1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Advice needed in buying Punto evo diesel

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by renga435, Dec 10, 2014.

1. renga435

renga435 Timido

Trichy
    Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hello All,

I joined teamfiat recently. Currently i am looking to upgrade my Wagon R. I did test drive few diesel hatchbacks and sedans with in the budget of 9L. Finally i have shortlisted Elite i20 asta and Punto Evo emotion. I like the smoothness,noise insulation and the torque in Elite i20. on the other side i loved the build quality and handling of Punto Evo. Comparing Punto evo with i20, i felt Punto is less plush and bit less powered in city driving(May be the weight factor of the vehicle). on the other side i felt Punto is nice to handle and it ignores the potholes well.

On the cost front i see an edge in Punto and good value for money. I am getting a nice handling vehicle. But i need to adapt to the engine response. I have few doubts which i need to clarify before i make the purchase decision.

1) 70% of my drive will be in Chennai city traffic and 30% in highways. So whether Punto evo emotion is sufficient for my driving pattern or do i need to consider 90hp/avventura?

2) I have read few niggles like turbo loss,drag from right-left, etc in the TFI forum. I am bit concerned about the issues and service levels(Luckily I have never went to the service station once apart from regular services in my 6 years of ownership with Wagon R). So whether the probability of issues poping up is more with Fiat cars? How about the service costs and service quality in chennai (I stay close to Ramkey Fiat service station)

Please help me out.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @renga435

Can understand your dilemma. As a Punto owner I will be inclined to recommend the Evo but logically Punto does score over i20 in the ride and handling department. Add to that yearly service intervals, 5 yr warranty with a strong build quality and Punto stands out. Looking at your usage, you can opt for 75HP Evo rather than the 90 HP or Avventura.

Since you have driven both the cars, take an informed decision. Glitzy cars are not always the best.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can enjoy 90hp or Avventura more on highway runs. If budget permits Avventura will be a good choice today.

Check your regular service bills and see the items changed on Wagon R. Compare those with things mentioned on TFI. A lot will also depend on your usage manners and patterns. The cars are heavier so suspension needs more work than the regular lighter vehicles like Wagon R. So expect some more wear and tear, but nothing too much as far as you manage to take good preventive care of your car. Also you have the company warranty + Extended warranty which you must opt, which will insure your investment further from any unforeseen surprises for a good period of ownership.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome to TFI. On cost aspect, Punto is any day cheaper - to buy as well as to maintain. My friend almost sold his i10 due to steep service bills. Also, service intervals are longer in case of a Fiat. Good luck for the new buy
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @renga435

Hi, man, welcome.

The Evo is also, arguably, better looking, and inarguably much safer and sturdier. Do ask for a warranty and spares and ASS labour charges list from Fiat and Hyundai. Or consult Autocar's recent spare parts survey. You will find that not only does the Hyundai cost much more to buy but is definitely exorbitant and extortionate, even, in warranty and ASS charges. Remember: the Evo has a much longer 15000 km service interval. The 1.3 mjd engine is still the country's and the world's best small-capacity diesel engine.

Fiats are tough, durable and reliable. Chances are that you, like most or all here on TFi, will enjoy owning one. FASS is much improved, improving further, Fiat themselves are very responsive and fair in warranty claims etc, and Chennai has a good reputation as a place to own these beautiful, characterful yet inexpensive Italian cars.

TD them further if you have doubts. The engine frees up a lot over time, and even the low-end lag you might feel will not be noticed once you get used to its torque curve/gearing. The 75 hp Emotion sounds like the ideal one for your needs.

cheers, man
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.