1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Advice needed... abarth avventura or Suzuki brezza

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Deepak Pathania, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Deepak Pathania

Deepak Pathania Novizio

Pune
    Avventura Abarth
    Well, this is my first post so kindly excuse if i post in the wrong section, Mods, Kindly move to the appropriate section.
    Well, My background first. Myself, Deepak from pune. I currently own a palio 1.2 that i got second hand 4 years ago with the intention to get rid of it as soon as i was capable enough to get a new one. Needless to stay, I have been happily stuck to the car ever since. I have fallen in love with the highway characteristics of the car and the tank like build. I have done numerous trips on the car, longest being to Daman from pune, and most of them being 600 kms round trips to nearby places. In fact i have started loving to drive cars. I do occasionally get my hands on the ritz and sometimes the polo. But in terms of driving i still somehow always have the palio at the back of my mind.
    Off Late, i have been having a couple of niggles and the A.S.S of fiat hasnt been of much help. however, the mechanics and 99 rpm have kept the palio alive. but i dont know how long the palio will be able to handle the abuse, hence comes the need for a new car.
    Now the only cars that i have considered is the brezza and the abarth avventura. Since the car will mostly be driven by my wifey (except on long drives), She has a considerable say in the buying. Below are the points that I see as advantages and disadvantages of the respective cars.
    for a start the brezza..
    Positives
    1 maruti peace of mind
    2 Fuel economy of the diesel engine (its a fiat 1.3 MJD still it gives better efficiency than a fiat car)
    3 Can easily sell off if i get a better option in coming years
    4 rear seat armrests (wifey considers this as a deal breaker, i dont care at all about this)
    5 driver side arm rests (again important only for wifey)
    6 Projector headlamps, Cruise controll and host of other utilities like decent sized bottle holders and cooled glovebox for chilled drinks on long drives.
    negetives
    1 from many user reviews, i have read that the engine is tuned for efficiency upto 100 kmph only. at 120 kmph constant speed, the efficiency is about 14 kmpl. now, most of the time, my cruising speeds are more than 120 kmph on the palio and i already get about 14 kmpl on highways at that speeds so it doesnt make sense if i will get similar efficiency from the brezza. yes, cost of diesel is lower but its NVH is considerably higher @120.
    2 light build quality that is the forte of Suzukis
    3 steering too lwitchy at 120 kmph
    4 Long waiting period (matters to wife, not me)
    5 on the way to becoming the next swift - in some time, this will the mango car :p

Now i come to the Avventura Abarth
    Positives
    1 Engine
    2 Engine
    3 Its a perfect sleeper. unassuming looks and terrific performance
    4 Abarth Exclusivity (i am sure no more than a 100 cars will be sold with the abarth badging)
    5 Cute interiors
    6 I love the way it looks (so does my wifey. in fact she also liked the palio for its look and feel)
    7 Stability, i test drove the punto abarth and during the test drive, i had to slam the brakes hard to avoid a jaywalking pedestrian, and the car was so stable and stopped in a line. I was bowled over by the stopping power and stability. thats what i really need if i need to brake from 120 kmph.
    8 it can take corners at speeds that can be only dreamt of in the brezza
    9 ground clearence (not that i need it but i would love to have extra)
    10 having owned a fiat, maintenance costs arent high, also, 99 rpm helps the same.
    11 tank like build quality

negatives
    1 Useless A.S.S
    2 No guarantee if fiat will support for the next 10 years on a model which will sell less than 100 units in total.
    3 Running costs are approx 50 % higher if compared to brezza
    4 no arm rests, useless bottle storage cabinets and missing cooled glove box (but none of these are deal breakers.
    5 No review of a avventura abarth anywhere on the forum or on the net so this is going to be a blind date. if its good, i will be grinning, else, i am stuck with a car for the next 10 years.

Basically to sum it up, Its a mind vs Heart game. Mind says to go with the brezza, heart defies everything and pushes me daily to put the booking amount.
    I know that the brezza will be lot more practical car with its larger boot and better efficiency but avventura is where my heart lies. If i get the avventura, i will never sell it. but somehow brezza unsettles the decision
    could you guys please guide what should i do.

2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    You have summed up all the points more or less.

Abarth Avventura has no competition. If you are getting the Brezza into contention then get Avventura diesel into picture as both have the same diesel engine.

