1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding capacitors!!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by jayadev, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Jaidev, i think there is some confusion in calculation of capacitance
    (4700*20)/1000000 =0.094 F only
    correct me if i am wrong
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats a wonderful link u found, but i've been thru it already, thanks alot anyways
    As for battery life, if that were to be true I know alot of people who would have already attempted it to get even the slightest more out of there car batteries. Theoretically yes it is possible but practically a little too ambitious(helping battery life).

Pls do go ahead, I love ur DIY attitude and never miss reading one.

ALL THE BEST

Harmony & Choas
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes azeet ,you are right .My bad maths.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Azeet .
    Since day one i was wondering why there was no desired results which i calculated. then i thought may be something mysterious and left it there.

as per my calculations it was supposed to cover whole power spectrum for 50 amps charge but after installation it did marginal improvements only.

going through my scrap book I saw that I myself divided it by 100000(left a zero) and never gave a second check.

Need to change the values in first post.
  6. Jayadev, you can get 33000MFD 25V cap from kits and spares
    http://shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1/productdescription.asp?id=52170427

but to achieve 1F you have to use 30 of such which will eat up lot of money and space
    you can use a 12 V 7 AH SMF battery instead.
  7. Viny,
    to get maximum service from any battery : (1)you should not draw massive currents . This reduces battery life (increases sulphasion rate of plates) (2) do not overcharge or deep discharge the battery.
    Adding a capacitor will not help if you want to increase battery life. If fact , all of us who are using AMPS are burdening the battery. This itself reduces life of the battery
    A 2F capacitor will cost you equal to battery you try to protect
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I do not think a battery is such a good alternative for ripple rejection as much as a good capacitor.

I will try to sort it out some or other way in cost effective manner .
    Not this time but soon.
  9. objective of this thread is to compensate the dimming effect caused due to high current demand of amplifiers.
    Phew has suggested some zero gauge wire which i believe is thicker and has less resistance. This will actually put more load on the battery (resistance is less then current will rise) and this cannot be the solution.
    putting capacitor will solve it completely i doubt it. suppose music has a prolonged bass punch. capacitors get discharged in order to compansate this demand but amplifier still requires more power. what will happen afterwards? amp load the battery again. when this phase is over, capacitor will draw power from battery .
    Battery is a slow capacitor. i think this will solve the probem. A 7 AH battery can supply as much as 10 A for a longer period without losing its terminal voltage.solution is worth trying because 1 SMF battery comes at a cost of Rs. 500 only.
  10. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kindly read the comments in italics
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011