1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alternate route to Kozhikode (Calicut)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by clash81, Jan 19, 2012.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I am planning to travel to Kozhikode (Calicut) this month end. News paper reports say that the wayanad Ghat section has traffic restrictions due to repair work.

Is anyone aware of any alternate routes? I checked in google maps and found out that i can take a diversion from Gundlupet and reach Nilambur in kerala. Has anyone taken this route? If so, how are the roads?

thanks in advance!
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I havent tried the Nilambur road.
    You could try this route: Bangalore ~ Srirangapatna ~ Hunsur ~ Tithimathi ~ Gonikoppal ~ Perumpady ~ Makuta ~ Kootupozha ~ Iritty ~ Mattanur ~ Thalassery ~ Calicut
    (this is my regular route home. At Iritty, I take the turn towards Taliparamba. Last time, the Hunsur-gonikoppal stretch was in very bad shape, so I took the Hunsur-periyapatna-sidhapura-Ammathi-virajpet route. That was three months back and I hope hunsur-gonikoppal road should be better now.

Another route is Bangalore ~ Mysore ~ Gundalpet ~ Bathery ~ Manathavady ~ Boys Town ~ Kottiyoor ~ Peravoor ~ Irritty ~ Mattanur ~ Thalassery ~ Calicut
    (I have taken this route to go to Kannur couple of times, but long back. I used to take deviation from Mattanur towards Kannur. The Ghat sections are very steep.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thulasi, thanks for the options.

I am thinking over the routes. I think the Nilambur one will work better for me because it would be easy to reach my place in calicut from Nilambur. Will have to call up some friends and ask about the condition of the road.

btw, it seems they are allowing vehicles through wayanad but not any heavy vehicles but i am sure it is going to be tough negotiating that stretch with a lot of traffic. Hence i am searching for alternatives.

thanks again!
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A friend of mine confirms thats the roads are quite good except for a few Kms in bandipur forest. He had taken this route to Calicut two months back. He drives a Ford FUSION.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    wow, prompt replies. I am overwhelmed :D

Yes, i have more or less decided on this route. A few Kms of bad roads is ok!

Thanks again!
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Update on the route, if someone is planning to travel to calicut.

Cars and LMVs are allowed through the ghats. So i dint take the Nilambur road and could travel through wayanad ghats.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Update on the route, if someone is planning to travel to calicut.

Cars and LMVs are allowed through the ghats. So i dint take the Nilambur road and could travel through wayanad ghats.
  7. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Bumping up and old thread.

Planning to drive to Calicut this weekend. I have always been taking the Bangalore-Mysore Highway and then NH212 via Gundalpet to Calicut. Just want to check how the NH209 (Via Kanakpura->Kollegal->Chamarajanagara->Gundalpet) fare in comparison? Please let me know if there is anyone who has taken this road.
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    In the Kanakpura->Kollegal stretch you will encounter some bad stretches. I had taken this route (not up to Kollegal though) to visit Somnathpur temple around a month back or so. It was terrible.

If you are starting early in the morning, Mysore road is the best.
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks.

Yes, I normally prefer early morning as well, but can start only by afternoon this time. Anyway based on your feedback on the other route, I will stick to the Mysore road this time too :)
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The NH209 is in excellent shape. If you take the Bannur route from Malavalli, the route is a mixed bag with smooth and sudden potholes which are quite big.

Since you are starting by afternoon, you could try this route, but let me tell you the route is a bit longer than the usual Mysore route by about 20 kms. But the route has far lesser traffic, good roads and a few really good curves.

Bangalore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagara - Gundlupet - then usual route to Calicut.

Points to note: Roads upto Chamarajanagara is excellent with sparse traffic except upto Kanakapura. You can definitely make quick progress. The
    Chamarajanagara - Gundlupet is ok with a few pot holes around and will require a bit of caution to ensure you dont surprise yourself with the potholes. But ensure you cross the forest checkpost before 9 pm as the gates would be closed beyond 9 pm.

Note: Fuel stations that are good to fuel is Kanakapura, Chamarajanagar and Gundlupet.
    2 people like this.