1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aftermarket Alloys Discussions

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by royj, Apr 12, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
  2. Page 15 has pictures on what i did. Will post a video if required.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Please do. I am very interested and intrigued to know what is the connection between spigot rings and PCD. Also would like to know how exactly you adjusted the spigot rings with a file.

Thanks,
    Rajan

PS: My page 15 is different from the page 15 you are referring, as my number of posts per page setting is different :D. As per my setting, your thread has only 10 pages. Posting a link to the specific post, would be nice.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. In mysore very little people know about these rings and always i heard that for fiat NO alloys. Went through this thread and got some idea about installing a 100 PCD into fiat cars and the hunt started.

I had purchased alloys here in mysore but could not find a professional who knows how to install a ring, all they said to me is- go to bangalore.

Instead of going to bangalore just for the sake of rings, informed one of my friend to find these rings for me JC road, gave him the inner diameter and the outer diameter is measured using a school instrument 'divider' and 'scale' and sent the details to him. He found those rings and sent it. When i received the rings, they fitted the wheel perfectly but were a little smaller in inner diameter and could not fit them on hub.

I purchased a aluminum file here [a round type] so that i can file both the rings and the holes of the alloys if required.

Took the measurement
    The connection that i wanted to explain here is:
    Part1:
    1. The rings varies in outer diameter from different makes of alloy brands. The inner diameter is as explained by Royj 58.1
    2. Mounted the rings on the wheel and since the inner diameter was small, i filed the inner side of the ring till i could mount it on the hub.
    3. Once the rings fitted both the wheel and on the hub perfectly, started on correcting the PCD of alloys
    Part2:
    1. Get the rings installed to the alloy wheel first and then mount on the hub. This will help to identify the difference in holes of wheel and hub. This is very important because for stock wheels and alloys we can use the wheel holder on the hubs, for aftermarket alloys we have to remove the two wheel holders as they are not supported. Having the rings in the alloys helps to get the perfect difference in hole alignment of the wheel and hub.
    2. Mark the areas on the holes which needs to be 'aligned' on the wheel so that the bolt fits straight from the wheel to hub.
    3. File the holes of the alloy wheels to match the difference in hole alignment of the wheel to hub.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Ahhh. That explains what you were saying and as such there is no relation between the spigot ring and PCD.

How did you manage to file a perfect circle freehand? Even a small gap in some part of the ring can cause wheel vibrations.

Would that not result in a slightly elongated hole in the alloy and add to the play for the wheels to vibrate?

While I do agree that what you did was creative, I really would not recommend this process. The hub, PCD, spigot rings are critical components and require high accuracy to perform optimally. Altering that free hand is a big risk, IMHO.

Rajan
  6. How did you manage to file a perfect circle freehand? Even a small gap in some part of the ring can cause wheel vibrations.

Forgot to mention that i used a metal sandpaper after filing the rings, it is near perfect and is good enough jugaad.

It does result in a very little elongated hole, however i dont see any issues with it. Most of the after market alloys have varying hole size, some are so big that you don't have to file the holes and the bolt fit straight on 98 PCD hub.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    That's right. It is explained here
    The only issue is there will be an asymmetrical force on the bolt head if normal bolts are used as it rests pressed to the wall on one side and a slight gap on the opposite side. Using a wobbly bolt head reduces this stress.
  8. Haa! finally our Guru is here :). Royj do you see any critical issues with my attempt?
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    The only thing you can get away with doing is filing the rings to make a perfect fit. (It might be questionable but only a very small variation of .5mm or 1mm) would not be a big enough gap to cause major issue. (I found that out through my previous rings).
    It is definitely not safe or even acceptable to file the alloy lugs.
    Hopefully there is nothing that will happen. But please ensure that there is nothing wrong in what you've done