1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Adding an electrical connection through the front door connectors

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by pdydeva, Oct 10, 2013.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Hello,

I am trying to add an electrical wire connection through the door connectors using the dummy slots available.

Any help to source the kind of pin used as shown in the pictures will be appreciated. Hope they are crimp pins.

IMG_20131006_160118.jpg IMG_20131006_160349.jpg

@patchyboy: I know it's your area. Let me know if you have explored it already.

Should these pins work?
    163082-1 TE Connectivity | 1.57mm pin contact 18.5-15.5AWG typ 3 Sn | 680-6712 | Welcome to RS Online
    1-66099-4 TE Connectivity | Contact Pin Crimp 18-16AWG Commercial | 756-1195 | Welcome to RS Online
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    A step by step on how to open these connectors will be great. I have not yet got to it. I have plans for puddle lights, door open hazard lights and ORVM mounted turn indicators. I want to do all of them at the same time, so I do not have to open these connectors again and again.

The connectors you have linked are not the same as OE connectors. They are round pin type connectors, where as the OE is blade type connector. Something like this. We may need to order from UK/US. If you are OK, we can do a group buy.

Rajan
  3. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Sure I'll update here how to open these connectors. My current plans are to install the ORVM LED indicators only.

Right, now they appear round to me (initially it was looking flat to my eyes). I was wondering if we'll be able to source any of these pins in SP road, so that a trial & error approach for the exact pin match won't shoot holes in our pocket. I'm OK with group buy too.
  4. rpm19050

rpm19050

Delhi
    rajan, i hope you have explored element14 india and mouser for connector needs already?

anybody thought of adding blind spot cams like in volvo s60? :p
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Searched all local stores and was not able to find these type of pins. Some more pics

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg
  6. rpm19050

rpm19050

Delhi
    explore TE connector products on in.element14.com for these, vijay. unable to find the flat ones from earlier - rajan seems to have found the best match. also, can we have some more pics of the connector housing and the connector itself - the one you posted is completely out of focus?
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Wonderful. Let me also try to get the exact pictures of the pins over the weekend.
  9. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    well in absence of connectors, people pass the wire through it and other side of the connectors holes they put pop in joints.

Even i didnt got the right set of pins hence door related works are still pending.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Looking forward to the guide on the connectors as well..

Rajan do you have any thoughts on how to wire the puddle/door open lights ? A separate door open trigger somewhere ? The easiest solution would be to tap the dome lights but then the puddle/door lights would come on every time you switch the interior lights on , even if the doors are closed. (Similar to what a certain someone has right now :()
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013