1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Airfilters for Punto and Linea

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by chethansgangoor, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Guys,

Can you please post the pros and cons of aftermarket airfilters for our cars. Possibly owners who have installed K&N, BMC or any other brands can give your feedback on the product
  2. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    i would say stick with the stock air filter if u want your engine to live longer while maintaining the efficiency in long time ( indian conditions) ...
    or if u want to squeeze out sum extra power then go ahead ( if u wish to play with ur car ) .. also only air filter change won't give much changes when done alone... mix it with a tuning box or remap though ..
    rest other guru's can explain more ..
  3. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    @ linea-Lover
    but bro i am concerned about the filtering ability......
  4. I was asked by a TASS mechanic to replace the OE airfilter to K&N.
    Not sure how much it benifits but one thing he said it is a one time invesment and i dont have to spend on airfilter anymore. Each OE airfilter costs 300 Rs and i have to get it replaced atleast every 6 months, due to dusty roads here.

Also i noted that there was lot of dust/soil on the inner side of the "filter holder" when the OE filter was taken away for replacement.
  5. checked ultrarev.com

airfilter cost is 42$ but shipping is 43$ :)
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It is an established fact that K&N's filtration abilities are not among the best. Free flow at the cost of dirt getting inside will not be good in the long run.

Like every modification , if you wish to keep you car for a short while then no need for you to worry. The future owner shall have to bear the costs. If you do intend to keep the car for a long while , avoid it.

I've heard a lot of good things about UNI foam filters , but since i have not personally used it so cannot recommend it to you.

7. @Gurjinder,

to use UNI foam filter we may need to take out the resonator/air-filter box in Punto/Linea but where would we get the hose pipe to connect UNI filter to MAF senor body.

I mean we may need some thing similar to Torque 7's AIR but with out the default filter.
    I t also brings up an another question does silicone survive the heat inside the engine bay? what ever experience I have with silicone used for swimming gear is very sensitive to heat and melts away.

Torque7 folks do you have any plan to have AIR ready with UNI filters?

8. The stock filter box is made of plastic, does it melt in the engine compartment? Silicone can withstand a lot more heat than plastic for sure.

Torque 7 has currently only comparatively few AIRs on the Indian market. However, the conditions in other parts of the world are similar. All Torque 7 AIRs are designed by GSR who uses only cotton gauze materials as filtering media.. Some of the engines tuned by GSR have seen in excess of 2 lakh km without any need of re-built.

Foam filters need oiling to be as good as other filter media, which is long term a potential problem because often the filter medium disintegrates after a few years sucking in junks of dirt.