1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding capacitors!!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by jayadev, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i am removing vinyl cover just to take pic of underside.
    i should have taken the shot before covering it ,out of excitement forgot to:uh

protection can be added but it would complicate the simple setup .
    with a current sensing resistor ,a relay, and two transistors- one for current sensing and other for switching relay.
    btw it is not needed as we are not playing with 10-20+ farads .1-2 farad is in safe limits imo.

90 106.jpg
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wrong rating. Punto has 12 V 50 Ah Battery. So edit the post with new calculations.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do we really need capacitors for such low powered setups :?: :?:
  4. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    @Bhai Sahab- He might have changed the battery to 12x60a...
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    jayadev, what precautions have you taken so that capacitors do not get blown out at high temperatures? If they blow out they may cause a lot of harm
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Those capacitors are rated for 85 degree Celsius so it is safe as of now remaining inside the cabin. Iam sure cabin temperature cannot go above 60degree under extreme conditions else the capacitors inside my amplifier will also start to explode.
    Yes the bursting of capacitors are bit harmful like it will spill all the electrolyte which stinks bad and possible short circuit cannot be overuled due to shooting materials due to explotions but i am sure they are not deadly.

My Sony monoblock amplifier is Rated at 600watts rms considering the battery of punto and cabling I have done , it is helpful and worth the installation.
    To drive a 600 watts amp it requires 50 ampere current carrying cables , would need guage 1 or 2 kind of wires which is not feasible or practical in my low end installation.
    In order to compensate cable losses capacitor is doing little bit of what it can do and results are very apparent. .
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rated and actual rms is diffrent, considering its a sony, it wont b generating tht much power or maybe ur using cables tht r jus not capable enough or mayb not put together properly, even a 2600 rs bull wiring kit can solve this problem. And thts not expensive for a low end setup

Appreciate ur DIY effort, time and knowledge u have put in is beyond appreciation but only thing is "is there really a need". Wiring kits are available from as low as 1500 rs which can easily handle 250-400 wrms, y would one need a capacitor.

Harmony & Choas
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The cabling is done by whatever available i.e. scosch e2 400 ,max ampere for 17feet= 20 amps.
    there is no improper way of connection it is all straight forward and direct like connecting a lamp to battery.
    When the system was istalled i expected it to work clean, but when i increased the volume it starved. So i sought a easy and cost effective method which helped.
    I cannot use even thicker cable through the side walls of my car , it is short of space.
    How come you can say it with such an authority,what is the problem with sony?

Sony XM-GTR3301D Mono Block Amplifier
    Channel Configuration 1 (Mono)
    Power Supply MOSFET Power Supply
    Maximum Output Power 1100W × 1 (at 2 ohms), 600W × 1 (at 4 ohms)
    Rated Output Power 600W × 1 / 1.0% (50Hz) (at 2 ohms), 330W × 1 / 1.0% (20-200Hz) (at 4 ohms)

capaciotor helps not for regular power requirements but for peak amplitudes.
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don think there is any shortage of space anywhere near the place u say, I have installed 0 gauge , 4 gauge, 10gauge wires in my punto without any space shortage, dont know where u found the space insufficient.

As for the amp part I don need no body to grant me athourity, it is a well versed fact that most amplifiers in india are overrated specially the likes of SONY, KENWOOD, and PIONEER. They generate no more than 65% of the rated power
    its rather easy to calculate

Take the fuse ratin of ur amp and multiply it by 12 and add to tht the efficiency of the respective class and ull know the true rating of ur amp

And I have nothin against sony or ur amp just incase. It was a general referral to all brands

Harmony & Choas
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If you are reffering "12" by the battery voltage then fine it will give rough estimates , if it is some other constant then i have no idea about such calculations.

BY the way my Monoblock has 30X2 i.e 60 amp fuse at rear side
    This sony monoblock is Class D amp, means 90-95 percent efficient with excellent damping factor. Hope you know about class D amps which is perfect for sub woofers applications.

Passing a 0 guage, 9 mllimeter conductor (with plastic coating will make it more than 1 cm) is not an easy job for me through the plastic encapsulation of punto. it is already crowded with numerous wires and trying to push even thicker wire through it may break those plastic clips and lugs i dont want that to happen in cost effective way of mine,i wonder how much a good 0 guage wire could cost .

My situation is that I am not not a regular loud listener with too much of boom boom. so I went with a low budget(Rs.27000 without HU) installation without breaking my FD.
    After it was all done, sometimes in those loud passage of beats or bass sequence i observed woofer loosing its stage which means power shortage.My immediate reaction as an electronic guy is reserve/backup power . Even though present capacitor is not even quarter of what i calculated yet this almost 1 farad has shown that it works.

I am not very sure if adding a 0 guage wire would sort out this issue of power shortage in our rides with 50 ah battery ,as i see all the lights dimming with higher power sound, which implies battery is not sufficient.
    As i am not a regular ICE installer my knowledge is also insufficient regarding the mysteries of cable and amps e.g amp and sub woofer is being driven by dynamic load i.e it is varying continually then the current travelling through the power cable might face an impedance issue along with the internal resistance which would ask for extremely high quality cables like van den hul type costing a bomb, though for general listening any kind of installation is more than adequate but when you look into subtleties everything becomes maddening .