1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Aftermarket Alloys Discussions

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by royj, Apr 12, 2011.

1. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    17 Incher's Four Option or else i need to go for 16 inch
    2945.jpg 3023.jpg 3304.jpg oz_quaranta_all_8hx244qm.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. BarneyX

BarneyX

Kolkata
    I have got a quote from Sai Mag Wheels regarding their HRS 98+100 PCD alloys for my Punto (Model H480) as 26k for a set of 5. This is for delivery in Kolkata, with all prices (tax, shipping) included. Is this a good deal? Further, are there any differences between HRS and Plati? I am told that the Plati wheels are China made, whereas HRS are Taiwanese, which makes them better that the Plati ones. Any inputs will be very much welcome. :)
  3. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    HRS any day..
  4. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I will be ordering these from Sai Mag Wheels this week. These are 15" 98 PCD.

417-417-design4.jpg

My question is, should I upgrade the tyres or 195/60 will look fine on these and do I need to use any kind of rings?? I travel a lot on highways will be doing Hyderabad-Delhi-Hyderabad this month. That's why I want smooth ride on highways, no vibrations or wobbling.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  5. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Aviator,

How much you are paying for the same???Even am running on same alloys from past one year.
  6. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Whats the damage to the wallet, even I am thinking of this now...

Not an expert on this but I believe spigot rings would be needed, again not sure... Italia-Linea could probably clarify..
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    rings are required for all 4 wheels and spigot rings are for wheels, in turn for hubs so where ever there is a hub there should be a ring!!
  9. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

They quoted me Rs.4500 per wheel including shipping to Hyderabad.

They are also giving one year warranty against structural failure and defects in material and workmanship under normal and intended use.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    +100 to that. theblack is absolutely right.

A bit of knowledge sharing. All OEM Wheels are designed to be hub-centric. The manufacturer designs an OEM wheel to fit on a certain car or range of cars. The centre-bore of the wheel is sized to fit perfectly onto the axle of that car. This is a hub-centric connection, as the wheel is centered by it's connection to the axle hub. If you have looked at steel rims, you would have noticed that they have 2 smaller holes and matching pins are mounted on the hub. This is used to align the wheel, when fixing it.

The lug bolts hold the wheel firmly to the mounting plate, but it is the wheel-to-axle connection that actually holds the weight of the car. This is quite an important distinction, as the lug bolts are designed to handle lateral forces that push the wheel away from the mounting plate, like taking a corner at high speeds. The forces that the hub and centre bore connection are designed to withstand – the weight of the car forcing downward and impacts forcing upward – are at right angles to the forces that the lug bolts are designed for.

Hub diameter is therefore an extremely important consideration when fitting new wheels, especially after market alloys. If the hub diameter is smaller than the axle, the wheel will obviously not fit. Therefore, most after market wheels are made with larger hub diameters to ensure that they will fit on a wide range of cars. This means that when the wheel is installed, there will most likely be a space between the axle and the hub instead of a firm contact. The wheel is therefore lug-centric, as the wheel is centred by the lugs rather than by the hub.

Driving on lug-centric wheels means that any impact will apply shear force to the lug studs, forces at 90 degrees to those the studs are designed to handle. This can cause the lug studs to bend, leading to a vibration in the car and possibly damage the wheel's centre bore if it has enough play to contact the axle. To prevent this kind of thing, after market wheels will usually need hub-centric spacers, or Spigot rings, making a lug-centric fitment into a hub-centric one. The specifications are simple. The ring should have an inner diameter equal to the hub / axle diameter and the outer diameter should be equal to the inner diameter of the after market wheel's centre bore.

It is therefore very important to have spigot rings on all four wheels.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    5 people like this.