1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Alfa Romeo GIULIA (rave-)reviews and news. :-)

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by prabhjot, May 10, 2016.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    No man. V6's are too big and too thirsty imo, esp for India. We in India are perfectly happy and have had early training in turbocharged engines, because of the economy-minded diesels that have been and are so popular here, EVEN among the very rich. So i guess NA v6's are impossible here. Folks in india cannot even appreciate (in the sense of choosing to buy them on a preferential basis) a small turbopetrol like the t-jet or indeed the 1.4 and 1.8 tsi engines on the VW Jetta and Skoda octavia et al, so where is the question of v6's or v8's? Funny thing is that except for a few models in the usa, even v8's are on their way out globally, even in the usa, because of CAFE and co2+nox etc emissions regs.

Of course the Jeep Cherokee diesel is a diesel 3 litre v6 (vm motori, an fca company), as are the diesel Maserati Ghibli and Quattroporte, now on sale with 2/3, with more coming, dealerships in india.

FCA usa has tremendous capability and fame in v6's ('Pentastar' engines) and v8's too ('Hemi'...), but obviously very different in nature to the italian v6 and v8 engines of fca+ferrari.

The Giulia QV's v6 is amazing because it features cylinder deactivation and twin turbo-s+direct injection etc: 510hp from a mere 3 litres but with amazing fuel efficiency and emissions levels for such a high pot engine.

This car must have sublime ride and handling: it was engineered from the very outset with the ttv6 510 hp in mind, and yet.....the exact same chassis, steering and suspension tech and components are being used for even the entry-level economy-minded diesels. Class leading ride, handling, steering+braking combo, it sounds like from the reviews.

BUT: even in europe and esp in china and the usa the luxury-indulgence and gizmo-count matter evermore than engineering subtleties of engine, chassis, suspension etc. So the new Alfa-s may not be roaring sales successes, straight away, at least not without a lot of fca's justly famous advertizing (in the usa and europe). The Alfa new-engineering (to soon figure on Maserati, Jeep and Dodge models) is certainly future-proof, and bleeding-edge, but it will take all the models through 2020 (8 of them, including 3 suv-s) for the brand to truly be re-etsblished in good-financial-health?

@zam123
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    From sales reports so far, and from reviews in europe (different languages) the Alfa Giulia is witnessing very strong initial demand, not least in germany, italy, spain and france. It has not been launched in the uk yet (then there is the post-brexit situation there as well: a recession.)

The unique, longform Autogefuhl, a german site in english too, video review of the Alfa Giulia. A proper contender, with many class-best qualities (chassis, steering, design, brakes, weight, engines.)

AND:

Chris Harris, no less, now of bbc topgear, likes it very strongly too. Unmissable (also: film) review from him of the 510hp twin-turbo v6 Quadrifoglio version:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/review/chris-harris-vs-503bhp-alfa-giulia#1

And Jeremy Clarkson, ex-TopGear witty/sarcastic alfa self-confessed aficionado adores it too:

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...verde/&usg=AFQjCNGOgvMzvPZXGQy02_ShzYNN-u_8ew

The Giulia's d-sports-cuv avatar the Stelvio will be shown at the LA auto show apparently in november for availability in early 2017. The Giulia is being tested in the usa and china too. The usa launch will be at the end of the year, with the main engines being not the fast-yet-light-efficient-and-with-good-emissions new 2.2 all-aluminium multijet diesel but the all-new 2.0 litre turbopetrol multiair with direct injection, good for 280bhp as a standard, also with fca's famed Q4 awd setup (shared with maserati.) That engine has been reviewed in its 200bhp european avatar already (not available for sale yet) and reviewers are all ultra-impressed.

After the Stelvio (2017) will come an e-sedan (5-series, a6, e-classe segment), and a Dodge usa-only version of the Stelvio, and a c-suv plus a Giulia coupe and the new rwd Guilietta off this same 'platform' family: by end-2018/2019.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    EVO UK: Alfa Romeo Giulia Q vs BMW M4 Competion Package vs Lexus RCF vs Mercedes C63 S Coupe.

