1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Airbag failure warning!!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by rajatoswal, Dec 17, 2011.

1. OnWheels

OnWheels Timido

Bangalore
    Hello Friends,

The problem with the airbag failure warning in my car was due to the faulty combination switch. The wire inside cut which could be due to rat entry which caused a short circuit and the burned the combination switch. They had to open the dashboard to locate the problem. Though I was not present at the service center to see through the process but instructed the service manager to take photos of the process which he did. The total cost of the faulty part and the labor charge came to 14K.

Thanks
  2. AndyRKett

AndyRKett Timido

United Kingdom
    Norfolk
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Many air bag faults on fiats are caused by loose wiring/poor connection in the plugs under the front seats, these carry the connections for the side impact airbags in the seats, if the lights it going on and off then this is the likely cause.

The airbag ecu does not like low voltages so a weak or old batter can cause errors but these usually leave the airbag light on constantly.

Any problems with the dashboard airbags or wiring usually require the car to be plugged into a computer to reset the errors. Obviously fiat service centres can do this for you but if you have a persistent problem then you can cheaply buy a cable and download free software to a laptop to fix or investigate the errors yourself
    prabhjot and DOT like this.
  3. DOT

DOT Timido

Bangalore
    Can you please provide which cable and free software would be useful for these kind of job.
  4. AndyRKett

AndyRKett Timido

United Kingdom
    Norfolk
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You'll need one of these http://goo.gl/Misojk vag com kkl cables to connect between laptop and ecu
    (This cable has a switch to avoid the need for adaptor cables)

And the visit http://www.multiecuscan.net to download the free software

I did a video a couple of year back on resetting airbag,warning lights, it's for the mk2b punto but it will give you the general idea of how the software works

Ravi and prabhjot like this.