1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Advise needed for 4k kms travel with Punto

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sam, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Guys!

I need several advises from you. I am planning a trip from Mumbai to North Gujarat (Kutch) and then probably to Rajasthan (Udaipur). One way journey from Mumbai to Gujarat will be around 900 kms on NH8. We will be probably two people driving (if other doesn’t turns up then I might consider me alone ) on my Punto MJD 75 HP. We will start early in morning say at 5 AM and try to reach by 5 PM.

This will be my first long journey, however before taking this ambitious step wanted to consult you guys and get several of my queries clarified.

Car based
    1) Is it advisable to take my Punto for such a journey?
    2) What precautions/preparations do I need to do before commencing a journey that long?
    3) What should be done in case of breakdown on highways?

Highway based

1) Have anyone else been to NH8 before? Is it safe to drive with mentioned timings?
    2) Any idea of good refueling destinations there?

Thanks!

Samir
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  2. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    sam your car can easily do such miles and much more. i had done mumbai to gujarat in my 1985 maruti 800 two years back. had started from mumbai at 6 and reached my place which is 700kms away at 6 in the night. i did not cross 80km/h. the roads in gujarat will really please you except the jams at surat. gujarat is know for its fantastic highways all the way to rajasthan. be ready to pay lots of toll.
    if you need any other help let me know.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Much more than any other hatchback in the country. You can thrash the car for long non stop journeys- the only limitation is the amount of fuel in the tank. :)

When was the last service done? If it has been 10k+ km's then get the engine oil+air filter changed before journey. The Selenia cannot handle 15k kms of driving, even though FIAT may say so. Keep 2 ltrs of Coolant ( Paraflu UP) +water premixed ( in the correct ratio) in your car just in case if you need it . A very rare chance you'll ever need it.

Keep an air pump also. I don't think you'll need anything else.

Call up the RSA. They should send you a tow vehicle.

In any case , the kilometres to be travelled aren't that high. So travel without any worries.

Cheers.
  4. niranjan_81

niranjan_81

Pune
    All the best sam.
    Even I am planning to go on a long drive(not as much as yours), mine will be Pune-Nasik-Pune trip(Around 450 KMs). Mine is a brand new car and not covered even 1000 km yet. Do give suggestions to me as well friends.
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Nothing specific buddy. Just keep varying the speeds/rpm on the highway. Do not drive at one set speed for long durations.

It is a good practice for a new engine to keep varying the rpm's.

Apart from that drive normally and don't lug the engine.

Cheers
  6. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks buddies...your advise will be of immense help for my travel experience.

@karan - How about refulling stations on that stretch? Can I get diesel refilled on any highway pump? Are they reliable enough? Or should I wait to get in some city before refuling.

@gurginder - Dude, I asked the SC guys to give me a premix of ParaFlu coolant. He bought one bottle costing 200 bucks. But that bottle had no mention of ParaFlu, it was some other brand and there was a sticker on top reading "Red Mix". He told me this is what they use to top up Fiat cars. Should I buy that?
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @Niranjan we just had TFI meet at Malshej Ghat & the place is just 30 kms from Pune Nashik Highway towards Kalyan.

You have crowdy 4 lane road till Narayangoan after that there is 2 lane road with lots of patches and pathholes. Be careful white driving. I travelled by that road 4-5 times on bike as well as by car.

Avoid night driving on this highway.
  8. niranjan_81

niranjan_81

Pune
    Thanks Kedar. We are planning to start at 5:00 in the morning. So will have less traffic on the roads. While coming back we plan to start at around 1:00 PM next day from Nasik and probably will reach pune around 6:00-6:30 PM. Is this plan ok?
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Perfect Niranjan. Then there wont be any problem.

At Chakan MIDC you will suffer from Traffic at 6-6:30PM while coming back to Pune.
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    I've never had to top up coolant till date. So can't say, but it doesn't seem genuine.

Can other members describe in which packing/bottle this Paraflu UP coolant comes? A pic would be great