1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding capacitors!!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by jayadev, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    addition of capacitor for ice power supply.::O

yes we face the issue of head lamps dimming ,distorted sound at heavy bass thumps.
    the solution is power supply conditioning.
    enquired about a 1 farad reservoir capacitor , it was expensive and rarely available .
    so i thought of DIY it.
    the pic is 20x4700 micro farad 25volt keltron capacitors in parallel.( 10000micro farad was prefered but again unavailable) that is 94000 micro farad total, almost near 1 farad that should be enough to notice some change..
    now it need a suitable cover.i wrapped it in a vinyl sheet and taped.
    diy capacitor have been installed ,connected parallel to subwoofer amp.

(sadly that made only 0.94 farads. not enough upto my expectations.)

light dimming has been reduced considerably. earlier at volume level of 16 head lamps would be dimming along with bass thumps.
    now i can go as high as 24th level. sounds cleans without distortion.
    beyond 24 it does distort . but with that much sound my eardrums are already about to blow up so no worries for time being. the oem HU have volume level upto 40 .

pic , the capacitor must be connected closest to amp with minimum length of cables.

please note the capacitors does not improve power of your batteries or alternator so do not expect higer power.
    what capacitor does is it compensate for voltage drop across the cables and instant surge requirement for bass thumps so more farads the better to an extend.

sometimes later i would be upgrading to 3 farads or 5 farads.

total cost
    20 capacitors=18x20=rs.360
    common pcb=rs.20
    wiring =rs.10

my labourcharge =priceless satisfaction!!!

DIY CAPACITOR.jpg

caps.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    This should go to DIY section! Excellent material! :)
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    but this is totally related to ice so i deleted it from diy and posted here instead.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this is awesome DIY. are they all in series? how much did it cost you in total? i wanna build a similar ones but it perfect cover or else the security guys in my company will suspect it to be a bomb, when they inspect my boot and start running :)
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Italia-Linea,
    all caps connected parallel.
    it costed me not more than 400 rupee.

it is better to make it with 10000mfd or higher value cap giving more farads at my place 4700 was only available.

caps schem.jpg
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    thanks, so what should be the target? say i get 10000mfd capacitors shall i use 10 of them?? or use more of them for say 1.5farad?

What about the connectors? what kind of connectors do i use? i have a 8 gauge scosche wiring kit.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    more the better. 10000x20 (25volts) would be ideal choice. giving you 2farad.
    be carefull about the polarity of caps . 10000mfd capacitor explodes deadly .

10 cm wires were soldered directly to the board (cap legs) the other end was connected to amp using spade terminal lugs

terminal_lugs_3.jpg
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Voted 5 stars. Excellent thread Jayadev. Hope you will put up more close up pics of the set up. :)
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i repeat additon of capacitors should not be taken wrongly . our punto battery is 12x60a= 720watts.
    if your amp is consuming anything above 720watts means only one thing will help changing battery and alternator .

this capacitors helps battery by reserving full voltage for a brief instant when a loud bass or thump demands too much current.
    unlike batteies which are much slower to deliver power capacitors charges and discharges instantly so amp gets what it needs for peak performance briefly
    how does it help actually.
    consider battery voltage is 12 volts.

a 1000 watt amp may demand 83.33 ampere current. (1000watts/12=83.3)

if there is cable ( we know there is our power cable ) with 0.1ohm resistance(every conductor have internal resistance) let us see what power we receive at the end of cable

v=current ^sqaure x resistance.
    12/.1=current^square
    square root of 120=10.95volts.
    10.95 volt at 83.33 will produce only 833.3 watts out of 1000watts amplifier. so you lose 170+ watts just in the cable.

so a capacitor at the end of cable remains charged at 12v potential and aid the high power demand of amplifier
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    can you please post pics of the reverse side of the board please? also is it possible to add an protection circuit to avoid amp fuse blowing off in case these capacitors pump more?