1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Airfilters for Punto and Linea

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by chethansgangoor, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Well had it been that my experience with the K&N Free flow filters was good i would have been the first person to get this on my linea.

i am a huge fan of free flow filters at its the most basic and cheapest mod with good gains. you car revvs freely and you feel the difference immediately.

But when it comes to indian conditions these filters prove fatal to the engine and other components. i bought the K&N as it has lifetime warranty, cleaning needs to be done only after 40-50k kms and much more claims.

Day1 when i fitted the K&N filter that too replacement ones which is the safest bet i felt an immediate increase in performance.
    i was very happy crunching miles on it,

then one fine day my car started giving idling trouble and much more. checked every damn thing but the problem was not solved. then i opened the throttle body, also dismantled all the sensors on it.
    I was shocked to see the goo sort oil fudged dirt all over in throttle body. the IAC valve was almost stuck. the MAF sensor fully coated with sticky oil.

i cleaned it throughly which was very difficult and somehow aligned all the sensors to correct voltage etc with Maruti ECU TECH2 scanner.
    then my car was again happy but this happiness was short lived. after clocking few thousand kms again same problem. again cleaned the throttle body.

then i switched to oem filter and did 15k kms without any problem. but again the kida of performance filter struck me and again i put the k&N but this time after getting a new brand replacement after complaining K&N about my problem.

after few thousand kms again i had to open the throttle body and this time the IAC was damged. i had to replace the whole throttle body which costs almost 16k INR but i got it out from an brand new accident loss vehicle so costed me just 3000 rs.

now i am seeing that the inlet ports are clogged with black dirt and oil, the valves cover when opened shows similar scene inside and i dont even know whats up with my pistons. the compression has definitely become low.

i am still using the same filter though which i tend to throw out as soon as i am back to india.

but to be frank the performance free flow filters are very good mod to anyones car. its just the climatic conditions in india that screw up their claims.

i know one rule more free flow = less filtration.

and before anyone blasts me that i am defaming the free flow filters let me share the pics of my ride in US which is modded with free flow filter and intake revision. but intake revision is not a plastic. you can see that the filter remains clean despite of thousands and thousands of kms clogged on them.

my mustang.jpg

ford mustang GT.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. That's really scary.
  3. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    s black mustang. wow
  4. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    For a change I supply some pictures of a cotton gauze filter that was only three months in use on British roads (not Indian roads!). The air intake was fitted to a so called cold air feed.

The grime that can be seen is of the finest sort of particles.

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg
  5. drifter
    was there any problem with the engine internals?
    over a period of usage?
    guys
    i am planning to get one for my dad's xtrail.
    is it a good thing?
    i already got a racechip for the car.
    planning to get the airfilter and fix both of them!!
    what say?
  6. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Four years on the engine still is in good shape. We had it on the dyno without a power difference that would give any reason to worry. All my cars are fitted with cotton gauze elements.
  7. samyakmodi

samyakmodi Novizio

Indore
    any idea how bmc air filters fare??
  8. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The one in the pictures in post #24 is a BMC. The medium is virtually the same as green, K&N, Jetex, Ramair etc.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    nice to hear from you after a long time. how have you been? are you back to india? did you already remap Kailashnj's MJD? all are mum on this :(
  10. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Unfortunately not. I have overspent in Mumbai trusting that production would be set up in Mumbai, which hasn't happeened and 23 lakh rupees later I am back to square 1.

However, I will be back. Currently I am in London in process of developing new product for India.

I am working on an all new AIRs for India i. e. Linea 1.4 16v, Linea M-Jet, Punto 1.2, Punto M-Jet, Paslio M-Jet. I hope to be back in India in January.