1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Actual Unladen GC of Punto EPK 2011 model - 136mm - HELP

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ginnupotter, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ginnupotter

ginnupotter

Delhi
    Hi All,

I am taking my Punto to Ladakh coming friday. Until last week i was relaxed about the GC of my car as i rarely scrape the underbelly and mostly what touches ground is the lower tip of front bumper. Thus i did not think about the GC upgrade as well.

However on Saturday i went to Kashyap FIAT, Noida for a final check up before the trip and found that actually my phone (Nexus 4 - around 134 mm height) barely fits under the car. I tried the under the front fender and the engine guard. Also with 4 passengers the phone was not even fitting straight under the car. I compared with new 2012 models and found that the engine guard was atleast 1.5 inch further above the phone.

Even an older 2010 Active variant with 14inch wheels had bigger space between ground and engine guard than my car. I got the suspension checked and nothing wrong was found.

This means that unladen GC of my car is hardly 135mm and with passengers is goes down to approx 125 mm

I still dont hit the underbelly but the actual GC number and the difference when compared to other puntos is what bothers me. I still have 3 days to go before trip and can probably go for the GC upgrade kit but would having such a critical job done before a trip be advisable? In case of any lapse in the execution it may cost me dearly during the trip.

One point to note is, my tyres are 35k km old, although they still have atleast 5-7 k km life left.

Please suggest what may be the problem, could it be a case of my shockers being depressed permanently?
  2. ginnupotter

ginnupotter

Delhi
    I just checked the car again and it seems the front shockers are not returning back up fully. I tried to lift the car from the side and then checked the GC and it was higher.

Again i sat in the car, came back out and saw the GC and it was back to the lower value. I do not see any leakage in the shockers. Are shockers covered under warranty and what could be the issue if there is no leakage?