1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Additional power sockets in the Linea

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by PatchyBoy, Oct 4, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Somehow FIAT seems to think that one power socket will be enough. I can imagine how it would be if one has passengers, each with different models of mobile phones, a laptop, a car fridge and GPS navigator. How does one provide power to all these devices, with one measly socket?

An adapter which gives out 3 sockets might be a straight forward option, but would be ugly. I would ideally like to have two more sockets under the dash on the driver side, one under the dash on the front passenger seat, one for each passenger in the back and two sockets in the boot. This would mean wiring and fixing seven additional sockets.

This is just a thought process right now. Here are my questions:
    1. If I lay additional cables throughout the car for these sockets, with their own fuses, how do I make it switched?
    2. If all sockets were to be used simultaneously, would the battery be able to cope?
    3. If I were to add another battery in the boot and connect it in parallel to the existing one, would it work?
    4. Though it might not be the most elegant solution, would adding a manual switch be a good idea?

Please pour in your thoughts. If any member has added extra sockets in their cars, could you please post pictures. That would surely help visualizing location options. Ideally I would like the end result to look as close to OE as possible.

Thanks,

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    Have you solved this now?
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Not fully. I have installed a second power outlet inside the glove box, right next to the B&M unit. Details can be found here. I want to install one more in the boot. Comes in handy to use a car fridge and a battery operated air pump.

Will post up on the boot power supply, when I get around to finishing it. I might go for a second battery in the boot, if I upgrade ICE, but that is in the very bottom of my To Do list, under the maybe section :D. I am quite content with the OE speakers, for the kind of music I listen to - hindi oldies (Kishore & Mukesh), FM Radio and usually audio books :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    Have you come across a spike buster/junction box kind of setup for cars? That would make things easier and would love to charge mobile and laptops at the same time!

Boot power supply sounds great, will wait for it. Next time if a person in the car talks endlessly in the phone he will be greeted with "Give me your phone, let's charge it in the boot socket"
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    There are a lot of DC - AC converters available for cars. They plug right into the cigarette lighter socket and output 220 V. It would waste a lot of power and generate a lot of heat, I feel.

Rajan