Colle del Gran San Bernardo, Italy

‘What do you think?’ asks Dan when we stop to grab some more photos. This sounds awful but without thinking I blurt out, ‘It’s not poopies!’ with
    a huge grin. I’m not trying to be cruel, it’s just a mark of how worried I was that Alfa would once again fail to live up to expectations. For me, even
    after a very quick drive, I know that’s not the case.
    It’s better than I’d hoped, in fact. Dan concurs. ‘It’s the first saloon car I’ve driven that actually feels like a sports car,’ he says. ‘The steering is so sharp
    and the chassis so taut, which gives the car the response and immediacy of a much lighter, lower machine.’
    The Mercedes pretty much delivers everything you crave and pine for in the M4 in about 20 seconds. Its engine booms, crackles and howls, the
    AMG Sport mode for the stability control is lenient so that you can always feel the power tweaking the car’s cornering line (M Dynamic mode is very restrictive in the M4 Competition), the steering is fast and makes the car feel keen to just get stuck in. Okay, it’s light on feel initially, but you can dial into what it’s doing and very quickly you’re driving the C63 S on its door handles.
    There isn’t quite the mechanical grip of the M4 or the Alfa, but that hardly seems to matter. The car perfectly treads the line between control and entertainment. It’ll just about live with the M4 in terms of pace if you keep it neat and tidy, but always asks a bit more from you: to pull back a bit of turn-in understeer if you’ve been greedy on entry, to judge the amount of power the rear tyres can take and balance
    any slip.
    The whole experience just draws you in and despite the great forces at work, the car is so progressive in everything it does. Dan, Will and I are all in agreement. The winner of this test is either the C63 S or the Giulia Quadrifoglio. Take a moment to digest that. We all believe that the Giulia is more exciting and enjoyable than the M4 Competition Package. I think it’s faster, too. The way it changes direction is quite amazing and the grip offered by the Pirelli tyres is above and beyond the rest of the cars here.
    I find the Alfa more enjoyable the longer and further I drive. It’s true that it lacks the final polish that the Mercedes and BMW offer in terms of damping, gearshift speed and precision, and the fine detail of things such as ABS actuation, but it more than compensates withits sense of urgency, its terrific steering response and the sheer manic performance it can serve up on a great road.
    In the quicker corners you feel it working, driving the front wheels into each corner and creating this lovely, easily manipulated balance. One final drive swings it for the Alfa. I think. But then I sit in the Mercedes, and never mind the nearly ten-grand premium, it feels £25,000 more expensive. And I start the engine and it rips and snorts into life. And when it streams down the hill, the chassis feels so unbelievably easy to
    tease and boss. It’s the arch entertainer. Hand on heart, would I enjoy driving this thing every day more than I would the Alfa? Yes. But it’s a close-run thing. The Giulia Quadrifoglio is an Alfa Romeo we can all love not for the badge, not because it’s Italian and noisy, but because it’s a great car.
    I’d waited many years to drive the Col du Grand Saint Bernard and perhaps even longer to drive a genuinely brilliant Alfa Romeo. To do both at the
    same time? Unforgettable

------ Evo magazine, latest issue

It would appear clear to many car aficionado-s and journalists in Europe (like Jeremy Clarkson and the Evo folks) that the Alfa Giulia is, for design, powertrains, and chassis/weight/brakes/ride-handling the class-leader, yet retaining a distinct Alfa-ness and Italianate character. It is also notably less expensive, better equipped euro-for-euro.

What an engineering achievement from FCA Italy: to have developed an entire scalable- and ultra-lightweight, euroNCAP 5 star platform (scoring the highest marks for any car ever!), bleeding-edge new engines (especially the turbo petrols) etcetera in just about 3+ years, and on a very-taut budget, and yet to have outdone the Germans (especially BMW) in so many areas!
    sriramr9 likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    001-evo226-cover-uk.jpg
    066_evo226_alfa-giulia-group-test.jpg

Source: evo.co.uk
    Navneet likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Great video from over-the-race-driver's shoulder: the Giulia's engine and chassis, steering etc seem as awesome as a Ferrari for a large-fraction of the price. Must watch!

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio 8-speed automatic beats the record for the Nurburgring (4-door saloon): the very fastest sedan ever, on the famously handling-braking-steering hyper-testy circuit.

The Giulia quadrifoglio manual had broken that record too, a few months ago. Porsche (vw group) in turn beat that (with the usual german cheating: it was a specially race-prepped, lightened etc car) with the new Panamera turbo (a much larger and vastly more expensive car, with a much bigger engine: different segment, more Maserati-competition than Alfa.)

Well, Alfa have already broken the Germans' breaking of its own Nurburgring record.

Stunning video this of the record breaking run by the Alfa Giulia and its young Italian test driver.
    sriramr9 likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-tgs-speed-week-special

For whatever such claims and judgments and pronouncements are worth, in terms of sales growth, conquest sales and profits: Chris Harris, no less, pronounces the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio as the Ferrari of sporty saloons/sedans, i.e., as better than anything from BMW (3 and 4-series), Mercedes/AMG, let alone Audi=VW.

