1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Active Shutter Grille Vents - How They Help Improve Fuel Efficiency

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by asimpleson, Dec 6, 2013.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Friends,

This post is created to understand and discuss the various merits (demerits if any) of an —

Active Shutter Grill Vent System

Active Grille Shutter System.jpg
    image shared from Flickr Under Creative Commons License http://bit.ly/195jadH

[HR][/HR]What are active shutter grille vents, and how do they work? An excerpt of the Description of what it means and how it helps.

Using a series of small shutters similar to the ones you’d find on certain window blinds--and an electric motor--cars like the Chevrolet Cruze Eco,Ford Focus SFE and Dodge Dart Aero can automatically close part or all of the grille, reducing or stopping the air flow to the engine bay.

The reduction in air flow reduces drag, making the car slip through the air more easily. This, in turn, reduces the amount of energy needed to push the car along, increasing gas mileage.

If the engine gets too hot, the active shutter system can automatically reopen the grille, ensuring much-needed air can reach the radiator and prevent engine overheating.

Please check the website for further info. All credit of article to the author and website viz.
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079678_active-shutter-grille-vents-how-they-help-improve-mpg
    [HR][/HR]

[HR][/HR]Kindly post all your intelligent queries and further findings in this thread to make it's content rich..Thanks!
    [HR][/HR]​
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    How are these designed in our FIAT cars?
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

This technology doesn't exist in our Fiats.

And I feel this technology wouldn't give much gains for our tropical climatic conditions. :)
    2 people like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    IIRC, modern Fiats have low drag coefficient, which probably don't not need partial grill blocks or active shutter grill system. These could still do wonders if tweaked well. I think, these maybe especially useful in cold climates where engine temperature issues are more relevant.
    If we have Autobahn like roads the speeds could definitely benefit with partially or fully closed shutter grills.

The technology looks very promising and would be a standard fitment someday for cars or vehicles that have cramped engine compartments and those that have airdrag issues.

Currently the systems are optional on some cars abroad and cost an extra US$150 approx. depending upon the brand.

I might have to disagree there. It has certain benefits that would apply to vehicles where speed is compromised since vehicular design does'nt permit a low drag coefficient ratio.

Just wondered what miracle it would do to my Fiat Siena TD. Combined with the peak sun one could cook an omlette on it's bonnet within no time! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  5. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    When I started reading the thread I assumed the blinds to stop the air flow is on the grille, however the image shows that it is embedded to the radiator. The reason I could think of is cutting the air flow to the radiator is not feasible, hence it is designed to stop the air that enters through the radiator into the engine bay, and this design will always provide the much needed air flow to carry away heat from radiator irrespective of the blinds open/close position. Also, it should be designed to not block the air intake.

Considering the above I think it is easier to design these blinds for vehicles with has very wide front body/girlle.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Seems like you have changed opinions and also edited the post in no time. First I remember seeing you agree and after a while it is disagree. :D

Well, for Indian climatic conditions, even if we have those active vents, it would be open only for most of the time.

I never brought in drag coefficient into the picture and it is not going to be anything special for India.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    No you dont need to bring drag coefficient it in picture, it's already there. :D It's relevant to the answer is all.

And yes, I did read your post wrongly at first to which I corrected my reply within time, you must have read it while the edit was going on.
    I even changed the order in which the message was typed, hope you noticed that as well. :cool:
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Interesting viewpoint on the design aspect of the radiator. What you say makes sense. We need more data to confirm it. Thanks for your input rajks.
    1 person likes this.