1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding clear coat Vs. Paint protection treatments!!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by me_at_fiat, Mar 7, 2013.

1. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    After going through the various paint protection threads and information about 3M paint protection treatment (lasts up to 6 months). I have certain questions. The 3M paint protection treatment gives fabulous results but somehow i don't find it worth::pP. For cars which have done more than 2 years i think they charge some 5K approx. And in our harsh conditions this treatment is good for 6 +/- couple of months.

Now the question which i have is to protect the paint and get the shining finish while painting the car, we use the clear coat. Now, can we apply an additional clear coat on our cars? Even if we go for the best available clear coat. I dont think it will cost us anything more than 10K. But in turn the quality of protection will be all together on different levels.

I know that the clear coat should be applied with in 24hrs from painting the car. so that it binds well. But, here we wont be doing any painting to the panels. It's just that we want to add some real paint protection. Definitely we have to do the proper sanding and all to the existing clear coat. Did anyone have ever tried to do this?? :anyone

I know it's stupid question but i would definitely like to know if we can do this or not. If yes then pros and cons.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi, 3M or any other car care saloon will charge 5K for a new car which is less than 6 months old for a car more than 6 months old it will cost more, i don't know if its worth the treatment as you said we have to keep visiting every 6 months and shell out more, I am thinking of repainting the whole car a new in couple of months followed by other treatments of clear coat, there are threads discussed in detail here please have a look for yourself and decide .
  3. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    Surya, I don't want to repaint the whole car there is nothing wrong with the color. It's still in a good condition. I am asking about if we can spray/add just the clear coat?:confused: I didn't find any thread where they have discussed about just the clear coat.

Mods if i have missed something then please merge/close this thread by giving the reference of appropriate existing thread.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Well i too had given a thought over this. Why not do a clear coat itself rather than spending to much to safe-guard the clear coat itself. One painter told me that you need to scrape the clearcoat a bit with 3000/5000 no polish paper and spray a new coat.

I dint chase the idea further. If anyone can dig into it more it would be great.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Grande Punto 1.4
    I had a similar thought process as well but didn't pursue it much.
    It definitely can be given a try but none of the professionals doing the paint job will guarantee the works. There is a risk involved such as flaking/bubbling/delamination etc etc of the clear coat due to improper bonding with the base(old clear coat layer).

however one interesting thing i have frequently come across the internet but i guess this product is not yet available here locally(correct me if am wrong) .......

well its a 3m product.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    yes you are right we need to scrap the existing clear coat then we add new one. If we ask these road side mechanics or ASS they will always say no. I want someone from Paint industry who can tell us why we should/shouldn't do it.

If they mess it up while applying it we might have to face the fading/ white spots/cracking of clear coat and at the end, we might have to paint the complete car.:helmet so in all the question is who is ready to test the poison. hahahah

- - - Merged Post - - -

This product is available in India. You can get it done at any 3M shops. But, the problem with these is the cost!!! just make an inquiry and you will understand what i am taking about :evilsmile. If it's a premium car say merc/bmw etc. then they don't mind doing it.
  7. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

I think car wraps would be simple solution, one wouldn't have to both much about paint protection treatment or additional clear coats.
    I read somewhere (on TB) about one BMW 3er completely wrapped for 22k I guess, but 2 more for around 35k, yet another for 50k - all in matt orange.
  8. raj29

raj29 Superiore

@ Herbie, this paint protection film from 3M is available in all 3M stores.
    I have my Punto's bonnet covered with this paint protection film on the very next day of taking delivery of my ride. This is a good solution but a costly one.

Clear coat doesn't seem a good idea as it its not a direct applicant on the existing paint level!!
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Clearcoat cannot be applied on existing clear coat. It would not hold. You need to "key" the existing clearcoat.

One alternative is : Completely sand off the existing one and do a thicker clear coat / ceramic clear coat. The painter needs to know what he is doing to justify this. Ceramic clear coat i'm not sure is even available here or not.

Other alternative : Get the car wrapped with a clear paint protection transparent film, more commonly known as the Clear Bra.

Practically - After 6 months + of ownership, you wouldn't bother much. Really.

4 people like this.
  10. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    Gurjinder bhai it does matter :-D. I was worried about my Palio D even after she completed 10 years on the road. Now, i need to search what this ceramic clear coat is. You are spot on when you say painter should understand what exactly he is doing. Thats the reason i said any roadside denting painting shop or ASS should be avoided. As they hardly understand the seriousness behind it.

Does anyone have tried this ever?