1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Advice Needed: Srinagar in Mid-Feb (Via Road)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by metal_heart, Jan 8, 2016.

1. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Hi All,

We (me & my wife) are looking to visit Srinagar, Gulmarg, Pahalgaam etc during mid-Feb 2016 (Valentine week), for 4-5 days. Need assistance from forum member(s) if they can share their experience & views.

1. Is it possible to do this trip via Road (Delhi-Srinagar-Delhi). I don't have issue in driving, but i'm more concerend about road condition(s) due to snow / land slides

2. I'm pretty experienced in driving, and have a Linea. Would it be feasible to drive it there. (in Feb)

3. If not by road, I would be taking DELHI-SRINAGAR flight; but would anyways need taxi/cab there? How easy/difficult would it be during Feb

4. How is Feb month to explore these places. What would be ideal spots to visit. I believe almost everything would be covered in snow

5. I have read, that this being off-season; hotels accommodation should not be an issue. Should I pre-book hotels (say via Goibibo) or just walk into hotel.

6. What would be cheaper, considering Goibibo generally runs 50% discount

7. What should be first & last destination to stay (If I take flight); considering it should be easily commutable from airport

8. Suggestion on route, hotels, tourist point are also requested
  2. AVS10

AVS10 Timido

Delhi NCR
    Delhi NCR
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Great thought metal_heart. Hope you excise all caution to the wonderful time ahead.
    I just did a 4500 kms round trip from Delhi to Hubli ( about 400 kms beyond Pune) with my better half. It was a thorough fun.
    I am also looking forward to doing this terrain sometime later.
    Looking forward to inputs from experienced forum members.
    Rama likes this.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Have made the below rough plans. Yet lot of things are to be sorted out, but have started progressing.

Day 1 (Saturday):
    Plan to leave early morning (5 - 6 AM)
    Noida - Delhi - Karnal - Ambala - Ludhiana - Jallandhar - Pathnakot - Jammu - Udhampur - Patnitop
    Night Stay @ Patnitop

Hotel Recommendations???
    Any other stop over for night stay?

Day 2 (Sunday):
    Patnitop - Pahalgam (approx 5 hr drive)
    Route Advice ???

Night Stay at Pahalgam
    Hotel Recommmendation?

Day 3 (Monday):
    Visit Betaab Valley, Aru Valley
    Drive to Srinagar
    Hotel/House Boat Recommendation?
    Night Stay Srinagar

Day 4 (Tuesday):
    Sankracharya Temple
    Dal Lake
    Mughal Garden / Tulip Garden
    Jama Masjid

Any other key spot (Ideal to visit in Mid-Feb)?
    Sequence to visit th
    em ?

Day 5 (Wednesday)
    Day Trip to Gulmarg
    Should I make day trip or Stay over night ?
    - Gandola Ride

Day 6 (Thursday)
    Drive to Sonmarg
    Would the road be safe (During Feb) to drive till Sonmarg?

Night Stay S0nmarg.

Day 7 & 8 (Friday , Saturday)
    Drive Sonmarg -> Delhi
    What should be stop over place for night break?? (say I plan to drive for 12 hrs, including food breaks)

Day 9 (Sunday)
    Sleep, Eat, Get the Car Washed, Sleep

I'm yet to finalize the hotel(s), any recommendation are invited.
    Also, please suggest any change in itenary.
    Any places to include or avoid. Any precaution(s)/care to take?

If you guys can also help with FNG/FASS details of that region (Hope I never need them). It would be handy (just in case)
    Any members from valley???

Thanks in Advance
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 16, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 16, 2016 ---
    Any rule(s) should I be specifically be precautionary of especially in Kashmir valley.

As I bought a Pre-Worshiped Linea, its still isnt on my name. Though I have the original RC and all other documents are complete.
    Should I be worried about it?
    I was earlier planning to initiate transfer process this month, but didn't go ahead; as wasn't sure if it would be completed by then (and importantly, I would have to submit original RC with RTO)
  5. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    @metal_heart First of all if you're an experienced driver and you like driving then you should go to Kashmir in your own car as you would love the driving experience and would not have to face the expensive taxi/cab rates.
    Driving to Srinagar shouldn't be an issue, except a few traffic jams on the Srinagar-Jammu highway sometimes but it's nothing extreme, just confirm about any highway blockage or any weather related issues before leaving from Jammu.
    Also visit Pari Mahal in Srinagar, Kud on Jammu-Srinagar highway (famous sweets shop Prem Di Hatti, just find the original shop as many shops have copied the name, you can google to see the picture of the authentic shop or let me do that for you, try milk barfi and patisa for sure), try Rajma-Rice at Peedha, it's close to Kud.
    Stay overnight in Gulmarg. While returning from Sonmarg to Delhi(home) you might need a proper overnight stop at Patnitop or Jammu.
    Also try pre-booking the hotels on goibibo, check the reviews, I don't know what kinda hotels you are looking for otherwise I would suggest a few.
    Let me know if I missed answering anything, I'm busy traveling in Tampa-Florida right now.

P.S Linea should be perfect with high ground clearance.

6. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Yeah, I do enjoy driving and that's one of the reason I want to drive there. Another concern is, if any taxi mafia is causing trouble to out station cars (Like they did in LEH last year; and some news in Srinagar/Gulmarg area aswell).
    Thanks. That the kind of information/tip i'm looking for. Will Surely try to locate 'Prem Di Hatti' (and thanks for the picutre)
    Oh Really, I was speculating crossing Pathankot/Ludhiana on last day travel. (Guess, the traffic condition/Jam would play a major role then.
    In terms of hotel, my only preference is clean & tidy hotel, with all basic amenities in neat condition (linen, bathroom, blanket etc). I'm not yet sure about goibibo vs walk-in; which would work out cheaper (considering it's off season)

Hasn't a strom struck FL lately. I hope, it hasn't affected your trip
    My car does have GC kit installed. Scrapping is the last thing i'm worried, as have read road conditions are mostly decent (except few patches). I"m more worried about cold starts and driving (if it snows suddenly) and any break down(s) (Though have got the complete service done recently)
  7. KPR

KPR Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @metal_heart Why not opt HVK CHD for your this trip to be on safer side? Just my opinion.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @metal_heart for accomodation I would suggest you to get in touch HVK central Hotel desk which will arrange the accomodation for you throughout the route.

Buy India501 plan from HVK Store and be assured for great road trip. We just need to drive car rest will be taken care by HVK CHD.

Google HVK Store and you will get all the required information.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 18, 2016 ---
    @KPR hahaha telepathy. I think we were typing the same thing at the same time.
    KPR likes this.
  9. KPR

KPR Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @kedarbendre ha ha!! Any idea on the Mughal road from Jammu to Srinagar? Have you considered that route during your recent Leh circuit?
  10. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the suggestion. Wasn't aware of HVK. Will read about it for sure.