alternator has problems that the vehicle will probably stall and since the alternator does not charge the battery properly, the battery will eventually die anyway.
    1 person likes this.
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    ^I agree, that was my understanding as well. But then, why would the FASS engineer so confidently deny the alternator conking off, when I told him all of the above? His belief is so strong rooted and he says he's never seen an alternator fail in modern-gen Fiat cars (to be honest, even I haven't heard/read the same).

I have got an appointment for Monday morning at Fortune Sakinana. I'm just hoping the car doesn't stall en route.

What are possible causes of alternator failure? Can water going inside be it?
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Dj.nish,

Most likely its the alternator problem.

The Alternator is NOT providing the current here. and when you crank it, the car uses the juice from the battery until there is no charge left with it. and stalls.
    The Car ran fine for 6-8 kms with the new battery and now your new battery has drained.

check if your alternator belt is loose/cut. Battery was not your problem initially :( .. May also be a electrical short/ground happening in the wiring.

SUJIT
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Could someone post an image/diagram of the location of alternator belt? Will do a self check tomorrow morning.
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Nishant

Also get the AC relay fuse checked. May not be a culprit here but better to eliminate all possibilities as this is a troublesome position. In such cases, FASS sends you to battery guy and he will send you back to FASS and after trial and error when you get home, next morning you'll find the issue again. I went thro' these cycles twice and worse everytime the car did not start. In your case fortunately car is starting.
    1 person likes this.
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    So guys here's the update. I spoke to Wasan Motors on Monday (yesterday) and was told that the alternator has indeed conked off. Since Tata-Fiat have parted ways, no existing service centers have been keeping spare parts in stock. Moreover, alternator is a part that rarely conks off so it was not available across any dealer in Mumbai. They have ordered it from Ranjangaon and the same is expected to reach them by tomorrow (Wed). I hope to have the car back either tomorrow or Thursday.

Please tell me what all to check while taking delivery? Ideally they should connect a multi-meter to see the voltage at rest and at crank right? What should be the figures in both cases?

After this, my next battle would be to seek reimbursement for the new battery that I was made to buy without first checking on my wiring/electricals/alternator. Any help here from forum members would be highly appreciated!

Why I'm surprised is because I narrated all the symptoms to the workshop in detail and persuaded him to check the above. But still he insisted on replacing the battery, because you know, according to them, THEY have never heard of a failing alternator in Fiat. Hence, concluded that alternator can never conk off. Never mind the fact that popping open the bonnet and basic checking *might* have yielded a different diagnosis!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  7. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Write to Mangesh Kodalkar with all the happenings.
    Also make sure you register a concern with the fiat call centre & quote the complaint number in your email to Fiat.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Alternator is available on 99rpm. See if you can ask them to buy it for you from there and install it. Let them pay for it and not you!!

Voltage at rest is not needed. When you crank the car the Voltage should not read below 11V (if its new battery) .
    If the battery is ready <=10V then your battery is also dead.
    Assuming that your alternator had gone kaput i'm sorry to say that may be your New battery might also have suffered. Just check and see . you can always claim for warranty on new battery. Just tell them you got a bad piece ;-)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Never heard of alternator failure means the rarity of such a thing occurring is high but its not unseen.
  9. Wassan is TATA dealer right? Do you think still FIAT can do some thing?
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    TATA dealers who still have rights for FIAT car service will come under the purview of FIAT mgmt IMO.
    I think one of the guys in AADYA also told me the same so they should ideally honour our complaints