1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adidtives for Fuel and Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by avnsiva, Dec 13, 2015.

1. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I changed engine oil Helix 5W40 last Friday and did a trip to my native and felt that the engine noise level is lower than usual. I need to check the same in next long drive and let you know.

Helix 5W40 costed me about 5,140/- rupees and the cost is more than double compared to usual Selenia, the question remains as is it worth? Hope to get an answer in a month or two.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Often times the logic that company engineers have tested on specific oil and recommend after extensive testing is inadequate. Atleast to me. Additives for the most part create minor improvements or no improvements or major improvements depending on individual engine or other systems health. There is a huge factor of human perception as well. So additives like stp or other major brands as per one study have given a resultant loss of performance of 2% for fuel additive use whereas the engine oil additives have given smoother results since any better viscous material that reduces frictional losses can be 'felt'. But also there are the "snake oil" variety of products that make tall claims and deliver nothing. I personally have seen clear improvements for diesel old and new gen engines and might choose tappet helping and zddp or mos2 based additives in future too. In most cases protective sacrificial material like zddp help deterioration and also at times fix smoke or leaks depending on applications or claims. Do note the use when it merits and how much since there are always side effects if not understood well the issues associated with a specific product type.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Never used additives in my car.....a good highway run at high rpm should clean the system. Also fill fuel from trusted pump only....adultration is also major cause of loosing power.
  4. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    asimpleson likes this.
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I have finalized to utilize Pro 10 Oil Booster and Abro Premium Oil Treatment along with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Mobil 1 Delvac Full Synth for my MJD engine that has run 36.5k on odometer.

This combination has worked well in CRDI engines like mHAWK and Hyundai's diesel rocket the 1.6 CRDi.

One query i am unable to get clarified is whether, Will the oil treatment additive have any ill effects in the oil cooler and oil evaporator condenser which the MJD is equipped with ?

download.jpg

e30.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    As we are aware this is debate that varies from case to case and my decision to opt for this is by people who have experienced these products in their rides and drives and are seeing results.

Results to the extent of better drive ability, smoother top end revs, quieter cold starts, and less carbon soot in oil.

Super bikes such as R6 and R1 have seen results on these, when a super bike that is technically so complex and that has highest rpm and power generating platform is still not showing any negative symptom, a engine like mjd is very much a ideal candidate to accept an additive of above order is my analysis.

Currently Innovas are also given this treatment and are doing good with no negative symptom, i am mentioning innovas that run in taxi segment are given the above treatment with full synth,

Please provide your expert views.
    kedarbendre likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Abro, Cyclo or STP all help, even better Liqui Moli Tappet additive for mjds or most modern diesels for that matter. All high compression ratio engines can use help by improving shear factor. So the ones you mentioned sound convincing too. Just be very careful with engine flush. In huge number of cases flush is actually not needed. The fresh oil has it's own cleaning and clinging properties.

A quick search on Boron nitride yielded in this result —
    A 14.4% improvement in the friction coefficient and a 65% decrease in the wear rate were achieved through the use of the nano hBN as an oil additive.
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Yes Asimpleson, Could you confirm if Boron Nitride is a key ingredient in the above products ? Or is it your general assumption that it will be incluided in these as additives ?
    Can you from your experience substantiate if Oil Evaporation condenser will be affected by these additives?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Boron Nitride is mentioned in the particular one you mentioned, there are multiple products of Pro10. This one does infact mention use of nano tech. Could possibly have fine diamond dust as well looking at generic data.

I doubt it should cause issues with oil condenser; why do you ask? Any specific reason?
    sriramr9 likes this.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    My doubt was only about ABRO Oil treatment contents, if you can research on that will be great, the reason why i am asking is the texture of abro is like honey, thicker considerably.

Based on its using experience people who use it says, it forms as a coating in the entire internal components and helps reduce wear as during cold starts the coated tappets may not rub directly but will rub on the abro coating there by reducing wear.

Whether this thicker nature of the abro oil treament will make a negative impact on the oil condenser such as clogging is my fear, request your help.

Next week i am going for this concoction.
    Oil vapour recirculation system

Whether this part of the engine which condenses oil back to liquid form and mixes it to the engine back, will come into picture and whether abro may play spoil sport ?

Friends using this claim abro will not burn or vaporize ?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am unaware of Abro contents, but user reviews are favourable. And based on inputs from a seller friend, it has its fixed share of regular customers. That said Amazon is offering Liqui Moly and Mitasu products. Do check them out. No idea about Mitasu but looks very interesting. OWS is another brand worth checking. Sticking to Diesel specific products within oil range is better.

Regarding oil condenser I doubt it can be clogged by these concoctions, but would recommend not mixing multiple additives. Unless some has experimented and found great results.

MITASU Engine Oil 5W-40 CI-4 Ultra Diesel Oil 100% Synthetic (4L)
    Cannot say with utmost surety, but it should not.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    sriramr9 likes this.