1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alloy Wheel Distortion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by KKAUL, May 19, 2015.

1. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I had purchased Punto 1.3 Emotion in april 2014 and had driven it around 41K km when it was due for tyre change last week. After installing the new set of tyres the tyre shop was unable to balance the rims as they had lost their circularity and were out of their scope so they took best 2 rims which had minimal ovalty and put them in forward. Now when I contacted Fiat to ask why have they gone oval if they do not have a single scratch on them and they directed me to the dealer Oberoi Mototech NOIDA. When I telephoned the service head Mr. Gopalan he casually replied that the ovalty is due to the weight of the car and warranty does not apply to alloys and need to be replaced.
    Again I telephoned FIAT pune and they said they will discuss it with their technical team and will let me know tommorrow.

I am surprised if the alloys cannot handle the weight of the car then how am i responsible.

Lets see what happens tomorrow
  2. kookaburra

kookaburra Amatore

Pune
    The dealers generally don't give any detailed thoughts to customers' concerns. It will be interesting to know what what Fiat says.
  3. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL 41K KMs in one year, that is a lot of driving.

Did you get the rotation in regular interval?

Alloy does be bent easily, if u try hard, they may break.

Please get into the bottom of the issue which will help lot of people to avoid such instance.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear pdash can you please elaborate how can wheel rotation avoid rim ovalty. Wheel rotation is meant to make maximum use of tyre treads because front wheel are always subjected to load as far as I know. This ovalty as far as I can understand will be on all models running with tyre section 195 60 R15 in punto. Had the section been 185 70 R14 the alloy will get more cushioning and and bending will be less. This phenomena will be only with punto due to its weight. If they had to run this tyre section then they must choose a much heavier alloy wheel which can tolerate the weight of the car.

This is pure understanding of what I could gather with driving this car for a year.
  5. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Till date I have telephoned the dealer 3 times and Fiat Pune 4 times. Each time the company says dealer will look into the matter and dealer says will forward the report to the company. But of no use.They are throwing ball in each others court meanwhile I am suffering.
    Can Anybody tell how to reach the correct person who could take action and not just assurances.
    They both know what the problem is but they are just dodging around so that I loose my interest and withdraw my complaint.

Can anybody suggest what to do
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @KKAUL

Hi. It will be implausible to argue that this is any sort of defect/underspeccing of the alloy, etc, since it's been driven as many as 41000 kms, on who knows what roads, and in who knows what way, etc. They aren't covered under warranty, i don't believe, at least not on any other hand strict conditins(?), for precisely that reason: unverifiability, unknowability of the cause of alloy oval-ing.

Now, if this is something others, too, report then yes the case is stronger, till then it'll be impossible to persuade. Am unsure of what one can reasonably expect from FCA on this issue? Unless this is a common occurence on Punto-s with these alloys....which it may not be.

cheers, all the best
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I know the there are hundred of reasons to find my fault in driving to get past warranty but the truth will remain that the alloys do not match dynamics of the car. Regarding other cases yes there will be definitely other case too I can be sure of that but how many of us will come forward and complain.maximum cases are closed at dealer level. I live in delhi and this vehicle is used mainly for travelling in NCR region may be upto 200 km radius. I drive much heavier vehicles with alloys and have driven them in extreme conditions but stlll they have never lost there circularity. For your Info one of my punto alloys had company fitted single 100 gms weight on the inner edge. This I came to know when we opened the wheel.Moreover the car we purchased is meant to be run in India nor in Italy so they have to design it as per our country roads of course it has not be driven like a lunatic.
    My service intervals are 5K and 10K kms so you can understand the care we take in maintenance.

Anyways we can argue on it all day but the thing is that truth should prevail be it mine or FCA

Regards
    KK
  8. venkatesh s

venkatesh s Timido

hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have been in a hunt for punto 2ndd hand......have seen 2-3 cars....odo around 45k..1st owner...5years old.....!!

when i took them for inspection to a servicing centre....i was asked to change alloys for all 3 cars.....!!

seems this alloys issue is inherent to punto....!!
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear Venkatesh

You are very much right. The alloys will bend and no force on earth can stop them from bending.

Also prabhjot got his answer

I can very well understand the reason of ovalty. It is nothing to do with driving style but design fault and I can prove it if given a chance by the factory.
  10. venkatesh s

venkatesh s Timido

hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL alloys replacement is like a deal breaker considering the cost of each new alloy wheel.....any person taking a 2nd hand car will be budget conscious....why would he take a car which has 30k worth repair to be done by him....!