1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Advisable speed limit for a new Punto

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Karan, May 7, 2016.

1. Karan

Karan Novizio

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi friends, I got my Punto evo 1.3MJD 2 weeks back and it has ran close to 500km till date and all those were city drives. This week I am planning to go for a long trip. So I need your advise about the speed limits for a new Punto. I thought of not exceeding beyond 90km/hr.

Why I am asking this is because few say not to rev much during the initial days and few others say that if I don't rev much during the initial days, then the engine would set with that much level and it doesn't open much after that.(Pardon me if this is a silly question.)

Your advise on this could help me.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    More than the speed, keep an eye on the RPM. I would advice to accelerate gradually and not cross 3k RPMs in any gear. You can set up a speed limit of 100-120 km/hr if you want to keep you in check.
    5th gear @ 3000 RPM = 120 km/hr
    5th gear @2500 RPM = 100 km/hr
    Karan likes this.
  3. zam123

zam123 Novizio

bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    for the first 2500 Kms , keep rpms below 2500. Yes, it can be a little frustrating.

More importantly, you need to vary the rpms when you drive. Don't drive at a constant rpm.
    Karan likes this.
  4. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    agreed below 2500 rpm or if you want good milage dont let the turbo kick change at 1800-2000 rpm. While after 1800 the turbo kicks but you go upto 2000 and change.
    Karan likes this.
  5. Sachin patel

Sachin patel Amatore

Vadodara
    Vadodara
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I was thinking same way after purchasing evo 1.3 mjd on 11th march but first 1000 km done with below 3k rpm and asked to head mecanic of baroda bhaskara and he told no need to worry about new engine.

As par him just don't push suddenly for high rpm , you can go up to your limit but slowly increase speed.
    After that my current odometer says 3800+ till date and drive up to 160kmph for few times on Vadodara Ahmedabad express way and regular speed otherwise between 100-130 on good nh8 and 50-100 depending on rural roads with all time ac still average fuel economy is always between 18.7 to 19.9 .

If anyone have better way to drive up to 5000 km please inform so i can change my driving style...

And sorry for bed English...
    Karan likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It is good idea to change engine oil filter @about 1000kms for a new engine. Some people even change oil. No, manufacturer does not suggest anything of the sort. And also burn-in is also thought of as unnecessary by some due to advancements in materials and processes of engine manufacturing. But always good to not revv it hard for reasons of engine health and fuel efficiency.

I am personally very convinced about engine oil additive like STP for example for diesel. But some will argue that's unnecessary. So how much you want to care depends on you. Yes there will be countless people who will also suggest that running/servicing as per manufacturer suggestions has yielded well for them, and that cannot be argued either. Except for those unlucky to have early turbo failures or engine oil consumption issues coupled with compression loss. Unfortunately data or statistics and reasons in many cases remains a grey area. So while extra precaution is good overdoing it can also be detrimental at times.

Keep a light foot and most importantly shift gears in time. MJD feels happier in 3-4th and in overdrive watch the engine noise and remove foot off accelerator at 100-110kmph.

Best of luck.
    Karan likes this.
  7. Sachin patel

Sachin patel Amatore

Vadodara
    Vadodara
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Should i change oil filter in first 5000 km service with oil topup or change of filter and oil on 7500 and then 15k ,23.5 k and 30k for better engine health?

I can use fuel additives in new engine?
    Is it safe to rev up to 150kmph on 2months and 3500km old engine?
    Should I killing engine by my some what fast driving style?
    To be honest i am love to drive above 100 but never ever sudden accelerate and zic zek type drive. I always increase speed slowly and always try to drive my car on continues rpm and stick to same like auto drive like 2.5 k or whatever rpm it may be , form that I get some good fuel economy in my provirus petrol cars and in mjd also.

Please give your valuable opinion...
  8. Karan

Karan Novizio

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions. I will maintain below 3k RPM at every gear.
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Sachin,
    All the questions are kind of answered in this thread already :). You can change the engine oil at 5K incase you wish to. This is a debatable topic however you can choose to take additional precaution (out of the manufacturer recommendation).
    Kindly check the thread below for extensive discussions on the run in period.
    http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/run-in-period-for-fiat-engines.1598/

@Karan, as this is a duplicate thread, I would request you to pass a message to the mods to merge this with above thread and continue the discussions there.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    GANESH H likes this.
  10. Karan

Karan Novizio

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks @PradeepM

@mods could you please merge this thread with the run in period thread. Sorry for creating a duplicate thread.
    PradeepM likes this.