1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

All new XUV 500 W8 :)

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by kailasmenon2000, Sep 2, 2014.

1. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    No it isn't...It is fixed at 2.5s.
  2. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Thank you...Yup they have sorted out majority of problems I've read people saying. Especially the suspension. Still I find considerable amount of body roll. Till now thats the only major problem I found.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    hmm...2.5s is very less i guess, but what is the time lag between engine cut off and fires up again? If this is a bit noticeable then it would irk drivers for example u just stopped a vehicle to talk to a person for few secs or even asking for direction though you r just on break and not on clutch/A pedals. After 2.5 s the engine cuts off but you may have not realized this. Or am i over thinking on this? o_O
  4. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Hehehe, yup. You are over thinking slightly. 2.5s is an apt timing. There is no lag at all in turning on the engine. It starts as soon as you press the clutch. As I mentioned in a previous comment, its not like turning the key & switching on the engine. Just a press on the clutch & its ready to move. And this feature can be turned off with a button press. So when you are driving in highways, you can turn it off.
    And in situations like asking for direction, you know well that this feature is on, so that you'll depress the clutch while asking the direction..Another option is to turn the micro hybrid button off with a single touch :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Any idea how much would be the cost difference to have this feature and to not have. Not sure if XUV models themselves have this variants of having and not?
    Would be great if vendors start to put this in all cars regardless of segments may be the mass production will reduce the cost overall i hope. Saving environment this way is really needed and must.
  6. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Micro hybrid tecnology is there in all varients. Yes its a good idea to have it in all cars. But I don't think that'll happen in the near future. All I wish is to have airbags as standard in all cars! :)
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

I feel that there isnt a credible direct sedan upgrade path to a car like Linea, esp TJet. What do you really get in a D-segment car ?
    1) Slightly better legspace
    2) A couple more airbags, but at a considerable expense.
    3) Slightly better power (but to what use beyond 120kph)
    4) Zero bragging power. I mean, who gives a flyin' f**k to a Jetta/Cruze/Fluence/Elantra/Corolla in a city like Pune ?
    5) Lesser or equal fuel efficiency.
    Is it really worth spending 70% more money ? I dont think so.
    Atleast, an SUV like XUV/Storme can muscle its way through the traffic. Plus you do get much more space in the car than the D segment sedans.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip You sir have obviously had your automotive reasoning spoilt to bits by the Linea T-jet which, am sure you'll agree, IS a D-segment car minus the taxes paid on import duties for CKD kit! Maybe an airbag or two missing, and that is it. ;-)
  9. acechip

acechip Superiore

I had the opportunity to drive the XUV very recently. It was a W8 version. Here are my impressions:
    1) I was instantly at ease with the cabin. The ergonomics are very good. The drivers seat feels like a veritable airplane cockpit. High up, but not too much.
    2) Smooth engine, and speed masking ability. Before I knew it, I was 70kph in 4th, with the tachometer lazying at 1600 rpm.
    3) Silent cabin, I could barely hear the horn of my car.
    4) Good peripheral view via the side mirrors.
    5) Stiff suspension, but not overtly so at low to medium speeds.
    6) Touchscreen menu is a bit complex and laggy. Not a great idea to fiddle around from the drivers side.
    7) Very good brakes with lesser brake dive than expected. BUT not in the league of the T-Jet which stops as if it has weighed concrete anchor.
    8) Last but not the least, massive cabin space for the price.
    9 I drove for around 10-12 km, but even in moderate traffic, it gave me 15 kmpl (after resetting the meter).

Hmm. The car surely got me thinking a bit.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    ....no doubt about how deliberately tasteless its design is, how hard its plastics are, how choppy its ride is on bad roads, how tawdry its interiors are too, relative to the Tata Safari Storme (updated one coming up) or the Aria. ;-)