1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

All About Tyres Size

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by moksh, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    King the width and the sidewall both affect GC.
    If calculated, the diameter of 165/80 comes out to be 61.96 cm. Now going by the two sizes you mentioned

Size 1 - 195/55/15 - diameter is 59.55cm
    Size 2 - 205/55/15 - diameter is 60.65cm

The difference in diameter stands at 2.41cm and 1.31cm respectively. Hence the you loose 2.41cm of ground clearance with 195/55 section tires as opposed to 1.31 in case of 205/55. So now its up to individual to choose from the two. Also important to note is that the sidewall in 195/55 is thinner than in 205/55 by 0.55cm hence slightly more prone do sidewall damage.

Last but not the least you run an error of 3.89% at the speedo which is way beyond recommendation and will give you false readings at the speedo console also it might cause the ABS to act up.
    But with 205/55 you run an error of 2.11% which is still acceptable though not really THE BEST option but still acceptable.

Can you please mention what's our targeted tires name ?

Sent from my HTC butterfly using Tapatalk 2
  2. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Thanks for the info, I am looking at Maxiss MA-Z1 and as per what I have seen and heard the sidewall for Ma-Z1 at 55 are quite strong
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No matter how strong their sidewall is, it ain made of steel, too hard a sidewall can send the bump to the rim and shocks rather than absorbing it causing suspension or rim issues.
    Knowing that the punto is a rather heavy car it makes the effect worse.

Look out for other options aswell

Sent from my HTC butterfly using Tapatalk 2
  5. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

Bangalore
    Am considering 205/60 R15 for my punto 90hp. The chap at Sai Iyengar Sarjapur tells me that it will probably touch the wheel well when taking a deep turn. Is this correct? Is anybody here running 205/60 R15 on pre-2012 punto without the GC kit?
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    hemanth (puntom) has been running on this tyre size. I have been running on 195/65 which is also similar in height! in my case, tyres touch wheel well only on full turn. in that situation car is at parking speeds so it doesnt matter.
  7. Been running on stock 165/80 R14.

I want to upsize to 15", what tyre profile is best suitable?
  8. 195/60 r15

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. dattatray

dattatray Timido

New Delhi
    Hey kamikaze,

I am using this size on my pre-2012 punto and I ain't facing any issue. And I haven't installed the GC kit as well.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  10. captain

captain

Mumbai
    Hi Guys,

I have a Red Punto MJD active, completing 49000 KM very soon and looking to change my shoes. Its fitted with OEM 165/80 R14 with stock rims.

Please suggest on which should be the best tyre for an upsize and what size exactly should I go for?

After reading varuous threads, I relaized that the most recommeneded size from 165/80 R 14 is 185/70 R14. Is that right?

And if yes, Are Appollo tyres good enough for an upgrade? Else, which brand shall I consider. My preferences are comfort and less of noise but can not compromise too much on FE, a little bit will do.

And, my wheel caps are worn out and everytime I have checked at Thane dealership, they say they do not have the wheel caps? is good and sporty R14 size wheel cap available in the market which can be put while changing the tyres?

Looking for a quick response as if possible, I shall get the upgrade done today itself.

Thanks.

Captain.