1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding Bluetooth/USB/AUX functionality to Punto Emotion

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by aditya, Jun 1, 2010.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The objective

Convert a 7" Android Tablet into a complete infotainment centre in my Oct 2010 Linea T-Jet

Functions

1. GPS Navigation - Done. See my thread
    2. Engine health scan and more - ELM OBD2 Scanner ordered. Troque Pro app bought and installed
    3. Play music and audio tracks of videos from the tablet - This is the challenge

To achieve this, an Aux-In is mandatory.
    WP_000155.jpg

The circuit printed on the HU does show Aux-In pins, but they are used by B&M. If we refer the attached wiring diagram (Sorry, could not find an English version), we can see that the wiring logic is like this:

1. B&M reads the audio file from the USB
    2. The Audio codec/processor in the B&M unit streams this to the Aux-In on the HU
    3. HU plays the music

Therefore, we can safely assume that, should we connect wires to the 3 pins - Aux L, Aux R and Aux Gnd - with a 3.5 mm jack on the other end, we must be able to play music from any device with a 3.5 mm stereo out. However, this would mean that we will lose the ability to play music from the USB on B&M (Might lose additional functionality too, not sure). However, if we splice the Aux wires on the ISO connector and attach the 3.5 mm stereo pin, we must be able to use both functionality, or would we?

I believe, there would be logic built into the B&M unit to recognize the device attached to the USB port and will be able to mute that, when a call comes in. This being the case, I doubt if the parallel Aux cable would work without a device plugged into the USB drive. But that would mean playing 2 tracks simultaneously. Audacity to the rescue. This software would allow us to create a MP3 track, with just silence. Yes, there is an option to generate SILENCE, which creates a MP3 track of whatever duration we specify with just silence.

Theoretically, if we put this on a pen drive, use the B&M's media player to play this, while simultaneously playing Audio output from the device connected to the 3.5 mm stereo jack, we should be able to achieve what we set out to do. However, the catch is, if a call comes, B&M will not mute the device's sound input. It will only mute silence :D

All of this is theory. I am planning on trying this out this weekend. Watch this space for updates. Will start a new thread if successful and post up the link here.

Experts - Could you please suggest any method of wiring up for the mute functionality as well?

Rajan

PS: No. I am not going to splice up any wires. I have figured out a way of removing the pin in the ISO connector, crimping the extra wire and fitting it back :D

PPS: I have the entire car's wiring diagrams. Please feel free to ask me if anyone needs any of them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
  3. solomon13

solomon13 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi PatchyBoy,

i have a 2012 Punto dynamic. Can you help me in setting up the uSB/aux connectivity.
  4. Puntoed

Puntoed Amatore

Austin / Blr
    For 2012 active and dynamic models USB/Aux connectivity is not possible . This has been discussed in earlier pages .
  5. solomon13

solomon13 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    From the last comment of PAtchyBoy.. i think that he succeeded in connecting aux. hence was requesting his help...
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    It is possible in emotion because it has USB conenctivity so there is a aux option in it, but it is not possible in active and dynamic variants AFAIK if it is 2012 model.

If yours is an old model you can try by pressing CD button twice, if you get AUX option then there is a possiblity else forget it.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I do not get the AUX option on pressing the CD button twice, but was still able to set up Aux-In. There is some amount of compromise involved, though. Why don't you guys please read this post of mine in the other thread?

Rajan
  8. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Hey Patchboy,

I did read the post of yours. In active and dynamic variants we don't have USB or Blue and Me. Even if we have Aux ports(I'll be checking it out this weekend) how is it possible to make the HU go from CD to AUX option?

My only guess here is to use AF in AF out and AF grnd pins. Not sure wether they will work though.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
  10. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

nice if it works.. i asked the same question in another thread.. Can mobile phone connect to two devices at once.. or connecting to the dongle helps retain all the functions of a BnM, like accepting & retuning calls?