1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding capacitors!!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by jayadev, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Thanks azeet, getting back to topic
    1. We are adding caps close to amp for the same reason so that it doesnt make sudden massive current drawings isnt it, thus saving battery life :D
    2. Not sure what makes you say so, but if you look out theoretically and practical experiences you will come to know the real results. I have seen real life benefits :D

Many 2F capacitors are available between 30-50$ range and if you watch out for deals you can surely get is very very cheap :D

I have used capacitors from 0.5 to 10F, yes 10F dont ask me what the hell we were doing with that :p

@Phew: Upgrading wires will only reduce the resistance, but it would not help at all in cutting down the load on battery to push out lot of sudden power requirements of AMP.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. viny,
    a charged cap will supply its power to connected load. but in order to get charged again it will load the same battery it is connected to. ;)
    after all, cap will take its charge from battery itself.

Many 2F capacitors are available between 30-50$ range and if you watch out for deals you can surely get is very very cheap :D

I have used capacitors from 0.5 to 10F, yes 10F dont ask me what the hell we were doing with that :p

viny,
    need to know how many times you have blown your fuse with your 10F cap:D
    why didn't you go for a high current battery
    typical 2F cap available for 4-5 K here .
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  3. Phew,
    may be issue discussed here is trivial for you but not for others. If you are concerned about server space , you may not add your comments to this thread.
    how can someone upgrade the OEM wire harness which connected to other loads? its not at all a practical approach
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

azeet:

1. You would not get entire capictor discharged in go if you properly calculated the max requirements and how many times you expect to touch max requirement and how much margin space you have added in addition to it. Get your peak RMS to AMP load requirement details, capacitor recharge and flux details and set it up accordingly. And charging capacitor doesnt make instant load on the battery. More over how much power your alternator is generating also plays a vital role in charging up capacitors.

2. 10F capacitor doesnt blow any fuse for us, not sure why you asked the same. Setup a system with over 2000 RMS and 10F helps a lot, even when there are regular high end punches.

We started with single battery, but then realized its not going to help both technically and practically so got a second battery, modified alternator too to more juice...thats some other story ..
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bold and italics be kind enough to read :D
  6. point no 1 : agreed fully with you. capacitor voltage will not dip below voltage across AMP. Just had concerns whether cap will act as additional load to battery while charging.Since you have used Caps in your setup and found it useful , one must give it a try.;)

Point no 2. fully discharged 10F capacitor when connected to power source (battery), initial current surge will be very high. Caps are near short when discharged.

Do we require second battery with same rating? thats a big question. a small 7 AH SMF battery in parallel and very close to AMP may solve the purpose (i have not done it practically). it does not require very high charging current (700 MA is sufficient) . this will not load the existing alternator.Only one concern is there: SMF batt are no good for automotive use.

One question : problem of dimming lights will become worse with your headlights on . does 10 F capacitor able to cater the problem

you are the only one crying about server space. If you do not agree to a point do in a decent manner on the forum.
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

Azeet: Fundamentally, use the voltmeter and note the reading, if it falls below 12V while you using all other gadgets in car, then one needs better alternator to overcome dimming effect. But if its occasional dimming of lights when you are playing music very loud and goes with relationship with high beats a capacitor can help to reduce that issue to certain effect, but for sure it cannot fix as its not a batttery to provide constant power supply if in total consumptions is more than what alternator can effectively provide in conjunction with battery.

A fully discharged 10F capacitor is charged using a resistance placed in between, like small bulb etc, same goes for discharge process.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    read pls
    Last time I checked I haven't referred u in any of my posts or asked for ur referral, then why are u "WHINING" like a kid. Better use time buying additional storage devices or batteries rather than cribbing, it will help us get the result sooner don't u think ???
  9. my mistake that i have reffered you in my post. Also i do not want english lessons from you. with attitude like this, you need to be ignored and other members will also agree.

any links for getting 2F cap cheap.

Mods Note- Avoid back to back posts. Use the edit button if you want to post more and no one else has replied in the thread since your last post.
  10. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Listen up back your comments up with your WORK and not your WORDS.
    "coz it ain braggin if you ain backin it"

ALL THE BEST(in good faith)
    waiting to see the results(read work not words)
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011