The engineering of the Giulia is completely bleeding-edge, after all: most rigid chassis, lightest, yet longest wheelbase, all-new champion petrol and very good all-new diesel engine too, etc etc.

Ineviatbly: the coming-very-soon Stelvio d-cuv sibling of the Giulia will also be class-leading in engineering and design.

As Marchionne himself has stated the Giulia platform and powertrains express the very best of FCA's considerable but for financial reasons hitherto under-deployed capabilities. Capabilities that are, based on so many reviews in so many countries not least being Germany, evidently if anything well-ahead of the Germans. Similar things seem to be valid about the Maserati Levante vis-a-vis the Porsche Cayenne, no doubt similar superiority to anything German and from LandRover will show itself again on the suv/Jeep front (new Compass, new Wranglers, new 2018/19 Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer.)
    Navneet likes this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.automotive-circle.com/Review/EuroCarBody-2016

FCA won the the demanding EuroCarBody 2016 award for the Alfa Romeo Giulia, judged exactingly by car body engineers: the use of carbon fibre, the ultra-high rigidity, and the rounded-ness of all edges seems to be the reason, as well as its manufacturing process at Cassino a bleeding edge plant with ultra-high automation.
    sriramr9 and Navneet like this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    The Alfa Romeo, hitherto represented only by the 4C coupe and Spider, sold at 'FIAT studios' has finally launched the Giulia in the usa, as well.

And the reviews are glowing: every reviewer's convinced of the authenticity of Italian-ness and Alfa-ness of this new series of models. The Stevio/Stelvia cuv avatar of the Giulia will be shown at the LA Auto Show next month. Most Alfa dealers will either be alongside FIAT, with the expanded and new ones mainly being combined dealerships with the pre-existing and successful Maserati ones (in the usa.)

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...jSE18EEOF0xpwd7U7nuJWw&bvm=bv.136811127,d.c2I

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=...ews/first-drive-2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-review

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=...rive-2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-article-1.2849356
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 29, 2016, Original Post Date: Oct 29, 2016 ---
    http://driving.ca/alfa-romeo/giulia...rst-drive-2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio

NOTE:

The mainly-for-the USA, all-new 2litre DI+MultiAir, variable-valve lift, all-aluminium turbo-petrol first available on the Giulia is rated at 280 hp: more and better at torque and with great emisisons and decent FE too than the most powerful normal BMW, Audis and Merc-s. Class leading, then, at power as well as thanks to its light-yet-most-rigid chassis in class, ride AND handling, with the fastest feelsome, weighty steering and the by a distance braking prowess too.

This engine will also be offered in a TI form: i.e., with Maserati's Q4 awd and torque-vectoring to individual wheels tech.

Later, Alfa Romeo will offer a 350 hp version of this engine in mild-hybrid form: with a 48v e-turbocharger etc.

This is an fca-wide engine, and a clear industry best petrol engine for its size. While obviously too-big for any Fiat or even Abarth (?) it will in one tune/avatar or the other start appearing on Jeeps, Dodges and Chryslers too, going forward, probably starting with the new Compass launching in early 2017 in the usa, and the all-new Wrangler family for end-2017/2018. Some of its tech has apparently been 'shared' with Jaguar-LandRover for the latter's first own turbopetrol series too (JLR had hitherto been reliant on Ford engines.)
    sriramr9 likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    http://www.clubalfa.it/18860-alfa-r...piu-bella-vinto-premio-volante-doro-2016.html

Alfa Romeo Giulia wins the famous and respected German AutoBild et al 'Golden Steering' award for most-beautiful new car. Germany, unlike any other European country, is a sedan market and AutoBild has considerable authority and respect, so this award is significant indeed, and does suggest that the new Alfa Romeo's pent-up demand is considerable.

The Giulia's sporty-cuv sibling (Stelvio? Stelvia?) will be revealed at the LA Auto Show later this month, and proceed on sale in q1 of 2017.
    sriramr9 likes this.
  10. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Reid Bigland says the test driver Fabio Francia did the record quiet casually on a production version of the Giulia QV (No Prep done) with his Jeans, Normal shirt, since he was aiming for a record there were instances of witnessing couple of risky over steers which he had to try and tackle in order to extract the fastest time lap of where he achieved then, 07 m:32 seconds. Bigland has a huge smile on his face when he talks about that magical number during the Stelvio Launch in the LA Auto Premier.

Making a production car to be compared with leagues of two seater exotics is a real achievement and it speaks volumes already (Awards, rave reviews, Golden Steering).

I feel Faurecia should now work in ironing out all the rough edges of the cockpit and interior and provide a best package.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    prabhjot likes this.