From what I know the 1.3 in Brezza and S-Cross is tuned for better city drivability which makes the performance dull at 120+ speeds. Whereas Fiat 90 HPs deliver great performance at those speeds.

All in all of you are even thinking of the Abarth, it's literally a no-brainer as again it doesn't have any competition. You get power and the high gc practicality that simply isn't available in the market.

cassini and prabhjot like this.
  3. Deepak Pathania

Deepak Pathania Novizio

Pune
    Avventura Abarth
    @Turbothingy , my only worry about the Avventura abarth is the support that i will recieve from fiat A.S.S. I dont intend to service the car from the A.S.S because I have heard some bad reviews. Since you too are from pune, please do post the review of the A.S.S.
    Currently for the palio, my mech knows all and so for any major issue, he is the only person the car goes to. furthermore since i love getting my hands dirty, most minor issues are sorted out myself. However, with the growing use of electronics and lowering serviceability of the components, i doubt if i will be able to work on the avventura myself.
    even fiat isnt keen on opening another service center so that is where my concern is.
    I have not even considered the diesel version since its the Abarth that both the mind and heart agree with if i chose FIAT only.
    I never thought that maruti service support would turn out to be such a big factor in purchase. If brezza had the stability and decent milage @120kmph, i would maybe never opt for abarth.

Also, one more thing that works in the abarth favour is my regret when i brought my bike. I got a 150 cc Hero honda hunk thinking that karizma would be costlier in running. However, later during group tours, i realised that the milage for the hunk is lower than that of karizma if i maintain 90+ speeds. and it does take a huge toll on the engine too. so by the same analogy i would rather get a Abarth and use it sedately rather than get a sedate car and try extracting performance.

My confusion is just growing..:banghead:

cassini likes this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Bro, I don't know about Fiat's plan and don't want to speculate. Pune still has 2 service stations and I don't see both of them closing any soon. In fact the RS Wagholi FASS has just opened recently and the Sky Akurdi gets the work done. Even if/when Fiat packs up their bags then also I feel that they would continue providing the service, maybe with Jeep.

If I were you I would go with the Abarth. It's the best Fiat has ever provided. Also there are few Abarths in Pune and they have their dedicated group and drives.

5. bibin

bibin Regolare

abarth will turn heads and go for the heart buddy....because we should care about driving pleasure.

6. Sujit508

Sujit508 Regolare

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The Suzuki's are easy be it driving, servicing, re-selling. The Fiats are very satisfying to drive, delightful on long journeys.
    You will regret buying the brezza everytime you see a fiat on road. I am not aware of how easy the abarth would be to service and troubleshoot without A.S.S but the 1.3 MJD is national engine and been here since 10 years. so is much easier if you find a FNG to do the works.

Did you check Urban Cross and its pricing ?

7. Deepak Pathania

Deepak Pathania Novizio

Pune
    Avventura Abarth
    How is your experience with the Sky akurdi / RS wagholi?

Yes that is exactly why i dont let go of the palio and I had a chance to drive a punto for around 250 kms with my friend's car and I loved the feel and stability at higher speeds. Its better than the palio.
    I did check the Urban cross but Frankly, the rear tyre enhances the look of the vehical (basically thats what my wife loves in the avventura). we did have plans for the Ecosport for the same reason, but my wife's cousin sister's husband owns the ecosport so it is ruled out :smuggrin:.

8. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    If your "better" half is going drive the car most of the time then it is "better" that you consider her opinion for "better" peace of mind (on both the fronts, car and home) in future. :)

dheep_pk likes this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Deepak Pathania

Your dilemma is like choosing between a Reynolds and a Cartier pen. Now you equate the cars to whichever you want.

I was told in my childhood - Try to be the big fish in the small pond instead of small fish in the big pond.

Hope you get the hint.

dheep_pk likes this.
  10. Deepak Pathania

Deepak Pathania Novizio

Pune
    Avventura Abarth
    he he. she likes both the cars and has no problem whatsoever with any of the two. thats why i have a choice and i am spoilt for it, i guess
    Hmm.. the only issue with me is that maybe i want an assurance that after having the Cartier, I will never regret not going for practicality.

I had test driven the Punto abarth and it plastered a wide on my face.
    for me Avventura is like a toy that a child wants. for the child, its useless to argue against it.
    but the brezza is the practical and cost effective option that a dad would want him to get (along with a couple of freebies which the child wants too). thats where the dilemma lies.