1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Advice needed - Inverters

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ramjn, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am planning to get inverter for my home. I would be happy if I get suggestions from you guys on the brand, or Battery to look for. I came to know that the battery component is what is pricy in the inverter setup.

Suggestions please.
  2. Ramesh , I am using one at home for last one year ..
    Exide Industrial battery . Hard to get . But if you get one IMHO , that is the best option . Total setup cost me ~ 20K
    Dont remember about the capacity . Can give the details once I reach home ..

Ajit
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Ajit, would wait for your updates. I too inclined towards the Exide Battery only. But, don't know where to get it in Chennai.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi ramjn,
    I am using inverter from last 4 years.
    I am having invetor of SuKam power invertor.
    working for TV, Home theater, Washing machine & lights- fans for 8 rooms.
    also getting a backup for almost 18 hours.

I have used batteries from a local vendor who gave me a replacement warranty for 3 three.
    The overall cost 28K

Only you have to check batteries after 6 months for water level.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I've APC Pure Sine Wave along with Amaron Maintenance free battery. The battery is 160 AH and the UPS 850 VA, can operate for 4-8 hours depending upon the load. Costed close to 15K inclusive of additional wiring since my home wasn't completely UPS ready. Let me know and I'll take you to the guy who installed it for me.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If you want fast recharge then Microwave is the "Baap of the Bapps" of all inverter.
    But because of fast recharge there is little bit more water loss as compared to others.
    But if are getting fast recharge then little bit more water loss can be compensate.

You might have observed in rural area people uses Microwave only because of its fast recharge

IMO Microwave is VFM. For battery don't go for local vendor. Go for Exide Inverter Plus of 180 OR 200 Ah.

If you want average back-up then not necessary to go for expensive tubular battery.

Regualar exide Inverter Plus specially made for inverter of 180 or 200 Ah is sufficient.

I am using Exide Inverter Plus of 200 Ah from last 6 years with excellent back-up. In my city 4 hours load-shedding is there.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    What sort of a backup are you looking at? Also, how much "cuts" does your area experience on a regular basis during summers?

I'll just list my experience with them -

Battery - I have had good experience with Exide Inva Tubular IT500. One of these is serving here at home, and another 5 at a Paying Guest accomodation that we operate. No issues with them ever, and great backup. Cost -: 11K+

Inverter - We had the inverters made locally and they are working well, no issues. We also have a Luminous one , and that works fine no issues.

So,
    Battery - I'd say go for the Exide IT500/550 ; we may not always need the extra capacity everyday - But when we do, the battery will be there to take care of it.
    Inverter - Any well known brand compatible with the above battery.

Cheers.

EDIT - Avoid too-fast charging inverters. They'll harm the battery in the long run.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Most of the points have already been covered.

1. Pure Sine Wave invertor: Go in for a pure sine wave invertor (most invertors are of this category). This ensures that TVs, PCs, audio systems work without being harmed. I have a Luminous sine wave invertor along with Exide tubular battery.

2. Battery: You should go in for a tubular battery as the water has to be refilled only once in 6 months. For cheaper ones, you shall have to refill on a quarterly basis atleast. Also, the life and warranty of tubular batteries is better than other batteries

3. Number of batteries: if your load is average and not all rooms need simulatneous electricity then a single battery should be good enough.
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for all the input guys. What I am able to summarize is that Exide is the best suited battery.

Currently, I am facing one hour outage everyday at my home. I am expecting that this will increase to around 3 hrs a day. I wanted to use one TV, 2/3 Lights and 2 fans at the maximum.
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Go for exide and match the AH properly. Also go "for inverter" battery alone. Others are compatible, but does not last longer. However, what ever the battery you buy it will die in the next two / three months after the manufacturer's replacement warranty expires. So see how much "replacement warranty" each manufacturer provide and decide.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012