1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alternatives for all lubricants used in our FIATS

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Mar 12, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

I'm starting this thread to know about various aftermarket lubricants available for FIATs.

Note :: Discussion here is for brands of "Coolant" , "Power steering oil", "gearbox" oil only.

We have threads discussing engine oil already but for the remaining i thought of starting this thread.

My reasons.
    I"m done with TASS for good and if not anything the FIAT service centers in blr will also be charging quite heavily on labor so that seems a long shot for me unless i have replacements .
    Keeping this in mind i've started to collect all things necessary to get my 45K service done outside.
    Starting with Engine oil/ coolant.

I already have Coolant and engine Oil i'm looking for the remaining lubes.

Reasons for this thread.
    I would like to know from this forum about after market lubes that can be used for the above mentioned purposes as the oils used by FIAT are either very hard to come by or non existent in the outside market at all.
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My advice is to stick up to lubricants suggested by fiat.
    2 reasons as follows.

I used engine oil MAK 4T made by BP 20W 50 API SJ grade for my pulsar 220 Fi.
    I started to get burnt oil smell & minor leakege from crankcase.
    Means though the oil was as per grade told by Bajaj Auto, oil was not having stability for performance bike. Oil was being burnt in combustion chamber. That's why I was getting burnt smell of oil & oil was becoming thin as rise in engine temp.

As the oil was loosing viscocity it was easily leaking through the crankcase.
    I switched to Veedol. Problem of leakege & burnt smell solved without doing any repair.

2nd example - ASS of MSIL were using engine oil of Servo 20W 40 made by IOC for my DDiS.
    In 5000 km oil level was going to min. level. So I switched to Castrol. Problem of oil consumption reduced without any repairs.

Verdict is Selenia & other lubes are specially made for MJD.
    So if you go for any alternate option you may face problem.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I wonder what you have to say for Oil Like Delvac1?
    Many people here including me use it for MJD,it is way better than Selenia WR.
    And the Oil's mentioned by you in your post,are not the best out there,like MAK 4T.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Akshay
    I am not saying that Delvac 1 is bad.
    I just gave an example of MAK 4T to get an idea