1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Afterburner for the T-Jet.

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by Linea-Lover, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I have been driving around in the T-Jet for quite some time now, read 4.8k kms, and the turbo lag in it is just killing me. I have been driving Normally Aspirated (NA) engines for the past 14 years and am used to the low end torque and effortless driving. At times its a bit scary when you are at a signal and the guy in front pulls off and you struggle till the turbo kicks in. The one behind you starts honking like a maniac. Then suddenly there is this surge of power and the car starts flying and you look up front to find that the fellow just braked. Its damn painful. I had to get rid of this, not the car but the turbo lag.

If I come to highway drives, its again the same story. You're cruising at 80 kmph and feel like overtaking a car which is doing 81 in front of you. The engine is revving at a tad under 2k rpm. The turbo comes to full life at around 2250. The solution is to keep the car cruising at 100kmph so that the turbo is available to help you as and when required but that is not possible all the time.

UGH, I miss my OHC. But the way the T-Jet handles and corners is just brilliant. Its so confidence inspiring, the ride is absolutely smooth.... blah blah blah, which everyone knows by now. The solution to the problem is to rectify the low end torque of the car so that it aids moving in slow traffic and on highways you have sufficient power in any rev band.

Here I contacted Peter a.k.a drifter with whom I have now partnered with for his products in India and he was kind enough to hand it to me to test. One of the item included was an AIR for the T-Jet. I wanted to get the 5k km check up done and then go in for the AIR. So, after getting the check up done I took the AIR to the local mechanic and got it fitted. It took about an hour for the whole job, removing the old one and fitting the new one.

So now, the AIR is in place and the stock one has been thrown out :p .

Initial driving experience, performance figures and photos coming up tomorrow .
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I never thought that there would be any turbo lag in petrol !! :O . (as i havent driven a t jet yet !!)
    And i actually didnt get what you did to your jet from the above post.. what is AIR, afterburner ?! I thoroughly enjoy reading the posts of peter on TFi and other forums, with a view to enrich my knowledge on these subjects! Please enlighten us, both you guys ! :)
  3. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    The best possible way is downshift! :)
    Rev Happy Turbo likes this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Interesting. Looking forward to your review.

I'd say remap it as well.
  5. obliex

obliex Amatore

Pune
    But won't that affect your turbo negatively. I mean if I get it right the afterburner sends some fuel to turbo and burns it there to keep it spooling during gear shifts.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    No no. Afterburner is just what he has ''termed'' his performance upgrade. Since he owns a Jet. :)

The AIR is Air Intake Revision, a custom air intake designed to help the engine breathe better.

Gurjinder
  7. Whenever there is a turbo fitted to the car there tends to be a turbo lag. The engine needs to reach to a particular rpm, depending upon the turbo design, to spool and and get it rotating. So, whether its a diesel or petrol with a turbo, there will be some lag. Unless ofcourse its a twin turbo or quad turbo :p.

Which gear do I downshift to from first :p?

Thanks Gurjinder.

As Gurjinder just explained, its just a term I've used. I'm not gonna burn fuel in the turbo and blow it up :p.
  8. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Is it?? I don't think the turbo kicks in at 1st gear in any car..
  9. IMG_0694.jpg

Driving Experience:

If I should say it in one line, it doesn't feel like a turbocharged car anymore. In a good way. The turbo lag is barely perceptible, just barely. The engine is as smooth and responsive like any other NA car even before the turbo kicks in. The low end torque has improved drastically. I can easily traipze around the city in higher gears now just the way I used to do in my OHC. I can now easily shift to 3rd gear at speeds as low as 20kmph and the engine picks from there onwards without any strain, shudder or lugging. The turbo also kicks in quite lower and once it does, the power is just there for the asking. It just....goes!. I'm mighty impressed and happy with the way the car is behaving now. The fuel efficiency has improved too.

Mileage:
    The mid figues never hover below 11.7 kmpl, even in tight traffic conditions. I could never coax more than 11 kmpl from her before. After driving for around 130 kms in city the MID is showing a mileage of 12 kmpl.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  10. Says who? Its not gear based, its rev based.