1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding clear coat Vs. Paint protection treatments!!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by me_at_fiat, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Search the forum a bit :)

TFIan Satchitananda has redone the clear coat on his punto.
    1 person likes this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Wrapping the whole car with PPF will cost a bomb, may be equivalent of repainting the whole car. The PPF idea is good for the luxury cars, where even to fix a paint chip off which cost upwards of 10K bucks.

The paint sealant is more like an additional wax coating which helps in keeping the clear coat/lacquer stay intact in the harsh conditions. If the car is not washed too often at home or at any ordinary place, the shine lasts easily for a year plus. My previous car (LIVA) was a good a new even after 9 months of usage on all sorts of roads. The same goes with the Linea too. Got the paint sealant done in the first couple of days after taking delivery.

The method I follow is.

1. Wash and wax the car atleast once in a month using Meguars Tech wax.
    2. Not wash the car at home, using well/borewell water.
    3. Use the Jopasu/California duster to dust the car during regular use.
    4. Use only microfiber cloth for any car cleaning purposes.
    5. Never dry wipe the car under any circumstances.

These will help you keep the swirl marks away as far as possible.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Keeping the car clean is one thing. Keeping it shiny and scratch free is a different ball game altogether. PPF for the whole car is not worth the expense, IMHO. A fellow TFIan spent almost 1.5K, just to get the body coloured part of the wing mirror cover (was that you nkrishnap?). So you can estimate how much it might cost for the whole car.

As they say, "Remember, it is just a machine", but maybe it is just me :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    +100. Clean is one thing and spanky shiny car is another ball game.

Yes, it was me. I did cost me 1500 bucks. :D

It will indeed cost a bomb. You can as well repaint the Punto/Linea for the asking price of having PPF all over the car.
  5. 2 people like this.
  6. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Sat, was waiting for your reply on clear coat :up
    1 person likes this.
  7. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    hope i knew it earlier :(, I would have definetly given it a try. I would have opted it for just my right fenders, right side front & rear doors and ofcourse the right side quarter panel!

:confused you guys must be wondering ;)

there are two reasons-
    1) cost cutting being one of the reason for the part protection since it would be damn expensive for the whole car as stated by you guys.
    2) i park my vehicle on the road :( hence there are scratches on the entire right stretch of my car ( mostly unintentional ) due to pedesterain contact. (seems like pack of wolves were having drag race on that face (defying gravity ofcourse!)

NOTE : well the other side (left side) is spanking new!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
  9. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    @sat went through the complete post.
    Results are mind blowing!!!:dance she is looking super hot!! looking even better than factory finish.

few things,
    - Which clear coat did you use?
    - 25K for clear coat, I am still finding it difficult to understand. I had repainted my 1.9D for 27K ( Each and every material was branded one color and clear coat was from Dupont ).
    - Wherever i had asked about the complete painting they had quoted 25-30K for full paint. Be it a Pune or Mumbai. Except BUB (previous FIAT service center)
    they had quoted 44k-48K. Now after 2 years I am glad that i didn't got it done from them.
    - So, not able to understand what all the stuff they did in 25K??
    - How its holding on these days? Do you notice any problem (touch wood) with the clear coat surface?

Last but not the least the efforts which you have put are definitely worth and appreciable!!!!:up
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    It 3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film. Very nice product but a bit expensive as they charge per sq ft.

its available in 3M outlets in Bangalore. :)