1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ajanta-a pictologue

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by onlymakarand, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks makarand i will keep an close eye to your thread and very soon i will plan for the same.
    1 person likes this.
  2. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    These are some pics taken inside the caves-

26.jpg

Some explanation about the statue and stupas- there were 2 sects amongst Buddha's disciples, namely 'Mahayan' and 'Hiniyan'. The Mahayan Sect Believed in Idol Worshiping and the Hiniyan in Stupa worshiping. Accordingly,there are some caves with Buddha Idols and some with only stupas.. The idols in each cavare carved with different 'mudras' i.e. hand gestures and overall its a serene feeling just watching them.

27.jpg

the padmapani sculpture,cave no.1

28.jpg

largest cave,cave no 6

29.jpg

outer view

51.jpg

nice silhouette

30.jpg

even outside,there are these beautiful carvings

31.jpg

overlooking the way

32.jpg

the stupa

33.jpg

sculptures outside cave no 10

34.jpg

pali shilalekh inside the cave

35.jpg

such beautiful paintings

36.jpg

encountered this unique sparrow outside..

will upload the final portion of this photologue shortly
    3 people like this.
  3. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    We couldnt remember how time flew when we were enjoying cave after cave of intricate carvings and beautiful paintings!! soon we were onto the last but most important cave,cave no.26.. (There are 30 caves in all but only 26 are accessible to us)

This beautiful elephant wel-comed us as we passed by!

37.jpg

38.jpg

Carvings on the entrance to the cave..

39.jpg

Another architectural marvel- the roof of the cave designed like human rib-cage!! The message the artists are giving here is that This is the heart of the cave complex!! Next pic will explain why-

40.jpg

Beautiful Carvings depicting the stupa and Buddha statue in one sculpture,Meaning both the sects- Mahayan and Hiniyan are ultimately only one!!

41.jpg

This is the famous Sleeping Buddha statue..Depicting Mahaparinirvana of The Buddha..

42.jpg

notice the serene expressions on the face..

43.jpg

After seeing all the caves,it was time to visit the waterfall that runs through the very mountain which nestles the caves..the river Waghur originates here..Will shortly upload the remaining pics..
    1 person likes this.
  4. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    52.jpg
    This is the bridge that connects the two mountains on the way to waterfall..notice the scarcity of water in the riverbed below..this year, we have had very scant rain in our region :sadblue As a result we anticipated that the waterfall must be thin still we decided to give it a try..

44.jpg
    Here also used to be one small mountain stream, sadly this year,there isn't any.. :( contemplating where it has gone..

47.jpg
    had to climb down these steps to go near the waterfall viewing platform

45.jpg
    This is the waterfall..imagine what a picture it must be when in full flow..

46.jpg
    This is how small it was!! ;)

After seeing the fall, we decided to head back..one final look at the caves from the other side of the river-
    48.jpg

Came back to the base of the caves via the garden route to find the bus ready to ferry us back to the T-junction.. Going back through the shopping plaza, shops like these catch your eye-
    49.jpg

This was the point where our camera battery ran dead,hence couldn't take pics during return journey, which anyway was quite uneventful..was back home by 8.00 pm , fully refreshed and awestruck!!

I will sign off this pictologue by this killer of a photo which i took in the shopping plaza..kindly read all the letters on the menu which distinctly resemble english :lol
    50.jpg

Thanks all for viewing and appreciating this thread. I would recommend all to visit these caves atleast once to see the marvel created by us indians 1400 yrs back :eek: .
    Since this being my first travelogue,I apologize for any lacunae in description..your comments,suggestions and criticism are welcome!!:p
    1 person likes this.