Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by me_at_fiat, Mar 7, 2013.
Search the forum a bit
TFIan Satchitananda has redone the clear coat on his punto.
Wrapping the whole car with PPF will cost a bomb, may be equivalent of repainting the whole car. The PPF idea is good for the luxury cars, where even to fix a paint chip off which cost upwards of 10K bucks.
The paint sealant is more like an additional wax coating which helps in keeping the clear coat/lacquer stay intact in the harsh conditions. If the car is not washed too often at home or at any ordinary place, the shine lasts easily for a year plus. My previous car (LIVA) was a good a new even after 9 months of usage on all sorts of roads. The same goes with the Linea too. Got the paint sealant done in the first couple of days after taking delivery.
The method I follow is.
1. Wash and wax the car atleast once in a month using Meguars Tech wax.
2. Not wash the car at home, using well/borewell water.
3. Use the Jopasu/California duster to dust the car during regular use.
4. Use only microfiber cloth for any car cleaning purposes.
5. Never dry wipe the car under any circumstances.
These will help you keep the swirl marks away as far as possible.
Keeping the car clean is one thing. Keeping it shiny and scratch free is a different ball game altogether. PPF for the whole car is not worth the expense, IMHO. A fellow TFIan spent almost 1.5K, just to get the body coloured part of the wing mirror cover (was that you nkrishnap?). So you can estimate how much it might cost for the whole car.
As they say, "Remember, it is just a machine", but maybe it is just me
+100. Clean is one thing and spanky shiny car is another ball game.
Yes, it was me. I did cost me 1500 bucks.
It will indeed cost a bomb. You can as well repaint the Punto/Linea for the asking price of having PPF all over the car.
Please find the deatils on redoing the clear coat, here is the report on my car when it was done last year.
@ Sat, was waiting for your reply on clear coat :up
hope i knew it earlier , I would have definetly given it a try. I would have opted it for just my right fenders, right side front & rear doors and ofcourse the right side quarter panel!
:confused you guys must be wondering
there are two reasons-
1) cost cutting being one of the reason for the part protection since it would be damn expensive for the whole car as stated by you guys.
2) i park my vehicle on the road hence there are scratches on the entire right stretch of my car ( mostly unintentional ) due to pedesterain contact. (seems like pack of wolves were having drag race on that face (defying gravity ofcourse!)
NOTE : well the other side (left side) is spanking new!
Finally "koi toh mai ka laal saam nay aaya":up hahahaha great. let me go through the complete post. satchitananda--> brave heart :mrgreen:
@sat went through the complete post.
Results are mind blowing!!!:dance she is looking super hot!! looking even better than factory finish.
- Which clear coat did you use?
- 25K for clear coat, I am still finding it difficult to understand. I had repainted my 1.9D for 27K ( Each and every material was branded one color and clear coat was from Dupont ).
- Wherever i had asked about the complete painting they had quoted 25-30K for full paint. Be it a Pune or Mumbai. Except BUB (previous FIAT service center)
they had quoted 44k-48K. Now after 2 years I am glad that i didn't got it done from them.
- So, not able to understand what all the stuff they did in 25K??
- How its holding on these days? Do you notice any problem (touch wood) with the clear coat surface?
Last but not the least the efforts which you have put are definitely worth and appreciable!!!!:up
It 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film. Very nice product but a bit expensive as they charge per sq ft.
its available in 3M outlets in Bangalore.
Separate names with a comma.